Mercedes e320 w210 cdi lack of power - year 2000

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wiz8rd

Car
E320 w210
Hoping you guys can help me here....
when i start the car everything is fine. Full power, full boost... no issues. If the car idles for a minute or so in traffic, then pull off with big drop in power... boost non existant. It will stay like this until engine stopped and restarted. As soon as i switch off and restart then back to full power again. And the cycle continues.

Took the engine covers off and noticed there is a lever under the inlet manifold that moves freely when reved(from start) .... then leave to idle for a bit, rev car again and lever doesn't move at all...

I also have another e320, same model, same year, so i can swap some parts about to help diagnose...

2 sensors swapped already(air mass and map sensors), but problem still stays with car.

Can you guys please help me diagnose.

Thanks

Try this 10 pee fix...

Unplug the motor that drives the manifold flaps.
Move the connector to the right, near to the fuel filter, so you can get to it.
Bridge the connector with a 4700 Ohm resistor.
That fools the ECU into thinking the motor's OK = no more limp!

Great... thankyou for the quick reply... i'm good with spanners... but electronics ... not really experienced... how do you recommend fixing the resistor.... ?

I found this... is this suitable?
Metal Film 0.6W 4.7k Ohm Resistor | Maplin

Also would this affect MOT ommisions test.... or perm fix without any further worry long term?

Cheers

Probably a silly question thinking about it... assume the resistor will just push fit in then tape up?

No fumes test in diesels at mot , at least not here in N Ireland. .

Report back on progress... disconnected the manifold flap motor connector and bridged with a 4.7k ohm resistor... No reported errors (as before). Car full power at start, but still power falling off a cliff after idling for more than 30 secs. Restrarting the engine resolves back to full turbo boost exactly as before. So EGR disconnected and bridged but still original fault exists... Should i be looking towards the Turbo? Are there any sensors here that could cause this boost issue? When it is running fine (from a fresh start), car goes like a rocket... no smoke.... so i don't think i have a major issue with the turbo.... but there something throwing the perfomance off...

Hope you guys can guide me to the next steps..... thanks

Note: i hade 3 wires on the EGR motor connector... i read elsewhere that you leave the brown and bridge the other two... hoping that was correct advice.

Last edited:
One thing to add .. if i keep dabbing the throttle at idle or during driving then i dont get the power drop off. Only lost when left idling and then pull away.

Further update on progress..... left the bridge resistor in place. Had a long run to work at the start of the week. Pulled away and kept dabbing the throttle to prevent sane symptom as my posts before. Managed to keep the boost running until i reached the motoyway and then had a 100+ Miles further run on the motorway. Boost tested now and then during that jouney and car is pulling like a train. It's now wednesday evening with a further 20+ miles each day and all is great...
Thank you to A111r .... your advice is much appeciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom