Mercedes Enthusiast Magazine Photoshoot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R2D2

MB Enthusiast
Car
C350
Well I am now able to explain the reason for my detailing over recent months. On Friday Mercedes Enthusiast are doing a photoshoot with my car in order to do an article for the magazine:)

Obviously I want the car at its best for the shoot so I have been working on it to build up the layers until it shouldn't take too much effort to get it ready (even though it is raining).

This morning, I hoovered the interior properly with my Cyclonic hand held hoover (cool!) and then did the interior with normal glass cleaner (not polish in order to avoid reflections). Next job was cleaning the trim with Autoglym Vinyl and plastic treatment. The inside will now only need a detailing brush and a quick top and tail on the day.

Next job was the engine bay. I mostly use the Vinyl cleaner here as well.

One problem area is this :

The top of the engine is stained.
IMG-20121121-00254.jpg

I decided to use autosol and a brush but with limited success.

IMG-20121121-00255.jpg

After Autosol, light sand paper, detailer (to wash it out), it looks like this:

IMG-20121121-00256.jpg

It is acceptable and at the range that it is likely to photographed from it will proberly do, but has anyone else got any better ways to clean that area.

Now the interior and engine bay are 8/10 and awaiting their final preps on the day, I will need to Autosol the exhausts, thoroughly clean and polish the wheels, then I need to wash the car, cotton bud the gaps and grooves then prepare the paintwork. ...Wish it would stop raining! (Also Friday's weather forecast is rain :( )

Could a Dremel do the trick - with the right attachment you should be able to get into the crevices?!

How about a small brass or fine wire brush? Wire wool perhaps? You could remove the plastic cover for better access.

V. unlikely their photos will reflect the work you've done or are planning on doing.

I agreed to do a photo shoot for an ME cover story a few years ago. Drove about 200 miles (one way) to some desolate, deserted beach in the middle of nowhere on the Norfolk coast in the middle of winter. It was actually snowing so hard at 4 a.m. when I set off that I nearly went back to bed.

On arrival, all the cars were filthy & Dan Trent 'washed' all 4 of them using a 25 litre can of water & a sponge (as God intended). We spent about 10 hours shivering in a urine stinky beach shelter while the photographer took forever to do his thing & then we drove home in a convoy, swapping cars after every few miles. The convoy was the only good bit. The photos turned out OK but weren't of sufficient size or detail to show the stuff you're worried about.

Could a Dremel do the trick - with the right attachment you should be able to get into the crevices?!

I dont have a dremmel but it is a thought, maybe I could improvise!

How about a small brass or fine wire brush? Wire wool perhaps? You could remove the plastic cover for better access.

Good idea!

Thankyou.

V. unlikely their photos will reflect the work you've done or are planning on doing.

I agreed to do a photo shoot for an ME cover story a few years ago. Drove about 200 miles (one way) to some desolate, deserted beach in the middle of nowhere on the Norfolk coast in the middle of winter. It was actually snowing so hard at 4 a.m. when I set off that I nearly went back to bed.

On arrival, all the cars were filthy & Dan Trent 'washed' all 4 of them using a 25 litre can of water & a sponge (as God intended). We spent about 10 hours shivering in a urine stinky beach shelter while the photographer took forever to do his thing & then we drove home in a convoy, swapping cars after every few miles. The convoy was the only good bit. The photos turned out OK but weren't of sufficient size or detail to show the stuff you're worried about.

I do hope I'm not in a urine filled shelter all day. I've already agreed "hands off, I do the cleaning" and I intend to have the full kit in the boot on Friday. I just hope it doesn't rain all day.

Ditto this.. been on some photoshoots with Car Magazine with one of my other garage queens, and so long as it is reasonably clean that's good enough. You can work wonders with photoshop etc. Besides, engine bay shots are not the most popular for editors, and even if it is photographed there's no guarantee it will end up being used in the final article.

Just be ready for hanging around for hours on end, interspersed with the odd few minutes of shuffling cars about to new positons and fielding editor's questions. Mind you, it is a great feeling to eventually see your pride and joy in a national magazine:bannana:

Dont forget to mention the comand retrofit to them ;)

LOL. I've already emailed them saying one of their advertisers did my superb Comand install :)

Ditto this.. been on some photoshoots with Car Magazine with one of my other garage queens, and so long as it is reasonably clean that's good enough. You can work wonders with photoshop etc. Besides, engine bay shots are not the most popular for editors, and even if it is photographed there's no guarantee it will end up being used in the final article.

Just be ready for hanging around for hours on end, interspersed with the odd few minutes of shuffling cars about to new positons and fielding editor's questions. Mind you, it is a great feeling to eventually see your pride and joy in a national magazine:bannana:

:bannana:

I have one of these thingamy-jigs:

Variable Speed Rotary Tool and 172-Piece Accessory Set : Rotary Tools & Accessories : Maplin Electronics

or the cordless version:

9.6V Cordless Rotary Tool and 14-Piece Accessory Set : Rotary Tools & Accessories : Maplin Electronics

For the amount of cleaning/polishing you do R2, it might be worth putting on Santa's wish list :thumb:

Good idea especially after my next post!

Car washed and front grill done with Autosol. Wheels now cleaned. Exhaust tips have been cleaned with something like Brillo at some point:( I'm trying to get the scratches out with T Cut scratch remover and Autosol.

IMG-20121121-00264_zps6f48bf6f.jpg

That just leaves polishing for tomorrow. Rain permitting.

Car washed and front grill done with Autosol. Wheels now cleaned. Exhaust tips have been cleaned with something like Brillo at some point:( I'm trying to get the scratches out with T Cut scratch remover and Autosol.

That just leaves polishing for tomorrow. Rain permitting.

Pointless waste of time unless you are transporting in an enclosed vehicle. It'll be dirty again by the time you drive to the location.

With all those coats of polish I bet it'll look great in the rain too! I love to see rain beading of a nicley waxed car. :thumb: I say, that almost sounded a bit pervey didn't it :eek:

She's ready! If the photos in the magazine don't look good then there's nothing more I could have done! :)

DSCF1617_zps0d568ae2.jpg

DSCF1623_zps71a2b2f2.jpg

DSCF16262_zps60a030da.jpg

Coat 24 was Black Box Carnauba and Coat 25 will be Black detailer tomorrow, then that it's for this year. I'm finished.

She's ready! If the photos in the magazine don't look good then there's nothing more I could have done! :)

Coat 24 was Black Box Carnauba and Coat 25 will be Black detailer tomorrow, then that it's for this year. I'm finished.

You are very ill. Seek professional help immediately.

Looks great R2D2, I hope all your hard work shines (pardon the pun!) through on the photographs for the magazine.

Certainly won't find a cleaner one than yours, top work and effort. Must be a great honour to get your car in nationwide print. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom