Mercedes e300 1999 boot won't open please help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shepstone

Hi, I'm new to this forum but hoping someone can help! Up until last night my boot on my e class worked fine. All of a sudden it completely stopped working. We can't access it electronically, or with the key insert, or with the boot release button on the centre console. There is simply no response, not even the red light on the boot release button is working. My brother is a mechanic, but is was just visiting and had to get home tonight. So he did what he could in the dark but nothing worked. We checked all the fuses, and replaced 2 that were blown (though we don't know what they controlled as I haven't found anything that has suddenly started working :/), but this didn't work. He did something with a gadget that switched between positive / negative that he touched wires under the boot release button with to try and blow the lock open, but nothing... I don't know what else to do. All my house keys, travel cards, etc are stuck in my boot :/. Any suggestions??

saloon, obviously?

no ski option in the arm rest hole?

remove first aid kit on parcel shelf and you might be able to get to keys etc?

vacuum thingy is in the boot, so might be interesting....

The key should work if it is the original; squirt some oil into the lock and then give it a good work out with the key. If it is the small key from the FOB then hold it with a pair of pliers. Some force might be required.

The only time that the Red light is ON on the boot open switch is when the boot lid is open, if the boot lid is shut then no Red light on the switch.

Your boot (or trunk as is referred to in video below) is opened by the vacuum pump, the vacuum pump blows air into the boot lock and the boot lid opens.

When you unlock the car, the doors and the fuel filler flap are opened in the same way as the boot.

-In the video, at about the one minute mark, the Yellow boot air line and the fuel filler flap air line are pointed out.
-Swap the fuel filler flap air line over to the boot lock air line and put the boot lock air line into the fuel filer position.
-When the car is now unlocked, the doors and the boot should unlock… the fuel flap might not unlock.
-If the boot doesn’t unlock then there is a serious leak in the air line/actuator in the boot lock.

Dec

[YOUTUBE]UskH0ZZ6GlI[/YOUTUBE]

attachment.php

Dec said:
The only time that the Red light is ON on the boot open switch is when the boot lid is open, if the boot lid is shut then no Red light on the switch. Your boot (or trunk as is referred to in video below) is opened by the vacuum pump, the vacuum pump blows air into the boot lock and the boot lid opens. When you unlock the car, the doors and the fuel filler flap are opened in the same way as the boot. -In the video, at about the one minute mark, the Yellow boot air line and the fuel filler flap air line are pointed out. -Swap the fuel filler flap air line over to the boot lock air line and put the boot lock air line into the fuel filer position. -When the car is now unlocked, the doors and the boot should unlock… the fuel flap might not unlock. -If the boot doesn’t unlock then there is a serious leak in the air line/actuator in the boot lock. Dec <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UskH0ZZ6GlI">YouTube Link</a>

So if I Swap the lines round, and it enables the boot to open, what is my next step to fix the problem for future use? Do I have to get it in the garage for some kind of unblockage work? :/

I wonder are you operating the key blade in the boot lock the correct way.
-put key blade into lock.
-without pushing inwards, turn the key blade to the left to about 10 o’clock position.
-push the key blade inwards while the key is in the 10 o’clock position.

If the above doesn’t work then the lock is seized… WD40 needed.

At this point, you don’t know if the boot lock is the cause of the fault or the vacuum pump is the cause of the fault.
Only by swapping over both air lines will you know which is at fault.

When you do the swap, if the boot opens then there is nothing wrong with the boot lock…apart perhaps to free the lock up if it is seized up.

Also, try unplugging both ELECTRICAL connections to the vacuum pump and leave them unplugged for ½ an hour then plug them back in again.

Dec

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom