Mercedes EQC400

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dunnakey

Car
EQC400
Has anyone got issues with the new EQC400? I've had mine since mid December and was advised a recall for an issue with a bolt that was part of the diff. No problem initially to me but one thing leads to another. My car was in the garage for 4 days I was then informed that certain clips require replacing as part of the job , special order from MB Germany sir and this could take up to 5-7 days. Surely they were aware that these parts were required, or not!. Now after getting the parts and fitting them the car went on its road test and lo and behold a warning light appeared . Now an issue with a coolant pump that needs replacing. Another part required , and lets guess where from ? Another MB special order from Germany , another 5-7 days This takes it to 3 weeks off the road . Soon they will of had the car longer than me. I have read other posts with similar issues but I would really like to know if this is a real major issue or just me being unlucky.

I'm having huge issues with range on my EQC400. My local dealer told me they had a few back with range issues and some software updates should solve it. 7 days later the car was finally returned to me. Apparently several other issues arose and needed fixing. Despite every effort.. driving like miss daisy.. eco mode... no ac.. pre heat.. regenerative-- I can only get 150 to 170 max. Also charging has been an issue.. used 150kw Station with 86% battery (was about to drive 130miles so needed full charge) it took 30 mins to add 14%. This was after it refused to charge at a 50kw station. At 150kw Station it maxes out at 86kw but soon drops off taking 1hour 15min to do 10% to 97%.. when I collected the car from merc it showed 202mile on 90% battery. After less than 1mile it dropped to 186miles range and then continues to drop.
I saw a reviewer say they got 2.8m per kW on a 60 mile run. How ?? I have a long flat 20 mile A road near me I travel on every week. 50-60mph constant with 1 roundabout. Pre heated constant speed im seeing a max 2.3m pkw. That's me solo.. low heat.. no ac .pre heated eco mode and full regeneration.. what more can I do ?? £73k the car is a joke..

I'm hearing both sides I'm afraid, some are getting good mileage others not I wonder why that could be!
Anyway, I get mine on the 19th we'll see what happens.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-01-19 124355.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-01-19 124355.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 6
I'm hearing both sides I'm afraid, some are getting good mileage others not I wonder why that could be!
Anyway, I get mine on the 19th we'll see what happens.
Good luck .. I can get it upto 2.4mpkw local but as soon as you hit a motorway at a constant 60-70mph it's 2.2 to 2.3mpkw.. need 2.5mpkw for 200mile range.. im seeing posts from multiple forums most making note to range issues.

The EQC is a modified ICE model and large brick shaped SUV's with large section wheels and tyres are not going to win any aerodynamic prizes [apparently that's the body style the market wants and is the most profitable for the manufacturer] if the car has a poor drag coefficient even a 20mph difference in speed/headwind /air temp/ density is going to make a difference to the power used/ projected battery drain.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The EQC is a modified ICE model and large brick shaped SUV's with large section wheels and tyres are not going to win any aerodynamic prizes [apparently that's the body style the market wants and is the most profitable for the manufacturer] if the car has a poor drag coefficient even a 20mph difference in speed/headwind /air temp/ density is going to make a difference to the power used/ projected battery drain.
I agree with you grober it's not the best solution but with limited EV choices it's a bit difficult. I'd be happy with 200miles compared to there 250 quoted but it's no where near that.

I have read somewhere that EVs reduce the charge rate after the battery reaches 80%, so if going on a road trip the most effective way of maximising rolling time is by charging only up to 80% at a time.

I have read somewhere that EVs reduce the charge rate after the battery reaches 80%, so if going on a road trip the most effective way of maximising rolling time is by charging only up to 80% at a time.
Correct it was mentioned on the tesla 2,500 mile trip video I posted

Correct it was mentioned on the tesla 2,500 mile trip video I posted

Right... so that's where I saw it :)

Thanks.

Actually the EQC AMG Line has a drag coefficient of 0.27 the best Porche can do is 0.22 with the Taycan, so that's not really the problem.
I think you have to accept these things ar ein their infancy
Drag Co Efficient of a AMG EQC 0.27 drag co Efficient of your car 0.29 :cool:

Actually the EQC AMG Line has a drag coefficient of 0.27 the best Porche can do is 0.22 with the Taycan, so that's not really the problem.
I think you have to accept these things ar ein their infancy

Drag Co Efficient of a AMG EQC 0.27 drag co Efficient of your car 0.29 :cool:

The drag coefficient Cd is dimensionless.

It doesn't take into account the frontal area of the car - it's the CdA that does that.

The EQC might have a reasonable Cd but if it has a large frontal area then that will mitigate the advantages whennit comes to the CdA.

Manufacturers like Cd because it tells people how cleve the aerodynamics are - but conversely not how silly electric SUVs are.

And then there is expectation. The energy required to ovecome the drag related to the CdA in given conditions is proportional to the square of the *air* speed. So driving at 70 requires about twice as much power to overcome drag as driving at 50. Then chuck in the tendency of those buying SUVs to stick on wide low profile tyres and taht saps a bit more as well.

Same things affect a ICE SUV - which is why my SUV gets about 36mpg cruising on the motorway and saloon would get over 60mpg on the same journey. (If I drop to around 50 on a long journey and there's no wind then I can just about scrape 41 if I'm ultra ultra careful).

Arguably EVs should show the same sort of differences - which is why EV SUVs are just silly - but that's the rabbit hole where the market for EVs has chased itself down. Without educating the customers the manufacturers are implicitly setting false expectations and misleading them .... because that's what pays.

Well I guest on these threads as I have no wish to buy EV and I suppose reading the trials of some of the owners makes me feel comfortable with that decision,also I notice today that Porsche have developed a synthetic fuel for petrol cars that reduces CO2 down to practically nothing and cars will not have to be altered in any way,I look forward to hearing more about that.

Regardless, a saving of over 4k personal tax a year on my company car by going to an EV makes it very worth it, whether I'd do it if I didn't have other cars as backup is another matter :)

I notice today that Porsche have developed a synthetic fuel for petrol cars that reduces CO2 down to practically nothing and cars will not have to be altered in any way,I look forward to hearing more about that.
Apparently those who have been using SVO and WVO in old Mercedes Bosch pumped diesels have been reducing their cars CO2 down to practically nothing for decades.

Regardless, a saving of over 4k personal tax a year on my company car by going to an EV makes it very worth it, whether I'd do it if I didn't have other cars as backup is another matter :)

Interesting.

So (a) you are buying this MB because it is subsidised.​
and (b) even with the subsidy you feel you require a second vehicle because it is inadequate.​

Interesting.

So (a) you are buying this MB because it is subsidised.​
and (b) even with the subsidy you feel you require a second vehicle because it is inadequate.​
That pretty much sums up the EV purchase decision. They are cheap to run and zero RFL and BIK; make sense for journeys up to the range of the car. You may get lucky on longer journeys but you are equally likely to run into problems with either reduced range in cold weather, longer time to charge than expected (when cold or you need to wait for another EV to finish charging) or non working charge points. Unless you only cover a small local mileage then you really need a second ICE car.
All of which is maybe OK for a £15-20k car but I would be highly p***ed off if I had spent £70k.

Arguably EVs should show the same sort of differences - which is why EV SUVs are just silly - but that's the rabbit hole where the market for EVs has chased itself down. Without educating the customers the manufacturers are implicitly setting false expectations and misleading them .... because that's what pays.
I agree SUV EVs are a silly idea - but it will help MB to reduce its total emissions on cars sold.

That pretty much sums up the EV purchase decision. They are cheap to run and zero RFL and BIK; make sense for journeys up to the range of the car. You may get lucky on longer journeys but you are equally likely to run into problems with either reduced range in cold weather, longer time to charge than expected (when cold or you need to wait for another EV to finish charging) or non working charge points. Unless you only cover a small local mileage then you really need a second ICE car.
All of which is maybe OK for a £15-20k car but I would be highly p***ed off if I had spent £70k.
Anyone contemplating buying a new car would be wise to do a bit of research first as to whether the model they are interested in is going to fit their motoring requirements rather than solely rely on the manufacturers word/advertising. For potential EV model buyers, if range is a major concern, its hard to escape that TESLA or one of the KOREAN manufacturers appear to be the best bet for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom