Mercedes Epsom Servicing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roheel

Hi all, sorry for the long post.

I had the car serviced at Epsom 6 weeks ago. I notified them of some stuff that I wanted looked at namely the Aircon making a noise and front shocks leaking that was flagged up on the last mot. Left the car and drove home. Got a call the next day stating that the service was done and the Aircon compressor need a to be replaced as well as the shocks. I said fine, the car is under mercedes warranty still so do what needs to be done. At that point the service advisor seemed to be taken back. He said ok I have to get authorisation and then will order the parts. I said fine and when will the car be ready? He said 2 days max.

2 days went and still no call. I called and chased only to be told that we are waiting approval from Merc in Germany for the work. I said why when the car is under Mercedes warranty. You just go to the warranty group. He said No, the policy is to contact Germany 1st and if they don't approve then we go to the warranty company. I was a bit confused by this. He then stated we need the loan car back but your car we do not advise to drive due to the shocks. I said well how do I get home then? He states it's down to me to sort. I was really not pleased with this and said I want a call from a manager. Guess what, no call. So I drove to Epsom. There I meet the service advisor I'm dealing with and still no manager wants to deal. Eventually I got so pissed off that I said fine give me my car back and when the parts are in let me know I will drop the car back and I need another loan car. Also that if the car shocks fail and cause any other damage Epsom Merc will be responsible. Car booked for 2 weeks time.

Went back after two weeks left the car and collected the loan car. Was told should be 2 days max for the work to be completed. I said fine call me.

2 days went and no call so chased them again. Service advisor said car is ready and we just need to wash it so come down. Fine drive down. Was created by the advisor again and he pointed the car out on the tracking machine stating we are just finishing the adjustments post shock install. I said but you told be it just needs to be washed. He said yeah sorry I got confused with what car was yours?!? Wtf??!

So I waited till it's ready. 3 hours later car is still not really. 7pm and it's just me as a customer in the dealership and all sales, service staff gone apart from me, the service advisor and the tech looking at my car. At no point am I approached to give me an update.

In the end I tap on the window of the office pointing to my watch, service advisor comes out stating they are having issues and car will be ready in 30min. I said no, ive had enouhh and i want to go home. He reluctantly agrees to give me the loan car back and I head home.

Get a call 2 days later again stating car is ready. I state are you sure? I get told yes. So off I go again to collect. Car collected and all seems good. The service advisor asked can you give us full marks on the online survey you get about us? Yeah right!!

So get home and park the car up. I don't drive till the weekend. Weekend came and I am hearing a rattle from the engine bay. Pull over and lift the bonnet. What do I see? My engine covers moving like mad. All the clips have been snapped and the gromets missing on most of the holders in the engine bay. Wtf?!?

So it's Saturday afternoon now and all service staff have gone home. Sent an email to the service advisor with pics and stating I want a call 1st thing Monday. Get the call and the advisor states I don't understand how that's happened etc. I tell you how, you guys ripped it off with force rather than releasing the clips as designed. He agreed to get the replacement ordered up and I will have to come to Epsom to collect. I refused this and stated you can send it out. Still reluctant to agree he said let me order the bits and go from there. I will call you Tuesday with an update. I said fine. Yep you guessed right, no contact Tuesday. So gave them till today and called again, he spoke to me and said we are awaiting some clips. I said what happened to the update? To this he replied I forgot! Then said I will call you Monday for sure. Again can you give us great feedback on the survey as we are sorting all this for You! Again WTF!!!

So 6 weeks on guys my issues car still not resolved. Any advice on who or what I can do?

I would avoid Epsom like the plague tbh after all this....

What age is your car?

Is this withing the 3 year manufacturers warranty or the extended used car warranty?

mmm. not good. this is not the first time I've heard such reports on Epsom. You must be close to Brooklands. Although it is the same franchise, Brooklands is their flagship dealer so I expect you will get better service there. I've had two services (on service agreement) done there and they have been 10/10 both times.

Car is over 3 years old. It's under the the used extended warranty. Tier 1 cover.

I'm based in Kent. But thought I'd give Epsom a chance from some calls I've had with them as the car was previously serviced there before I bought it. Never again. I want to take it further but need advice which way to go...

There's quite a difference in the way new and used cars warrantied are administered, even manufacturer warranties.
Still it sounds like a shambles.

I'm in the process of trying to get the headlights replaced on our SL which after two years (from buying new) and one fix are still full of condensation. The car is back in at the end of the month to see what they can get authorised.

Tbh the request should never have gone to Germany. I asked him several times why are you doing that and he could not answer?

Also one thing that was clear was that if I drove in with a sub £50k car they would bend over backwards, as my car is not worth anywhere near that they treat you like rubbish.

Also I've asked for the paperwork for the service and still I have nothing. I assume you should still get it even though it was under a service plan?

Also one thing that was clear was that if I drove in with a sub £50k car they would bend over backwards,

How was that clear? It's a regular complaint from owners of higher-end MB's that they don't get treated any differently.

That is truly awful sub standard service.

I would write a letter recorded delivery to the manager of the branch in the first instance listing your grievances.

You will need to have an idea of what is acceptable recompense.

Robin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some years ago I got what was probably worse service than the OP's from a main dealer.
After 3 futile visits, I decided to 'disappear' with their loan car. The only tel no they had for me
was my office no. I told everyone in the office that if the garage phoned, to say they had no
idea where I was. They phoned the office twice every day for 3 weeks. I eventually called at
the garage and asked the managing director to come for a test drive with me. On a deserted
wide road, at 70mph I stood on the brakes and the car did a 360 degree turn ! I swear the
MD dirtied his trousers. The car was left with them again and I 'disappeared' for another 2 weeks.
On the second test run with the MD, the car performed perfectly. To cut a long story short,
I came away with a full yrs warranty and compensation of £500. BTW the loan car was returned with
2000 miles on it !

Any ideas what would be acceptable as recompense? Being under a service plan I don't know what they can do? Unless I push for an extension on the warranty for a year? Reasonable you think?

Any ideas what would be acceptable as recompense? Being under a service plan I don't know what they can do? Unless I push for an extension on the warranty for a year? Reasonable you think?
An additional year of warranty will cost the dealership a fair amount, and I would be surprised if they agreed to that. Would an apology and their commitment to resolve any outstanding issues not be enough?

Why would you use an Epsom dealer when you live in Kent?

I think it gone past just an apology tbh. I have given then enough chances to sort things out and they keep failing. In regards to why I what to Epsom, as mentioned before on the phone after I bought the car trying to find out the history and what has been done etc. They were brill, so I thought let's get the service done from them, they know what they are doing. How wrong was I?!

I can understand how frustrating it is. I had a very bad experience with my local dealer. My car went in for a new steering lock (The problems that caused were a nightmare), and when I got it home, they had snapped of the lid to the centre console and tried to fix it with glue, they had pulled up the illuminated sills and torn off the foil, the steering wheel was at 11 oclock and there was a stain on the seat. The service manager was very apologetic and I went back and they did fix everything, however, they did not repair the sills very well and were reluctant to order new ones due to the cost to them. Instead they offered me the next service for free which I accepted as it was a B service. Although its easy to get angry and make demands, if they think its unreasonable, you get nowhere. In my experience, a new sill would have cost them £200 or so plus my fuel, so as much as I could have demanded more, I dont think it would have got me anywhere.

I haven't been impressed with Epsom, although it may be better now they've moved across the road too the new site.

However, I've only got good things to say about MB Brooklands

Well the case has now gone to MB head office but I am not holding my breath on a suitable outcome. They said the head principle will call me, that was Monday, no call. So I chased Friday and notes on the case stated the head principle called me and spoke to me, that he didnt! So someone at Epsom is telling fibs...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom