Mercedes E55 SBC brake bleeding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smoothcoupe

Car
MERCEDES E55K-2001 AUDI S8-MERCEDES 300CE 24V SPORTLINE
is there any way of bleeding brakes on the SBC without star.. any after market kits that will do this like icarsoft MB v2.0 etc???

I was told not but that was by a dealer (MB Brooklands), but my wife had her pump replaced (R230) at our indie who I dont think has star...but I may be wrong.

One cannot bleed the fluid pressure reservoir without STAR.

I have a delphi diagnostic on my pc and that allows you to bleed the sbc system as it pressurises each circuit in turn with instructions of which wheel to do and when.

If you are just changing front discs and pads, there is no need to bleed the SBC braking system. I stood and watched alongside my indy as he changed both on my car a couple of years ago.
As long as you take precautions, don't open the bleed valves on the calipers to let in air, open the brake fluid reservoir and drain a little out before starting ,you should be fine and the system will not require bleeding at all.
Don't attempt it if you feel its beyond your capability.

This is how my indy did the job.
Put the car keys somewhere safe where the unlocking or locking of any door cannot take place. Do not open any door or the boot or touch the brake pedal to cause the SBC pump to activate whilst working on the car.

Take the top off the brake fluid reservoir and siphon out some fluid (make sure it never empties and allows in air)
Remove the wheel and using a pry, push the pads into the caliper (get someone to keep an eye on the reservoir) until the pistons are pushed right back. Doesn't matter about damaging the old pad, its being replaced.

The pads are now loose and can be removed now or when the caliper is unbolted.
Remove the caliper and clean it up paying attention to corrosion where the pads fit. Use a zip tie to hang the caliper up out of the way while attending to the disc.
Remove the old disc and fit the new one. Straightforward enough but clean the hub face thoroughly before fitting the new disc.
Using brake grease, grease the back of each pad before refitting in the caliper, ensuring each piston is fully pushed into the caliper for maximum clearance. I can't remember if any brake pad shims were fitted or not.
Ease the caliper back into position over the new disc and tighten the holding bolts to the correct torque. (use thread lock as well)
Check the fluid level before doing the other side.

When finished, top up the fluid level, start the engine to activate the SBC pump and the brakes should require no bleeding.

I know many will say "Thats not how to do it, thats dangerous , disconnect the battery, pull the SBC plug etc etc," I'm just relaying how my indy did it whilst I watched. At no time did it look beyond the capability of a home mechanic with some decent tools. Having an appropriate diagnostic as in the post above as back up is prudent at home I think.

I supplied Brembo pads and they were a tight fit and needed some paint on the edges of the new pads removing so they were a loose fit. Too tight and they won't release with the pedal and will burn the pad face. My indy drove the car a few miles afterwards and put a temperature monitor on the wheel afterwards to check it wasn't binding.

A couple of pics of mine being done.
dd0mwUN.jpg sf2rVdu.jpg Vvqxe5K.jpg

Last edited:
On a slightly different tack where do we get new pumps from these days?

I had my pump repaired and serviced by this guy. JohnnySBC . Very nice lad and you get invoice and 6 mnonths warranty aswell . Get in touch with him . You will be pleased with his services!
www.ecu-repair.co.uk

^ There are occasions when even auto electricians like Jonny can't fix the pump.

At one time reconditioned pumps could be obtained from a company in Germany.
Sadly that isn't the case anymore.

^ There are occasions when even auto electricians like Jonny can't fix the pump.

At one time reconditioned pumps could be obtained from a company in Germany.
Sadly that isn't the case anymore.

As far as i know when i was with my car to him, he explain how the process of refurbishment goes on and he told me before coming that if he is not able to repair my original one he will have another one in stock, this i think make to to go to him. He is testing the hydraulic pressure on the bench , the accumulator pressure, valves or valve voltages ( dont know what this mean ) ... he really knows what is doing.... i was impressed ...
From what i hear from him, the only time he had to replace the units was when customers put the main battery terminals the other way around and fryed the pump.... and in accident cases i think

best regards

What car do you have with SBC?

is there any way of bleeding brakes on the SBC without star.. any after market kits that will do this like icarsoft MB v2.0 etc???

This may not be the right way so I'm happy to be corrected by learned colleagues but...

I used a Sealey pressure bleeder to both replace the brake fluid and bleed the brakes on my w211. From what I remember I disconnected the plug to the SBC unit and then used a pressure of 2 bar as this is supposed to overpower the electronic valves.

After first startup there was was the "Reduced braking power" message but this cleared after a few applications of the brake and all was well after that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom