mercedes E class? which engine?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johny342

Car
Mercedes E Class w211 3.2 V6 / Skoda Octavia Tdi 2007
hello i have decided to go for a E CLASS but which engine should i go for 220 cdi or the larger ones will be mainly doing motorway miles. thanks.

E250cdi

The 220 in the c class is perfect, the E, with increased weight benefits from the 250 motor.

There is no justification in owning the 350cdi unless you simply want it.

There is no justification in owning the 350cdi unless you simply want it.[/QUOTE said:
...................... or you want even half a chance of not being spanked from the lights by a 535d! :eek:

Hardly any 535d's around. I'd take my chances in the 250cdi to be honest.

E250cdi

There is no justification in owning the 350cdi unless you simply want to enjoy a much smoother, much quieter, much more refined, much more powerful, but not much less economical powerhouse of a car which won't leave you wishing you'd...........

Fixed that for you :thumb:.

Last edited:
How long do you keep your car?

There is not much in it between the E250 and E350 new when you spec them up with the essentials, price wise I mean.
£6000 between a 525d and 530d.
£8000 between a 2.0tdi A6 and the 3.0tdi.

£1800 between a 250 and 350, absolute no brainer isn't it??

sorry i should of put i will be mainly using it for private hire/ airport runs so longer journeys and have about 7k to spend so would mean the older models. thanks for your advice

My vote also would go for an S320 cdi. Aside from anything else, the S has so much more presence than an E and would be nicer to use everyday. Would look better for your business too.... :)

thanks for the great advice! so e class 270cdi or s class 320cdi

The E320cdi is also a peach, just that you can get some S320s for the same money.

If you're wanting it for private hire and airport runs... S320 CDI is the business over the E class :) ... i know what i'd have

I had the same dilemma a while ago. So I bought a C55 AMG instead.

will keep a look out for a nice s320 cdi!!

a really good facelift 2003 s320 cdi with under 60k will cost you £7k. I've just bought one. make sure it has the wood and leather steering wheel and gear knob. Check out the mileage using "star". they say that it cant be fiddled, they say, tounge in cheek. Look at the drivers seat there should be hardly any wear at that sort of mileage. make sure air con works could be 2k if it doesnt. check for tinkling noise from under car another 2k up your shirt if cat is knackered. make sure everything electric works. fsh is important - if it dont have one walk away

And most importantly check if the Valeo radiator has been replaced and if not get the gearbox tested as it can write the car off.
It leaks into the gearbox and the replacement costs are more than the cars value.

Also, wooden steering wheel????!!
One option I would avoid like the plague, not nice to drive with at all, but we're all different.

If used for (airport) private hire, compare running costs between the S and the E-class - tyres, servicing, insurance, fuel and see whether (and how much of) your target market is willing to pay a premium to be in an S-class over an E-class to justify the extra running costs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom