Mercedes E Class Estate - W211 or W212?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MadMerx

SUPPORTER
Car
None of your business!
I realise this might well a tricky question as I have pondered this most of the week...

With the demise of the regular utility vehicle due to electronics failure, I was looking at replacing it and the short list was a W211 2007-onwards or a W212 2011-onwards. Quite like the look of either to be honest, E320 or E350 most likely.

Not sure about the artificial cows being stitched together for the interior on the later ones. I take it that the blacked out privacy glass comes as standard as most seem to have that look.

Anyone with owner knowledge of both willing to share their experiences and views on this, I would very much appreciate your opinion.

Looking at it pragmatically the end of the production run for the W211 would have had most of the glitches sorted out and the run out models are often very well equipped ,especially with the larger engines.

The 350 CDi is a little more powerful, a little better on fuel and lower on emissions than the 320 and the W212 will have a better quality music system and Sat nav although still way behind other manufacturers. I think that the W211 has the larger load space?

With careful choice either should hopefully serve you well.

I've had LOTS of W211s and two W212s, all estates. The 211 has a better-quality interior, but a more dated dash layout; the 212 is more modern, but just a touch plasticky-looking. The 211 somehow feels and looks more 'traditional Mercedes' than the 212, and generally rides a little better too, but the 212's ride isn't unduly stiff, and it handles better. Interior size is much of a muchness, though the 212 has a very slightly larger load area.

Regarding engines, I recall something Terry Gates said about the diesels about three years ago: "I like the four-cylinder ones; I get plenty of work with them. The V6s I don't".

I'm coming round to the opinion that MB hasn't really made a consistently decently reliable mass-market car since about 2010; they used to be over-engineered, but they're not now, or if they are, not at the E-class price point. They're built down to a price, not up to a standard, these days. Other opinions are of course available...

I personally prefer the W211. I've just bought an old W211 (an E500) as a daily driver, with 120K miles on it, and I'm totally confident that it will have scores of thousands of miles left in it. Cost was not a very significant factor; I could easily afford a 212, but I chose a 211, which says it all.

I agree entirely with DMS1000; choose carefully, and either should serve you well.

Last edited:
I had a similar dilemma and went for a 212. From what I had read the 211 was built when Mercedes really started to build to a price and the quality suffered, then for the 212 they tried to re-establish their reputation, so the 212 was considered the better built car. I’ve only had the 212 so not sure how true that is and obviously can’t compare, but reading the above from a few sources steered me to the 212.

Very pleased with it, the ride is more firm than I’d like but mine’s an Avantgarde so I think it has the firmer suspension. But it’s not harsh. The interior has worn well, it’s like new. Mine’s leather, I’ve seen a few with Artico that have rips so that put me off. I thought it was also a little noisy but changed the engine and transmission mounts and it’s like a different car. Would happily buy another.

From what I had read the 211 was built when Mercedes really started to build to a price and the quality suffered, then for the 212 they tried to re-establish their reputation, so the 212 was considered the better built car. I’ve only had the 212 so not sure how true that is and obviously can’t compare, but reading the above from a few sources steered me to the 212.

Where did you read that? :)

I had a similar dilemma and went for a 212. From what I had read the 211 was built when Mercedes really started to build to a price and the quality suffered, then for the 212 they tried to re-establish their reputation, so the 212 was considered the better built car.

First time I've heard that, and I've actually had both, so I can compare. Try a drive in a W211 and I think you will understand why most people would disagree.

Nobody is suggesting the W212 is a bad car, though, just that it is inferior to its predecessor in some ways.

Last edited:
Having owned both But saloon models. And current S211 estate.

W211: interior is real quality feels really solid and I do like the older dash layout and button positions. Comfort is amazing still for an 15 year going on car. I also have Advantgarde suspension on the estate. I had the E55K the suspension on that was magic carpet a truly amazing ride quality. The only negative for me is the handling front the W212 puts the W211 in to touch .

W212: cabin is way ahead of its time I prefer the 212 definitely more modern interior. Better headlights on the 212 in my opinion. An overall better looking car. Ride quality I find perfect in Comfort setting this is on a E63 I might add. So it's air bags at the rear springs upfront. I also think there are more options and gadgets to be had on the 212. More to go wrong some would say but that's debatable. Handling the 212 is miles ahead of the 211. But that's the price one pays to have that more sportier ride.

Best bet is to really take a test drive in each. And decide for yourself as I personally wouldn't be dissapointed with either.

Both great cars they really are. Good luck with your search :thumb:

Shame a saloon wan't in the runnings! A cared for 211 is in the classifieds, owned and cherished by a forum member.

From memory, people have been whining about quality not being as good as in the previous Mercedes for about fifty years, although it may be longer than that.

Especially around the C / E /SL /CL & S class. As you might guess from my choice of words, I'm not convinced.

As Swiss Tony once pointed out, like the second or third wife, the newest one is different, younger and can probably do a few things that the older one wouldn't.

A few, well-documented issues with the earlier choice will be resolved, only to be replaced with fresh irritations which gradually emerge.

I'm back in W211, because I've found one in "unique" low mileage with full spec. and immaculate condition. If I hadn't found it, I would be in a W212, or W221

I relish the styling of the W211, but then I'm well-used to it, having been driven too many miles in these things over 17 years. A younger buyer will baulk at the lack of visible tech. But, functionally, both are excellent.

Going back to the exam question, the real question is which model YOU can source for your "budget." Good S211's & S212's are hard to find. Unless you've got five figures to hand, the S211 is certainly your best choice.

Mercedes_E_200_K_Elegance_(W211)_Facelift_front_%26_Mercedes_E_220_CDI_BlueEFFICIENCY_Elegance_(W212)_front_20090529_front.JPG

Where did you read that? :)

Well I researched for quite a while but it was the Honest John review that swayed me towards the 212. He's my first port of call normally when looking at reviews. I've met him a few times - he's a friend of my old boss.

With the 212 I do love it, especially as a motorway muncher. I did a 12 hour door to door to S France last year and it was (almost) effortless. But the handling on any twisties is not great especially compared to my old Mondeo Mk4. However it does encourage you to waft along rather than hustle, which isn't a problem and suits the car well (given mine's an estate). If I was going for a saloon I think i'd find the handling a little frustrating, but i'm sure that's the same whether 211 or 212.

Neither model will disappoint provided you search for a good one. Having had both, I prefer the 212 for its handling and far more up to date cabin. Compare them both and the 211 dash looks dated IMO. Service history ,condition and a thorough inspection should find you a good one.

Remember that handling also varies on the suspension and wheel set up.

A Sport or Avantgarde on 18's is quite a bit different to an Elegance on 17's.

I've got tobe honest i've never had experience where i've thought a 211 Mercedes doesn't handle well?

It's obviously just me as i've read lots of post from people all saying that they don't handle.

Perhaps i just don't drive them hard enough but im still left a little confused, Do people drive them like there on a race track i wonder lol

I've got tobe honest i've never had experience where i've thought a 211 Mercedes doesn't handle well?

It's obviously just me as i've read lots of post from people all saying that they don't handle.

Perhaps i just don't drive them hard enough but im still left a little confused, Do people drive them like there on a race track i wonder lol
The 211 is a comfortable old-school E-class whereas the 212 feels more dynamic. Certainly comparing the 211 E55 to the 212 E63. As Mike notes though you’ve got to compare apples with apples, they do different suspension/wheel packages on both variants of E-class.

Certainly AMG wise the steering feels better on the newer model and less body roll, less sidewall on the tyres of course too (19” vs. 18”)

On the downside they’re not as comfortable around the typical potholed/speed bump covered UK roads. Don’t forget the 211 E55 rides on air all round whereas the 212 has springs/dampers up front.

You need to drive one to see for yourself really, both good in their own ways but the 212 chassis handles the power better than a 211 when pushing on :cool:

Over in Beemer Land, it's interesting how many people buy M Sports because they "handle well," only to chop them out because, in the real world, people seldom drive in "handling well" conditions. (The same is true of 45+ types dipping their toes into 911's and Ferraris)

Maybe we "just" need a handful of cars, to handle a variety of situations....

My E320 CDi Sport handles very well for a car that weighs around 2 tonnes with fuel and driver.The steering is a little lower geared than I would like but that also helps with the very good stability at speed.

Sports cars are generally shorter, lower and lighter. The E class of either variant is a very good car that is designed for long distance cruising in comfort and at high speeds and it achieves these aims well

Remember that handling also varies on the suspension and wheel set up.

A Sport or Avantgarde on 18's is quite a bit different to an Elegance on 17's.

Yes for sure - though I've got an Avantgarde on 17's so I guess in the middle! I purposefully avoided 18's as I wanted a bit more compliance. Don't get me wrong, I think the handling is good for the type of car (and what I use it for) but if you want to drive it in a more spirited way (like I could the Mondeo) it starts to show it's weakness. The steering I find is just not that direct compared to the Mondeo and there's a lot more body roll - it doesn't like changing direction so much. But strangely it can make it a bit more engaging/fun to drive as you have to work it!

Yes for sure - though I've got an Avantgarde on 17's so I guess in the middle! I purposefully avoided 18's as I wanted a bit more compliance. Don't get me wrong, I think the handling is good for the type of car (and what I use it for) but if you want to drive it in a more spirited way (like I could the Mondeo) it starts to show it's weakness. The steering I find is just not that direct compared to the Mondeo and there's a lot more body roll - it doesn't like changing direction so much. But strangely it can make it a bit more engaging/fun to drive as you have to work it!

Agreed, i have driven an Avantegard model saloon and compared to my E Class sport with 18 inch wheels sits around 40mm lower than the Avantgarde is noticeably better in cornering with far less body roll. On good road surfaces it is also very comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom