Mercedes e55 210 autotrader

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I don't know the car, but they don't suffer loom problems generally. Rust is a common problem.

Maybe somewhat overpriced. I bought my '98 version - also pre-facelift - in March last year for just over £3000, with six months' tax and nine months' MoT, on 106k miles and with a reasonable but not full service history, but it drove very well. I haven't regretted it for one moment. I did some research on here, and the general consensus was that the engine and 'box should be good for at least twice the mileage, and that the W/S210 (the estate is an S210) was the last E-class not to have too much electronic gubbins for reliability. It's a really nice engine, if you like a relaxed, creamy power delivery and bags of low-end torque, and when you stand on the loud pedal it shifts pretty well for an old girl....

I bought mine from a small-time dealer posing as a private buyer, but I knew that and wasn't bothered at that price, and he knew I knew. This one is being sold by a private seller (allegedly), but it's worth getting his phone number(s) and googling it/them to see if anything comes up....

This one has the Designo leather interior and the seven-seat option, which mine doesn't; they will push the price up, but the ad doesn't mention electric memory front seat and steering column adjustment, which I would have thought it should have if it is the Avantgarde spec. If the glass is blue tinted, it is that spec.

If you're interested, go see it, have a good poke around to see if you can find any significant signs of rust (wheel arches, tailgate, cross member between the front wheels if you can get at it) or respraying, drive it, and if all is good, I'd offer him £3500. Have the cash with you; it's surprising how much the prospect of money RIGHT NOW can sometimes bring prices down.

HTH

E55BOF

It does, but with the caveat: "The data displayed above details the usual specification of the most recent model of this vehicle. It is not the exact data for the actual vehicle being offered for sale". The seller only mentioned heated seats, and height-adjustable driver's and passenger's seat, which is why I wondered.

Sellers response

Ok peeps,

I asked a few quick questions kept it brief as i didnt want to waste anyones time and was unsure if id get a response.

I Asked the following:

Hi, great looking car, any faults? service history? any rust? kind regards,

To Which the seller replied

Hi Gavin,

No faults, lots of history, will be serviced again before the sale, and most importantly NO RUST as all panels were re-treated by Mercedes a few years ago under their 10 year warranty.

Regards,
Vienna

I've made sure suitable funds are available to purchase this vehicle, the reasons im keen is it has the 7 seat option which is What i require.

Its been 7 Years since my last Mercedes and im very excited with the possibility of owning another.

Please honestly do you think this car is worth viewing and how much should i be looking at to offer?

Thanks again for replies :thumb:

It also has climate which was an option

At one point I was looking for that exact interior but could never find it in estate form

I've just noticed does the 7 seat part look correct?? others have the rear section of floor fold up with the seat base to sit on? this one looks as if its just bin fitted in.

This is another ive seen which is correct

View attachment 41337

Last edited:
Yeah, certainly not original, it's some sort of retrofit.

Humm think at that price its put me off a little :(

Does it have to be an E55? There's an e240 7-seater, 2001, on eBay at the moment with 22 hrs to go; if you don't have to have a high-powered version, it sounds as though it's worth a look.

Does it have to be an E55? There's an e240 7-seater, 2001, on eBay at the moment with 22 hrs to go; if you don't have to have a high-powered version, it sounds as though it's worth a look.

Hi buddy, yes im after a e55 really as ive been spoilt with the power of my t5 :(

I can understand that;).

How big are the people you want to accommodate in the rear-facing seats? If they're tinies, so only little legs, it won't matter, and the recess under the rear part of the load area floor is presumably still there to provide some legroom if needed for those seats, so I wouldn't let the fact that it's an aftermarket 7-seater put you off too much.

Ask when the last service was done. If it's not overdue a service, he can drop his price by the cost of the service he intends to have done (which could be a full B service at a main dealer, or a Kwikfit oil & filter change...) and not lose out, and you can get it done by your local indie in due course. I'd think he's hoping for £4k, and would settle for £3.5k fairly easily if he had to.He might go lower, though; how long has it been up for sale? Then again, a mug might come along tomorrow and pay the full asking price!

If the price is right.... How much are you actually looking to pay? Any used car requires a certain leap of faith. I'd put it to the seller that you want a seven-seater, that there are plenty on eBay, and that an aftermarket seven-seater is not worth as much as the real thing. You could also tell him you really want one with a sunroof, but they're hard to find; all to paint a picture that you want his car, but not desperately, because it's not exactly what you're looking for.

Then try offering him £3000 cash, and see what he says. After he says no (almost certainly), go up in stages, ending up by offering to meet him half-way, if you're prepared to pay the the resulting figure. If it's still too much, keep on haggling; until he actually refuses to negotiate further, you're still in with a chance.

Forgive me if I'm teaching Granny to suck eggs.... I've bought a lot of cars down the years, and that's the sort of tactics that have worked for me.

HTH

Last edited:
E55BOF, thankyou very much for your reply,i do require that little extra leg space and the under floor section gives, the additional storage area is useful its not used alot, but when it is the boot space does get used, the car has to have this if nothing else keep the wife happy lol ;)

Its certainly made me think, thanks again for the replies :)

Last edited:
8 miles to the gallon, jesus bid the hell out of him there is very few people who want a car that does that, he will be panicking more than you that you might walk away, you watch him run after you, don't seem to keen and if the 7 seats are added on not original watch out for the insurance and you can play on that also, good luck let us know how you get on, p.s. never buy a car in the rain no matter how careful you are looking it over.

I have rarely seen these go for anywhere near 3k recently on eBay. I am looking for a facelift myself, and the only one I liked in the last year, ended on £2600. The reserve wasn't met.

The last 2 that sold on here, (facelifts) went for under 4k.

I wouldn't pay more than 2.5k for a 99 E55.

Feel free to prove me wrong though. :)

I have rarely seen these go for anywhere near 3k recently on eBay. I am looking for a facelift myself, and the only one I liked in the last year, ended on £2600. The reserve wasn't met.

The last 2 that sold on here, (facelifts) went for under 4k.

I wouldn't pay more than 2.5k for a 99 E55.

Feel free to prove me wrong though. :)

I decided not to go and view the car, a couple of things put me off, The non factory fitted 7 seat, and a interior picture of the driver's foot well.

Surly if you where selling a car especially one at top money you would at least hoover it out. my Volvo is always clean and tidy and im not about to buy something else that is not.

£4,495 is to much i think, even if it does have the 7 seat which i require

I think cars talk to a buyer ... This one sounds like not for you. I didnt realise 7 seats were that unusual. The right one will come along.

I decided not to go and view the car, a couple of things put me off, The non factory fitted 7 seat, and a interior picture of the driver's foot well.

Surly if you where selling a car especially one at top money you would at least hoover it out. my Volvo is always clean and tidy and im not about to buy something else that is not.

£4,495 is to much i think, even if it does have the 7 seat which i require

You do have a point, its not right, the floor and the rear seat would put me off too, I am not normally bothered about mpg but 8.8 avg would put me off too :fail

You do have a point, its not right, the floor and the rear seat would put me off too, I am not normally bothered about mpg but 8.8 avg would put me off too :fail

They way i use a car i reckon i could get 20mpg from it, but fuel economy isnt a issue for me, im used to car's which like a drop of fuel.

I use a car purely for pleasure and holidays. i certainly wouldnt be doing anymore than 3,000 miles a year.

Im just after a nice example that i can make near mint as possible and look after. they seem to be rare but seeing as my current vehicle is so good im certainly in no rush.

This seems a great forum and full of very helpful peeps, i will keep my eyes and ears open

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom