Mercedes e class 2014 Eco mode

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glyndawn

Car
mercedes c180
Hi i seem to have a issue with my eco mode it stays yellow im at full temp done 30 miles but still yellow

then other days it turns green preety qwick

There are a number of factors that must be correct before the eco light turns green. They include the battery charge level, the engine temp, the external temp, etc.
Cold weather and battery condition means that the eco light doesn't go green as quickly in winter.

Switch it off. Your timing chain will thank you for it.

The most likely cause by far is either a weak main battery or weak/faulty auxiliary battery.

Unfortunately there is no simple way to identify the above because either battery might be OK in general and pass most standard battery tests but will still not be good enough for the Stop/Start system.

Neither battery will register a fault code when checking with STAR (or other code reader). So the only way to deal with issue is to have the two batteries replaced, one at the time (i.e. trial and error).

The next item on the list (less likely) is the battery management system which sits on top of the battery's positive terminal and could become faulty. Then there are various sensors and other items that could be faulty, e.g. the brake vacuum sensor. But these will - in almost all cases - register a fault code with the ECU. So get the fault codes read with STAR first, and if no faults are showing, then proceed with replacing the batteries.

Alternatively, just ignore it and continue driving with the Stop/Start system not operative.

Does that mean my timing is out
Or on way out

No, what it means is that having the engine start many more times than it would have done without the Stop/Start function, can cause the timing chain to stretch over time, eventually causing a rattle from the timing chain and if left unattended also possible timing gear failure. But there's no definitive proof that Stop/Start is actually a significant factor in causing premature timing chain stretch. Some owners prefer to switch the Stop/Start system off, as a precaution.

I switch mine off, whether it makes a difference to your timing chain or not is a controversial topic for debate.

However it does annoy me a little so I always switch it off on every journey.

On the few times i have left it on by mistake it hasnt kicked in of late, perhaps mine isnt working either.

The most likely cause by far is either a weak main battery or weak/faulty auxiliary battery.

Unfortunately there is no simple way to identify the above because either battery might be OK in general and pass most standard battery tests but will still not be good enough for the Stop/Start system.

Neither battery will register a fault code when checking with STAR (or other code reader). So the only way to deal with issue is to have the two batteries replaced, one at the time (i.e. trial and error).

The next item on the list (less likely) is the battery management system which sits on top of the battery's positive terminal and could become faulty. Then there are various sensors and other items that could be faulty, e.g. the brake vacuum sensor. But these will - in almost all cases - register a fault code with the ECU. So get the fault codes read with STAR first, and if no faults are showing, then proceed with replacing the batteries.

Alternatively, just ignore it and continue driving with the Stop/Start system not operative.

My iCarsoft tells if it's battery causing yellow eco

It's an iCarsoft CR Pro. I posted details on a previous thread, page 2 i think with photos

ECO Stop

There's a section in diagnosis devoted to stop/start which tells you what parameter is and isn't being met.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom