Mercedes Dieselgate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grober

MB Master
Car
W204 ESTATE
Last edited:
That was an interesting read. Have not seen so many mealy-mouthed words and corporate squirming for many years.

Wonder how much Mercedes and Bosch spent on legal fees in the attempt to get the class action dismissed.

Looks to me that most of the issues have survived for determination. Could be quite expensive for Mercedes and Bosch.

Missed this before but with this new court ruling it looks as if the plaintifs have been given the go-ahead for a class action similar to VW in the USA?
Diesel lawsuit proceeds against Mercedes-Benz

some more detail on the ruling here
Mercedes, Bosch class-action emissions lawsuit can proceed, U.S. judge rules
Those are the ‘cheating devices’ - the EU are now pursuing the Adblue ‘cartel’. No doubt the American courts will follow !

Mercedes Emissions Recall 2019

I had my 2015 220d engine emissions recall done earlier this year. Since then I have noticed that my urban and mixed fuel consumption figures are at least 10-20 percent worse off than before the ncap update. This applies in hot or cold weather. Motorway type cruising does not seem to be affected. Adblue consumption appears to be normal.

Has anyone else experienced this relatively costly change?

Think we speculated about this before but its likely to be associated with increased operation of the EGR VALVE. NOx is reduced by lowering combustion gas temperature by partial recirculation of exhaust gases. This is likely to reduce the overall thermal efficiency of the engine and increase fuel consumption for miles travelled ??

Is anyone surprised at this ? Really ? History will show that German car manufactures are (will be shown as) world leaders in 'cheat' technology when it comes to Diesel vehicles.

If you live in Europe and have bought one of these vehicles don't hold your breath in the expectation of getting any compensation from them. Not going to happen.

Don't dispair

Our 1.5 DCI Qashqai went in for its safety update a few years ago (11reg Euro5 Ren/Nissan/Merc A class diesel engine)
In short, it runs better now than when it went in, although that is down to the remap I had on before and after, so it may not be bad news, as long as the coding is good.

Long version.....when we got the car back, I plugged in the Superchips Bluefin remap device (as it had one on it)
I was rejected stating it a different car (map is for one ECU only)

Superchips used mine as a test bed for a post 'safety'update nginee as they would get a lot of these in, it's a very popular engine and they had a lot of customers with it.
They had a nose around and commented on a lot of files being re written by Nissan, not just a thermal efficiency work as we were told it related to.

They left them well alone, reviewed and developed an update map which I flashed and have been using with no issue for 3 years or so since (had the original on for a year)
Long story short, it performs as well if not better than pre- work with mpg in excess of 55 on runs and plenty of power, though I had hardly driven it without the remap after the work was done

So it may not be bad news.....

Thanks for the replies. My engine is the 220d R4 M651 Euro 6 spec.

I do feel that performance in all settings has been subdued slightly, therefore more throttle is required. The change was noticeable immediately the recall was done. Its been about 6 months since it was done. On a long out of town run I can get it up to 49 mpg. Around town, its hard work to get it over 24mpg even using the stop/start system at lights etc.

Nowhere near the Urban Mercedes original published figures for the GLC.

Think we speculated about this before but its likely to be associated with increased operation of the EGR VALVE. NOx is reduced by lowering combustion gas temperature by partial recirculation of exhaust gases. This is likely to reduce the overall thermal efficiency of the engine and increase fuel consumption for miles travelled ??
May also be some changes (retard) to injection timing and/or reduced boost pressure which also reduces combustion temp. There would be an increase in particulates, so extra load for the DPF and associated fuel consumption increase due to reduced thermal efficiency and more frequent DPF regeneration.

When our 2010 VW Golf 2.0 TDi was recallled, there was no noticeable change to performance or fuel economy. No idea what they did to it.

V6 Diesel software update recall

I had a run in fairly heavy traffic in a fairly heavy 3 litre 4x4 GLE yesterday down to Meriden. The results shown here makes it unlikely I will respond any day soon for the update requested in the attached thread.
IMG_0057.jpeg
IMG_0056.jpeg
I have done 750 miles on a tankful, but at only 3/4 full and showing 748 miles range make me think I should be able to do better!

I posted this on the Bristol thread in error :oops: its more appropriate here.
https://www.driving.co.uk/car-clini...es-including-tougher-diesel-emissions-limits/
At present you will notice no MOT statutory requirement [or ability perhaps] to routinely measure NOx levels during the test other than registering the ability of any Adblue [urea] system fitted to function = presence of fluid in reservoir and absence of engine warning lights for faulty NOx sensors?? [perhaps any MOT testers might comment?] Thus emission testing still essentially relies on the manufacturers declared NOx reduction figures. This might change in the future as focus appears to continue to move away from CO2 emisssions slightly to particulates and NOx. Its taken MOT testing a while to catch up with aftermarket DPF removal but I expect they will eventually catch up with any modification designed to circumvent NOx emisssion levels also. :eek: Its interesting that there must have been a trade-off of CO2 emissions V NOx emissions by the regulatory authorities because a reduction in engine thermal efficiency and consequent drop in MPG would imply an increased CO2 per miles travelled in the real world. Unless of course the manufacturers managed to convince them otherwise.;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom