Mercedes e class instrument cluster lcd pixel repairs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks, with the tools could it be done with a coat hanger. i don't want to pay £15 for some thing will only be used once.

I guess so. If you pm me your name and address you can borrow mine as long as you send them back to me after:)

I've always been able to pop the clusters out from above.

Just move the steering wheel away as far as you can and pull the cluster out with your fingers - work it from side to side as you go, they're only held in with friction :)

Will

I've always been able to pop the clusters out from above.

Just move the steering wheel away as far as you can and pull the cluster out with your fingers - work it from side to side as you go, they're only held in with friction :)

Will

Some of them are really tight, the one in my SL would hardly budge with the tools and the one in my 124 was difficult too.

Some of them are really tight, the one in my SL would hardly budge with the tools and the one in my 124 was difficult too.

Agreed.

The one in my S210 was very tight meaning that the coat hangers bent when pulling on them.

I was determined to get cluster out though and being careful not to damage any of the trim I gently eased in two of my house back door keys that were both on a bunch.

As already mentioned the trick is to wiggle and jiggle from side-to-side until the unit works free.

Edit. BTW make sure the ignition is off at least before removing and replacing the cluster and if you can be bothered disconnect the battery. I had a fair few bulbs blow after reading on an internet forum that none of the above was necessary.

Last edited:
Never had a problem with the 202/208/210 ones I've done to be honest.

On the W124/201s I have usually pushed them out from behind because I needed to disconnect the speedo cable anyway ;)

Haven't tried an SL one though :)

IMHO it's a good method to pull them out carefully from the front by hand - less risk of damage to the cluster and the dash surrounding it (have seen scratched dashes and clusters where the tools have slipped). If it's a bit tight, carefully work your way around 'massaging' the soft dash until it's free to come out. Move it forward a tiny bit each side first of all, working it until it's free.

Will

If you are pulling with hooks, to avoid the hooks slipping you MUST keep the handle of the hook horizontal, that way the hook won’t slip out of the notch.
Agree, the can be very difficult to pull out and indeed, push out from the rear, the are held quite tightly by 4 rubber grips, as shown in picture below.

See also… Removal and Replacement of Expansion Valve

Dec

ClusterPull.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom