Mercedes e55k 2004 Died....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

merc85

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLK 500
Hi Peeps,

Stressful morning was due to take the Wife and my Son to Great Ormond Street Hospital at 6am in the Merc this morning, Put my lad in the back and started the car up.

She started spot on as usual but then cut out after aprox 1min ticking over on the drive.

Fuel pumps not buzzing by the lack of sound.

Checked the fuse which for some unknown reason was a 7.5a? book says 20amp F004 in the boot (sam unit) despite this the fuse doesn't look blown.

Changed the Fuel pump relay with a new one still no priming,,,

So at a guess i suppose it points to the fuel pumps which tbh are not that old. Would they both go at the same time?? surly at least one would buzz?

Any ideas i haven't got that scanner at hand at the moment , Took the Wife and Boy in the trusty HONDA in the end.

Sorry to hear Gav.

Good news is sounds something straight forward and electrical. Kind of need the scanner on it other than checking all the fuses.

I have a scanner that you can use, but I'm 113 miles away! If you're doing a trip towards London again, and promise to return the kit in the same condition, you're welcome to borrow it.

Obviously I don't know who you are, so make the offer in the interests of good will/community spirit.

Thankyou sir I wouldn’t want to risk damaging it or doing something wrong , I’m having abit of a mare of a day as I’m currently off work looking after my kids whilst my wife n son are away, I have a simple scanner at work so may be able to pull a code tonight. New fuse and fuel pump relay didn’t work😞 thanku for your very kind offer though.

Yep Sod’s law Pat, I’m dreading if it’s the pumps as the tank is completely Full of fuel as I was intending to use it today. Doh.

Thankyou sir I wouldn’t want to risk damaging it or doing something wrong , I’m having abit of a mare of a day as I’m currently off work looking after my kids whilst my wife n son are away, I have a simple scanner at work so may be able to pull a code tonight. New fuse and fuel pump relay didn’t work😞 thanku for your very kind offer though.
Okay mate, tbh it's pretty hard to damage it unless you throw it around 😉 really just return it when you're done...the scanner is a bit more complex than a handheld one, so I think you may find it useful.

If you get stuck and need a complex scanner just PM me 👍🏽

I know you use your local MB dealer, was it serviced by them?

If yes phone mobilo.

If the car has been regularly serviced by MB and you are confident it is something simple then look no further than Mobilo. They will put their magic box on the thing and if it sounds something big, there is no law that says you have to get the car repaired at your dealer

No i do all my General servicing it go's to MB for all the BIG stuff,

I can get it recovered to Mb Waterhouse if thats whats needed, Annoyingly it's stuck on my driveway and i don't like it sitting outside, Still at least it didn't break down in London that really would have been testing :doh:

I more worried about how im going to empty a full tank of fuel doh.

Sorry to hear of your problems Gav.

Would be unusual for both pumps to go at the same time - can you check for voltage to the pumps first - or feed 12v to the pumps direct to rule the other stuff out?

Could save you the hassle of removing them and potentially finding out they’re not to blame!

I more worried about how im going to empty a full tank of fuel doh.

You may be getting ahead of yourself thinking pumps. ;)

If you do need to empty the tank just use a little 12v fuel pump and a hose, we use them all the time for such things as we always seem to be taking tanks out of Imps.

Sorry to read of your car problem Gav. It's one thing after another mate:wallbash:
I'm afraid I can't offer any suggestion as its a new one on me.

Hope you find a solution PDQ.

Damn that's not good news, bloody cars! I'm sure they do it on purpose.

As you said, your pumps are quite new so I can't see them both failing. Are you certain the fuse you checked is the correct one? If you have a multimeter handy, check the fuses one by one. The fact that you service and look after the car the way you do, I could rule out fuel filter too. Sorry not much help mate.

Hi Peeps,

Stressful morning was due to take the Wife and my Son to Great Ormond Street Hospital at 6am in the Merc this morning, Put my lad in the back and started the car up.

She started spot on as usual but then cut out after aprox 1min ticking over on the drive.

Fuel pumps not buzzing by the lack of sound.

Checked the fuse which for some unknown reason was a 7.5a? book says 20amp F004 in the boot (sam unit) despite this the fuse doesn't look blown.

Changed the Fuel pump relay with a new one still no priming,,,

So at a guess i suppose it points to the fuel pumps which tbh are not that old. Would they both go at the same time?? surly at least one would buzz?

Any ideas i haven't got that scanner at hand at the moment , Took the Wife and Boy in the trusty HONDA in the end.
I hope all goes well with your lad, I’ll be thinking of you all 👌🏻

Annoying that it's not an externally mounted pump. Can you apply 12v to it without removing and see if they spin?

If so can you leave it powered and see if the car starts.

You can then rule out the pumps and see if it's the fact that they are not getting power

I've been reading other threads, and some say there are 2x Fuel pump relays on the AMG's

Can anyone with a e55k estate tell me where abouts they are? i belive one is the small black relay bottom of the NSR sam UNIT,

Also it may sound daft do the e55 estates have a subwoofer in the boot? if so where abouts? as this is where the other relay is apparently.

Thanks in advance.

If you’ve got the subwoofer fitted (it comes as part of the Harmon Kardon sound package) it will be on the OSR in the load area - there will be a metal speaker grille over it.

Best bet would be to find the electrical terminals for the fuel pumps and stick a voltmeter onto them - see if they’re getting any power.

Good luck 🤞

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom