Mercedes engine keeping Lewis Hamilton ahead of his rivals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Very interesting. Gorgeous exhaust manifolds!

The BBC article is somewhat misleading as to the layout of the turbocharger when it refers to the impeller part of the turbo being "at the front of the engine" As far as I know the entire turbocharger/electric motor-generator is located as an elegant combined unit at the rear of the engine.
[YOUTUBE HD]96cHD7H1ZEw[/YOUTUBE HD]
whereas the renault setup has the motor- generator separate in the V of the 6 cylinder engine
[YOUTUBE]4vIjJg0lXgc[/YOUTUBE]

These are of course representations rather than reality but perhaps it might have been better explained. What I can't quite get my head round is these motors are running at the same speed as the turbo--- 50,000 rpm +
I'm not so sure that its all down to the turbo lag thing so much as how easy it is to control all that instant torque---drivers seem to have difficulty controlling it rather than a lack of it. My guess its more to do with the electronic black box between the battery and the ERS motors giving the mercedes power unit a greater degree of driveability. :dk:

The Mercedes turbo impeller/compressor is indeed at the front of the engine, and the turbine is at the rear. The shaft between them runs through the V of the cylinder banks. Ingenious stuff.

Ingenious Stuff,welldone MB...

The Mercedes turbo impeller/compressor is indeed at the front of the engine, and the turbine is at the rear. The shaft between them runs through the V of the cylinder banks. Ingenious stuff.
I stand corrected:eek: naughty Mercedes have indeed changed the layout from their official press release. I assume the electric motor / generator is somewhere in the V of the engine? see below at around 5 minutes20

[YOUTUBE HD]anLDCVD6v1s#t=388[/YOUTUBE HD]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom