Mercedes Dealership - Salisbury : My experience

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benson

I recently purchased a 1 year old C220 CDI Sport (W204) from the Mercedes Dealership in Salisbury. My previous vehicle had been supplied by their sister Dealership in Poole and the service and experience was absolutely first class. Not so with Salisbury!

My wife and I visited the Dealership to view and test drive a vehicle we had seen advertised. Upon returning from the test drive, the salesman made a comment "please do not ask me for money off" which we found odd given that we had not even talked figures at that stage. True to his word, the salesman would not budge on the price or any additional accessories. Not by even 1p!! This was the start of the erosion of the "buying experience" that they hold so dear. I had been interested in having a Universal Media Interface fitted and given I was spending £22k cash, thought there may be some room for negotiation with this. No way, niet, Nada!! The saleman would not move from the £899 being quoted to anyone else off the street. Even offering £800 cash just elicited a blank stare and refusal.

If my wife had not been so taken with the vehicle, I would have walked away.

We wanted to transfer a cherished number from the current car to the new one and as well as the usual DOT fees, were charged £45 for the trouble. We were quoted a transfer time of up to 2 weeks which seemed excessive but subsequently turned into closer to 4 weeks!! We were not kept updated with how things were going and had to actually call the Dealership to find out progress.

The handover of the vehicle is promoted as a "great experience" and true, it is quite in-depth. The handover executive put a few brochures into the Pack he was assembling and recommended looking at these at our leisure in due course. That evening, I perused the brochures only to find that one of them was a membership to their Mercedes Owners Club. This entitled the member to a 10% discount on accessories so I could have had this applied to the fitting of a UMI but no mention had been made of this at all. Strange!

Within a few days, I received the customary "customer service Call" to see if we were happy with the car. I confirmed this was the case but then referred to the various points above which were greeted with an "Oh Dear, that is unfortunate. I will mention it to the Sales Manager." This gave me encouragement that I would most likely receive a follow-up call from the Sales Manager to apologise and even offer a slight reduction on the UMI fitting as a gesture of goodwill. Did that happen???......No. Nothing. Not a postcard. Not a call. Zilch!

The upshot is that as is customary, I have told 20 people of my experience, who have told 20 people, who will have told 20 people....

The most disappointing aspect is that the Dealership gave all the indications that they were very good at customer service but I guess I was saying things they did not want to hear and they just hoped it would go away.

I will now be arranging for the UMI to be fitted at Poole with the 10% discount and will steer clear of Salisbury for servicing etc.

Unfortunately, I cannot recommend Salisbury due to this experience which is a shame as their sister Dealership in Poole was first-class.

Did they charge £45 on top of the DVLA fee of £80? If so thats a bit cheeky as all it takes is 10 minutes to fill a form and a stamp!

It doesnt sound like a particularly bad experience to me.. the sales guy probably wouldnt have clicked about the 10% discount.. £35 to join the club just to get £80 off isnt really worth mentioning IMO. Also you have to wait for the membership card to come through before getting any discounts.

Used car sales is extremely busy at the moment and if the advertised price is fair then you wont get deals anywhere as sourcing good cars is just too difficult right now.
Most in the used car trade are sick of customers using the credit crunch card as it couldnt be more opposite for this industry at the moment.
Its very very busy but screen prices have to be competitive to be able to sell.. on the other side, trade buying prices have gone up so squeezing dealer margins - hence why he said to you.. sorry no discount.

I often do say to customers that I dont mind going for a test drive but I do have to inform you that there will not be any movement from the screen price...It hasnt caused any offence but this usually sorts the buyers from the tyre kickers.

Last edited:
Yes, I did get charged £45 on top of the £80 fees. In fact it was £145 in total.

I thought the experience was not a patch on my previous one at the Poole dealership. You don't generally pay that sort of money changing your car on a frequent basis so the experience is a great chance for the Dealership to promote themselves. This happened at Poole but not at Salisbury.

If, as you believe, it was not a bad experience then I would suggest less emphasis is made of playing the customer service card, particularly if nothing is done about poor feedback. If the industry generally is run off their feet currently, lets hope it continues because in leaner times, customer service experience will be remembered.

Fair enough, I completely understand what you are saying but compared to some of the experiences we hear about it seems all good.

You bought a car that you are happy with and the car itself is fine?

They didnt really do much wrong apart from not negotiate?

So you had a "bad experience" - didn't think you were treated well...........and................bought the car.

Was it the only one in the UK ?....

If they are associated with the Poole dealership - why didn't you just go back there and tell them about your experience and get them to source one for you at a price you agreed with.....you never know it may well have been the one you tested.

I am pleased with the car and maybe the experience was not the worst in the world. I thought it better to let the actual Dealership that provided the lower grade service know about it rather than their associated company in Poole. At least it gives them a chance to rectify it for the future.

The lower standards of customer service within the UK is obviously becoming an accepted norm if two members on here think my experience was acceptable. I am surprised.

No - I didn't say I found it acceptable. In fact I may well have walked away from the deal.

What I was trying to say, and I apologise if I didn't make it clear, was that if Poole is such a good dealership and you have a good relationship with them - why do a deal with a guy you obviously didn't like.

I'm sure Poole would have gotten a car for you at a mutually agreeable price.

Don't see the issue tbh.

The bloke said there was no room for negotiation in the price right from the get go. If that was unacceptable you could have looked elsewhere.

Same for the goodies you added.

They charged you an admin fee for the plate transfer. If you felt it was too high could you not have done it yourself?

The official MB Club benefits are well known & have been written about on this forum many a time. They've been around over 50 years - The Mercedes-Benz Club

My wife was pretty much taken with the car and we had already travelled up from Bournemouth. Given there was no problem with the car in itself, it would have just increased the hassle factor for us personally to just walk away. I do understand your point though. Thanks

It was nothing to do with the official MB Club. It is a Club for mercedes owners bought from the 3 Dealerships in the Group. Jaymanek made the same assumption in his reply where he quoted the £35 fee. This particular Owners Club is free membership once you buy a car from the 3 Dealerships.

Not getting 10% off the extras was a valid complaint. The salesman is losing the dealership profit by not promoting the discount and therby losing the garage work and sales.

Personally I would have told the salesman to keep his car and his UMI and found another one for sale that was better/cheaper. The longer you hold off buying the chance of a better deal alw
ays increases.

Salisbury MB

Sorry to hear that you had a poor experience at Salisbury, we use them quite a bit both on sales and service and moved over from Poole due to the poor service received there. We recently re-visited Poole to look for a new vehicle and after being kept waiting for quite a while, the test drive offered was an up the road only and product knowledge was poor. As for servicing in Poole, last time we tried to use them I was kept waiting at the prescribed service desk (they work in teams or did do then) for what seemed like an age even though service personnel from another team were sat doing not alot. They couldn't help me as I was not booked under their team??!!!

I am guessing the sales chap picked up on your eagerness to buy the car, so played the 'no discount mate' game. You could have popped down to Poole to see your contact there and had the car transferred over to them for purchase, they will do that if they are interested in the sale.

I am pleased with the car and maybe the experience was not the worst in the world. I thought it better to let the actual Dealership that provided the lower grade service know about it rather than their associated company in Poole. At least it gives them a chance to rectify it for the future.

The lower standards of customer service within the UK is obviously becoming an accepted norm if two members on here think my experience was acceptable. I am surprised.

Totally agree with that.
Customer service in the UK isn't a patch on some other countries, e.g. USA & South Africa.
It does seem the norm that this is accepted behaviour for salespeople here.
The solution is - vote with your feet and wallet and go to someone who will treat the customer with the respect they deserve.

Maybe I'm just an old fart, but I was brought up to treat people with respect (not that I'm saying that you weren't) and that includes giving the best service possible.

I have recently bought my first Benz from this dealership. A secondhand C220 Coupe. The whole deal was good. Fair offer on my part ex. I also got the remainder of the VED back, forms supplied by the salesman, my number plate transferred no charge. It was on retention. We had a bit of give on the price. Having picked the car up, after two weeks noticed a poor paint match repair at the rear of the car. I took it back complained and the fault was put right the next week. Superb service from all at the dealer. I would try them first and I have dealers nearer to me in Portsmouth and Southampton.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom