Mercedes Extended Warranty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hawk20

MB Enthusiast
Car
ML250 BlueTEC Sport Jan 2013
Mercedes Extended Warranty.

It has long been possible to have a 1 year warranty on approved used cars and to extend that warranty for a fee. What many have not been clear about is whether you can extend the 3 year warranty on a new or nearly new car. Even some sales staff don't seem to know. Further information has recently come up on the MB website which some may find of interest. It says this: -

“Continued peace of mind
It’s always reassuring to know that your Mercedes-Benz is covered by warranty to cover you against any unexpected repair or replacement costs. That’s why, when your original warranty expires, you can now extend it for continued peace of mind.

To make sure your Mercedes-Benz Warranty protection meets your individual needs, we offer a range of cover level options for you to choose from”

http://www2.mercedes-benz.co.uk/content/unitedkingdom/mpc/mpc_unitedkingdom_website/en/home_mpc/passengercars/home/ownership/maintenance/warranty/extended.html

You can click a simple link to get an online quote.

You can click a simple link to get an online quote.

No you can't.

And anyway, you're spamming the forums by posting free adverts for Mercedes.

you can get an online quote IF u have an invitation letter, or if you call up you can renew.

No you can't.

And anyway, you're spamming the forums by posting free adverts for Mercedes.
What on a Mercedes forum? Giving information about Mercedes cars? How amazing!

To be serious, I am posting information that I happpened to notice on the newly vamped part of the website which answers the queries of several MB owners I know and which I felt might be of interest to some others. I for one have never been offered an extended warranty by MB and when I have asked about it I have not had an informative answer other than 'I think you can buy the second-hand warranty' First time I've seen MB post this info.

To be serious, I am posting information that I happpened to notice

That information has been there for years.

You can click a simple link to request a quote.

Have you tried it? I have. Needs a pin number from your invitation letter. If your dealer was any good you'd get one automatically - even my useless dealer sent me one although it did arrive late.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if it is possible to purchase extended warranty after the original 3 years warranty expired, or does it have to be a seamless transition from factory warranty to extended warranty?

Does anyone know if it is possible to purchase extended warranty after the original 3 years warranty expired, or does it have to be a seamless transition from factory warranty to extended warranty?

Yes, it is possible. Tier 1, Tier 2 and 'Driveline' are available athough there are mileage constraints. Dig around on the site referenced and you'll be able to find them.

This

http://www.mercedes-benzwarranty.co.uk/PDF/MERCEDES_Q2B_PolicyHandbook.pdf

links to the policy documentation.

Even Tier 1 isn't really an extended warranty as certain items are excluded; although it gets quite close.

I'm pretty sure you can get a quote by calling them.

If it has been available for some while it is odd MB haven't made more of it -especially when they withdrew Service Plus which was virtually a warranty and a service pack. And why do they say: -
"when your original warranty expires, you can now extend it for continued peace of mind." The word now implies that this wasn't so before?

And why have so many (inc me and inc my brother) not been offered this at the end of the standard 3 year warranty. Anyway, I'm glad it's there now. I like peace of mind and if the price is right it takes one of the risks out of keeping cars longer (provided the occasional itch to change can be tamed!)

Have you tried it? I have. Needs a pin number from your invitation letter. If your dealer was any good you'd get one automatically - even my useless dealer sent me one although it did arrive late.

It says you can get by phoning in as well: -
"Alternatively, call 0845 641 9765 for more information or to purchase your policy by telephone. Lines are open 9:00am to 5:30pm Monday to Friday and Saturday 9:00am to 1:00pm. "

I have to say I find the wording on the site referenced by Hawk20 misleading. It talks of extending the warranty which, to me anyway, suggests that exactly the same level of cover as provided by the original three year MB warranty can be extended.

If I understand correctly even the best level of cover offered, Tier 1, is inferior in some respects to the original cover.

I have to say I find the wording on the site referenced by Hawk20 misleading. It talks of extending the warranty which, to me anyway, suggests that exactly the same level of cover as provided by the original three year MB warranty can be extended.

If I understand correctly even the best level of cover offered, Tier 1, is inferior in some respects to the original cover.
Yes but I think it is pretty close and in fairness they do say early on that 3 levels of extended warranty are available. Wonder what Tier 1 costs for an E class?

I have recently extended the warranty on my 63.

I asked why people are charged different prices to extend their warranties.

I was told that the prices are fixed but vary depending on what model of Mercedes you drive.

For my 63, it was £829 for the tier 1 policy. For 1 year.

Doh! :doh:

:thumb:

Excellent useful post. . I am going for a quote on my CLK Black tomorrow .

Gulp. . not looking forward to that lol
:)

lol

I'd be interested to know the difference in price between yours and mine.

I spoke to one of my guys at MB and he said that you should go for the tier 1 warranty.

He said that the tier 2 & 3 are not worth considering.

Let us know how you get on! :crazy:

:)

Was offered this when my MB warranty expired in July.

Tier 1 premium £1399 with no excess.

Tier 1 premium £1199 with £100 excess.

Tier 1 premium £1060 with £250 excess.

The excess applies to any claim, so multiple claims will cause multiple excess payments.

I’ve had a few problems with my car and decided to go for the no excess option.

As previously mentioned it really isn’t an extension of the original warranty. Here is a list of the things not covered:

Claims for mechanical breakdown of covered parts
due to wear and tear will be declined if the mileage
exceeds 100,000 miles.

Bodywork, body seals (including boot, sunroof, roof,
doors etc.), fixings and fastenings: nuts/bolts/brackets/
studs/clips and springs (other than suspension
springs), glass, interior/exterior trim, paint, lamp units
and wheels.

Any failure attributable to the effects of overheating is
not regarded as a mechanical failure under the terms
of this insurance.
Normal service replacement items and other
components subject to routine maintenance or
periodic repair or replacement that are excluded are
as follows:

• Air cleaners
• Auxiliary belts
• Bonnet, boot and fuel flap release cables
• Brake friction material and discs/drums
• Brake pipes and brake hoses
• Clutch facings
• Core plugs
• Diesel glow plugs
• Distributor caps
• Drive shaft and steering rack gaiters
• Electrical connection blocks, terminals and fuses
• Engine, gearbox, axle and drive line mountings
• Fuel filters
• Handbrake cables
• Hoses, hose clips and connectors
• HT leads
• Light bulbs
• Oil filters and gaskets
• PAS high pressure hose/pipes
• Pollen/Odour filters
• Reprogramming/software updates, unless required
as part of a replacement part repair.
• Rotor arms
• Spark plugs
• Sunroof cables, convertible roof material and straps
• Tyres
• Wheels
• Wiper blades
• All hinges.

The annoying item from that list, for me anyway, is the exclusion of glow plugs as I need one to be replaced.

Well guys. .

Smile on my face this morning for a change (and it was not colic either .. cool!)

To extend my Warranty (Tier 1)

Tier 1 premium £919 with no excess.

Tier 1 premium £829 with £100 excess.

Tier 1 premium £748 with £250 excess.

Not bad for my monster :eek:). .quite chuffed in fact.

:):):):):):)

With all these exclusions though, not sure it seems worth it? How much might you expect to spend in the year in which you've forked out almost a grand for the extended warranty if you didn't have it? Or is the warranty for more than a year?

With all these exclusions though, not sure it seems worth it? How much might you expect to spend in the year in which you've forked out almost a grand for the extended warranty if you didn't have it? Or is the warranty for more than a year?

Agree a looks a long list, however, many of the items in it are 'consumables' in the sense that thet are expected to have a limited life. I guess my glow plug falls into that category, although I did have one replaced during the MB warranty period. Disappointed by some inclusions though.

Warranty is for one year.

For me it's peace of mind. My car has had a few issues in the last year or so which I think would have cost more than £1k to fix:

Rear suspension strut

Wheel ABS / ESP sensor

A comand component; don't know which one

Three injectors

One glow plug

A PDC sensor (cheap in itself but expensive to fit).

My GL is a complex car with many, possibly expensive, things to go wrong. I like the notion of 'known cost' motoring. I can estimate depreciation, servicing costs, insurance, road fund etc., this adds repairs to that list of known costs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom