Mercedes Dealership Service ! I'm Not Happy !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

55NF

Car
BMW / Golf GTD MK8
I've recently (last 14 days) purchased an E Class W212 from a franchised Mercedes dealer, and I have to say the service has been shocking. So much so that I feel I must get some advice here.

The car is the best I found after searching, and I like it.

Firstly, I collected it and the floor mats were missing. Checked the advert later & sure enough it said mats included. That is now resolved and the dealer has sent a set of mats to me. Are these usually included in any case?

Secondly, the Comand/Nav is 2011 V4. I understand that during routine servicing the Comand/ Maps etc should be updated free within the first 3 years?.. am I correct? The car is a Nov 2011 (61).

I queried this map update and the dealer advised it should have been updated, but wasn't.

I arranged with the dealership to drop the car in and leave it while the maps were updated as well as Comand to the latest firmware etc.

This cost me a days lost business as it is a 200 mile round trip to the dealer in question.

I dropped the car off, collected it 5 hours later & presumed all had been updated. This is a Mercedes dealership afteral and I had no reason to suspect it all hadn't been updated.

However, I checked the maps yesterday and was horrified to see the same map version!!! 2011! This would mean that Comand firmware hasn't been updated either! I am hopping mad about this as it was a complete wasted trip.

One days lost business / revenue for me and work has NOT been carried out! On top of that I was left waiting for 40 minutes to get my car back when I collected as the Service Dept forgot about me!

Surely the map updates / Comand firmware should be updated during the PDI ? or am I wrong?

It is clear they don't want you as a customer, stop using them - consider a Lexus.

Yes I'm serious.

A local MB dealer (and I would suggest finding a good one as the odd one or two are out there - if you post up your region someone maybe able to recommend) can resolve warranty issues.

Yes, just ask to see paperwork that they are indeed a Dealership. That one gets sprung on you too.

Get out of the MB network it is just too corrupt to be taken seriously. Go find a good indie, there are a few on here, they will look after you MUCH better than any Dealership.

It is clear they don't want you as a customer, stop using them - consider a Lexus.

Yes I'm serious.

My local Lexus dealership (Cheltenham) treats me like a GOD when I take the GS in there, they're fantastic.

My local Merc Dealer (Staverton) won't even tell me a part number in case I buy it cheaper off the internet....then order the wrong bloody one anyway..

Fortunately I pay a retainer to a local garage and have access to the workshop when they're shut for business and just do the work myself and they order my parts at trade (not that Merc do much of a discount for trade)..

Dealerships are definitely Mercedes Achillies heel..

Last edited:
You are rightfully upset, but mats and maps are peripheral, if the car is good then just find another dealer or garage going foreward and enjoy the car.

^ Yes, before it gets a lot worse....

Going outside the main dealer network for Comand/Map updates probably isn't possible on that car. I think it needs to be connected to STAR for the update, which then gets data from the main MB server in Germany. It probably didn't get done in the first place because it ties up the dealer's STAR for far too long.

Going outside the main dealer network for Comand/Map updates probably isn't possible on that car. I think it needs to be connected to STAR for the update, which then gets data from the main MB server in Germany. It probably didn't get done in the first place because it ties up the dealer's STAR for far too long.

I believe the maps can be updated outside the MB official dealer network, but it won't be for free.

See this thread http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/general-discussion/178419-free-comand-map-updates.html

I can confirm that it is not a requirement to have it done at time of service but the dealer prefers it to be done then as the car needs to sit for 4-5 hours with a battery charger/power source and has to be monitored occasionally…….the service desk insisted it was MB policy but the service manager agreed that it wasn't and chastised the mouthy tartlet who lied outright to me……….I mentioned my 'confusion' because of published Daimler/MB policy (as per link).

I asked if the service code for the map update could be generated and put to one side until the service was due. They hadn't thought of that, generated the download code and did the update during the service earlier this month when the car was over three years old with no charge to the dealer or to us. Sorted.

Well I find a lot of people working in mercedes dealers have there heads shoved firmly up there a... , I'm not in to the class thing and it annoys me , it's a bit like a Royal reporter thinking they are the Royal ones lol , I also owned a lexus and they really know how to look after customers and it would be nice the mercedes took a leaf from their book.

Last edited:
Fortunately the cars are better than the dealer network, find a good Indi in your area.

Well I find a lot of people working in mercedes dealers have there heads shoved firmly up there a... , I'm not in to the class thing and it annoys me , it's a bit like a Royal reporter thinking they are the Royal ones lol , I also owned a lexus and they really know how to look after customers and it would be nice the mercedes took a leaf from their book.

I agree although I'm not convinced it applies only to Mercedes dealers, or dealers of "posh" marques generally. Renault and Nissan dealers were as bad in the Summer.

Audi in Solihull managed to pip Porsche in Sutton Coldfield to being the most able to look down their nose at customers. At least Porsche Sutton Coldfield have a friendly side because they can be quite pleasant if you arrive in a car that meets their approval (don't try it in an Omega like I did), whereas Audi Solihull give you dirty looks regardless. Or maybe it's just me :dk::D

I wonder if it's people, not dealerships.

In the last couple of weeks my main dealer fitted a new Xenon bulb FOC (and asked if I wanted the car washed as it came out of the workshop) and gave me some valuable info on a car I was contemplating buying from another dealer.

Very friendly.

You have a new car and fit the profile of the person they want to do business with. Others don't.
I spent years building relationships with Dealership staff, they all left once it fell under new management, the one or two I couldn't stand stayed.

Dealerships do not want people who are particular about their cars, who have cars that they no longer sell on the yard, or who will maintain a car rather than buy a new one.
They will show you the door.

Dealerships do not want people who are particular about their cars, who have cars that they no longer sell on the yard, or who will maintain a car rather than buy a new one.
They will show you the door.

This isn't my experience - though my profile is that I always buy approved used and this dealership ends up getting the warranty/service work for the period of the warranty, and probably beyond (with this car).

Most car salesmen or "sales executives" as they like to be known these days can be very fickle towards customers. In dealerships they tend to be held together by the dealer principle and he is the guy you should contact if you have a gripe.
I had two new Audi A4 avant from year 2000 till 2006 the first one was brilliant the second one was a dog. I fell out with the dealer over quality problems and their approach or attitude with me. Basically they lost a lifetime Audi customer and I went to a Merc dealer and bought new. That dealer was OK for the first 3 years and when I didn't trade the Merc in as I had originally intended, they lost interest in me. I kept that car for 6 years instead of 3 and went back to them again to negotiate a new Merc. The salesman turned out to be really hopeless, didn't return calls on two occasions, dint turn up for one appointment I made with him and lost interest during final negotiations for the trade in and purchase details, even got the pricing wrong on options, he also wasn't going to let on that Merc had a 3 year free service offer on, so I walked out. Found a Mercedes owned dealership to be much more attentive than the franchised dealer, I purchase a new B class fully loaded in September this year, from Mercedes Macclesfield, 250 miles from my home!

You are rightfully upset, but mats and maps are peripheral, if the car is good then just find another dealer or garage going foreward and enjoy the car.

I realise they're peripherals, but the original Ad had them listed as included, (Velour AMG mats) and they weren't. Dealer has now sent them on to me as per the Ad.

The main issue is Command

I spent years building relationships with Dealership staff, they all left once it fell under new management, the one or two I couldn't stand stayed.

We have 4 cars in the family fleet of different makes, all franchised dealer bought and serviced. It's very rare to deal with same person twice in any job or at any level of the company in any of the dealerships.

On the Mercedes, I'm bemused by how often the service manager (I think the last one rejoiced in the title "After Sales Director") changes and a mechanic there remarked to me that the sales people change so often he doesn't even try and remember their names any more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom