Mercedes dealer oil prices

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

m2m

Car
AMG GTS ED1
Hi,

Had my 2 yr old B220 cdi on a B service. I was charged over £100 for the engine oil alone. Is that normal?
My 2010 ML350 CDI blue efficiency is due the service in a few days and noticed it had an 8.5 litre capacity and did not want to get spanked in the same manner by purchasing the oil myself separately and giving it to the dealer.
thanks

Hi, I purchase my oil from a garage on Eb*y -

10L Genuine Mercedes Benz 5W30 Low Ash SAPS Engine Oil MB229.51 Fully Synthetic
£35.98 inc post.

Auction Item number - 181891084086

You would have to check if it's suitable for 350cdi (mine is 220 cdi)

Last edited:
Hi,

Had my 2 yr old B220 cdi on a B service. I was charged over £100 for the engine oil alone. Is that normal?
My 2010 ML350 CDI blue efficiency is due the service in a few days and noticed it had an 8.5 litre capacity and did not want to get spanked in the same manner by purchasing the oil myself separately and giving it to the dealer.
thanks

Seems a bit eye watering

The cost of oil you mention is fairly typical. Buy the 20 litre container from the parts counter at the dealer who is servicing your car, it should cost around £60, and you'll take more than half of it home with you, ready for the next service.

Just ask the service department in advance to make sure they're happy to use oil provided by you in this way, albeit from their own parts counter. Most are happy to, but best to check first. It may be a good idea to call the parts department to make sure they have plenty too.

cheers everyone for the advice and help, I have a pretty decent relationship with the dealer and a long history with 2 Benz's and 2 AMG's on the driveway!

Another question when it comes to the AMG's do they use a different grade of oil or the same? One is 2013 the other just 4 months old.

cheers

I always supply the oil when mine gets serviced , as long as it meets the Mercedes specification they will have no problem using it.

I always use mobil1 in the E55

Just picked up Mobil1 0-40 £29.95 For 5 litre from Costco for the CL and the S-Class

cheers everyone for the advice and help, I have a pretty decent relationship with the dealer and a long history with 2 Benz's and 2 AMG's on the driveway!

Another question when it comes to the AMG's do they use a different grade of oil or the same? One is 2013 the other just 4 months old.

cheers

Mercedes stock both. I recall that the AMG spec oil was marginally more exp naive but at £60 for 20 litres it's still excellent value.

I buy my 1 litre top ups of Mobil 1 from Drayton MB and it's £13 I think. £5 cheaper than Halfrauds.

Bobby Dazzler said:
The cost of oil you mention is fairly typical. Buy the 20 litre container from the parts counter at the dealer who is servicing your car, it should cost around £60, and you'll take more than half of it home with you, ready for the next service. Just ask the service department in advance to make sure they're happy to use oil provided by you in this way, albeit from their own parts counter. Most are happy to, but best to check first. It may be a good idea to call the parts department to make sure they have plenty too.

Hi,

The parts guy at Mercs said that was for trade sale only.
So I got done over. Shame really.

Cheers for advice

I have a pretty decent relationship with the dealer and a long history with 2 Benz's and 2 AMG's on the driveway!

If you have a good relationship with them then you should get a decent overall price for the service and then you have to just ignore how they break the invoice down.

Even 10+ yrs ago, my dealer was charging £15+VAT per litre, so well over £100 for my C Class. They suggested to me that I should supply my own oil - I'd never heard of doing that before, but they cheerfully used it and didn't even add an oil disposal charge.

It meant a very cheap 1st service but from a busines point-of-view I found it incredible they'd just throw away so much profit. After that they agreed more acceptable overall pricing so I haven't had to bother buying oil.

Now my dealer would not let me supply my own oil. I sat and argued that I can get 10 litres of Mobil 1 for £60 and you are going to charge me £160. I got a discount and paid only £80 for the oil.

HB said:
Now my dealer would not let me supply my own oil. I sat and argued that I can get 10 litres of Mobil 1 for £60 and you are going to charge me £160. I got a discount and paid only £80 for the oil.

Good for you. Unfortunately no time for me to do it.

I buy Mobil 1 from Costco for the SL, and the dealership I go to (M-B Guildford) is happy to use that. I get a 40% discount on the service too (because of the age of the car), 15% off parts, and £10 MOTs.

As an aside I think it's pretty standard for dealers (all makes) to make a huge margin on oil. Porsche certainly do (according to my neighbour, who works for Porsche UK).

Hi, I purchase my oil from a garage on Eb*y -

10L Genuine Mercedes Benz 5W30 Low Ash SAPS Engine Oil MB229.51 Fully Synthetic
£35.98 inc post.

Auction Item number - 181891084086

You would have to check if it's suitable for 350cdi (mine is 220 cdi)

Bought this recently too. 20l is even cheaper

20L Genuine Mercedes Benz Engine Oil 5W30 Low Ash MB229.51 Fully Synthetic | eBay

I bought a service kit from MB Coldstream for my 190E and asked for a quote for 5l of their 10w-40 Semi Synthetic. £90!!! :eek: I got some Mobil oil from Halfrauds instead for £18.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom