Mercedes E220 W124 Coupe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Valkeire

Car
1994 E220 coupe, 2000 E240 avg Estate
Hi Folks,
I am a new member from Dublin, but currently living in Sweden. I have a small problem, I'm back in Dublin this week to get the MOT done on my 1994 w124 E220 coupe next Thursday. I also have a 2000 E240 Avgd Estate and a 1987 500 SL R107. All RHD of course.
On the E220 coupe, I'm having a problem with the intermittent wiper timer. In this position, it continually stops on the screen for a minute or so and then gives another sweep. It stops at varying points on the screen, and does not self park. It works ok on slow and fast speeds.

Can someone tell me where the wiper timer relay is on this model?? Of course, it may be a wiper motor problem, but I thought I'd check the relay first.

Regards,
Valkeire

does it stop correctly from fast speed when switched off? might be a problem with position sensor - inside motor reductor.

Thanks Brigadier, Well, I went out and checked the parking function, no self parking. I also had a good read of the link to Grober given by Mattc. Now I know where the relay is located and it's other functions.

Stripped out the motor this morning, and took off the self parking contact plate. All looked good, just re-spread the grease and put a bit more tension on the three sliding contacts.

Refitted the wiper motor assembly, and removed the wiper relay. A small bit of corrosion/verdigris on one of the main pins, and a bit more inside on the printed circuit board.

Cleaned it all off, sprayed it with contact cleaner and silicone spray and refitted the relay.

Powered up the wiper, and happy days, everything working as it should. Of course, I've no idea what the fault was, but no parts required.

Great result, so many thanks for your swift and expert help.

Big bonus, when I saw the heater blower exposed, I remembered it had been driving me crazy for years with a constant chirping and squeals from the motor at low fan speed. A quick squirt and now happy silence.

Cheers,

Valkeire

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom