Mercedes dpf regen general question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bje1993

Car
Mercedes e220 w212
I was wondering if your engine light is on due to a blocked dpf will the car still try to regen or does it wait for a mechanic to force the regen?

Will need force regenned. But it wont do the regen until all the error codes are deleted. Still might not do it 1st time so you keep running the regen prog and keep deleting error codes. 99% of the time it will force the regeneration.

Thank you hitech I'm hopefully out of my dpf nightmare now was a question I was always looking for on previous posts

I just forced a regen on an W212 E220 CDI. I used my icarsoft MB v2.0 diagnostic to:
  • Go to diagnostics
  • Smart Scan
  • Read the fault code under ECM
  • Clear the fault code under ECM
  • Go to service menu
  • Select DPF
  • Select E350 CDI (no E220 CDI unfortunately)
  • Select relearn DPF after replacement (or something like that)
  • Prompts you that this is the wrong car, do you want to force regen?
  • First question was are you doing this because of known oil loss? I wasnt so I selected No
  • Asks to do a test that takes a while and the ignition will need to be on
  • Car at that point did the regen - engine reached 1700 rpm at some point
  • Diagnostic then says you need to do the regen while driving the car
  • Proceeded without driving - communication error but the DPF regen was already done down from 400% to 15%
  • Car will be driven on the highway for a few hours now at 70mph. My cousin who is an indiein the US suggested "i floored it". I replied I am already taking the speed awarness course :p
Hope this helps

I just forced a regen on an W212 E220 CDI. I used my icarsoft MB v2.0 diagnostic to:
  • Go to diagnostics
  • Smart Scan
  • Read the fault code under ECM
  • Clear the fault code under ECM
  • Go to service menu
  • Select DPF
  • Select E350 CDI (no E220 CDI unfortunately)
  • Select relearn DPF after replacement (or something like that)
  • Prompts you that this is the wrong car, do you want to force regen?
  • First question was are you doing this because of known oil loss? I wasnt so I selected No
  • Asks to do a test that takes a while and the ignition will need to be on
  • Car at that point did the regen - engine reached 1700 rpm at some point
  • Diagnostic then says you need to do the regen while driving the car
  • Proceeded without driving - communication error but the DPF regen was already done down from 400% to 15%
  • Car will be driven on the highway for a few hours now at 70mph. My cousin who is an indiein the US suggested "i floored it". I replied I am already taking the speed awarness course [emoji14]
Hope this helps
Great I bought this icarsoft V2 today and waiting for it to arrive my dpf is blocked and car in limp mode however no lights on dash to alert the issue was this the same for you? How long did the regen take?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Great I bought this icarsoft V2 today and waiting for it to arrive my dpf is blocked and car in limp mode however no lights on dash to alert the issue was this the same for you? How long did the regen take?

Yup car was in limp mode, wouldn't go beyond 4k revs. You will need to drive it non-stop for 30 minutes at constant speed which shouldn't exceed 50mph if i remember correctly.

Yup car was in limp mode, wouldn't go beyond 4k revs. You will need to drive it non-stop for 30 minutes at constant speed which shouldn't exceed 50mph if i remember correctly.
I drove it 475 miles non stop from London to Belfast and it won't rev past 3k albeit it does get up to speed ie. 80 although slow and laboured

I drove it 475 miles non stop from London to Belfast and it won't rev past 3k albeit it does get up to speed ie. 80 although slow and laboured

Long enough drive for it to try to regen then :D
Presume you've heard of Creevy Autos?
Might be worth a trip there if you're still having bother

Doesn't work on my iCarSoft V2, and I updated to the latest version. I have a W212 OM642 engine 231bhp

When I go to Service / DPF it doesn't allow me to use any of the three options.

So, you might have to pay someone with STAR to do it!

Edit: it is available on a similar 265bhp E350 made just a few months later.

Last edited:
I guess that the regen option does not apply to the iCarsoft V 11? Forerunner of the V2.

Not sure if that was a reply to me (sorry!), but I have the MB V2.0 with the latest operating system/firmware. Not the older MBII.

Strange thing is I thought there should be a dpf warning light on dash bit nothing?

Yes, its really very strange, when you have so many other warning lights, why they did not add a regen light. In my book, that's one very important light to have. You will often see here on the forum queries about strange noise's and engine noise even after switching off the engine...and what seems to be excessive heat when standing at the front wing of the car. This is all due to the regen process, but people who don't know what is happening,are worried about it. A simple dash warning " REGEN NOW IN PROGRESS" would set every one's mind at ease.

95% of people don't know anything about DPFs and regen (I didn't before owning a diesel) and most of them also don't notice the car is even regenerating or needs to... until they get a clogged DPF from doing 2 mile trips to work for years on end.

I think it would cause more mayhem and confusion than simply not mentioning it. Meanwhile if you know the car and where the revs should sit, you can usually work out when it's regenerating.

Anyway, manufacturers don't care about the customers that will have 100k miles on their cars, which is when the DPF problems will start to happen!

Select teach new dpf, it will then say want to regen instead.
Keep in mind that some w212 need a CDi module update

Sent from my J8110 using Tapatalk

Ok so wanted to update you all the first pic is the reading prior to dpf regen and the rest are after this was done using my icarsoft mbv2 also is that milage down to a tenth of a km?

First one shows fill level at 316% and after 4% can anyone advise .26g of soot is good level and also ash content 16kg?
20a5b644c54e77636b40e66e29169f33.jpg
992d5c1a2a70fb2371f2b8ec323a044f.jpg
3334b34c99de9506ebccc5026394e44e.jpg

Anyway, manufacturers don't care about the customers that will have 100k miles on their cars, which is when the DPF problems will start to happen!

I don't believe that to be true at all, my daughters Corsa D suffered DPF problems at 51K

Fair enough, but I haven’t heard of many Mercedes and BMW’s etc having an issue so early on

Is the carout of limp? Give it a week, if it stays "good" then you are all clear. If not you will need to hook it up to star diagnosis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom