Mercedes fitting windscreens.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Skateboard
I've read some less than positive stories in the past about Mercedes not being able to change windscreens properly.

Like all things, I'm assuming these examples are the exception but are MB geared up to change windscreens correctly or should this really be left to the mainstream professionals who do it all the time?

I know of someone with damage to their recent Merc purchase which MB are going to have to rectify and I cringed at the thought rightly or wrongly...

I may be wrong, i am of the impression MB do not fit windscreens but leave it to the mainstream fitters. I have on several occasions seen Autoglass vans and the like at dealerships.

I've had the screen on my C class replaced at least twice by my insurers who use AA Windscreens - excellent, but we're lucky enough in this area to have an excellent fitter. I've had a 968 screen replaced twice (on my coupe when I had it), once at Porsche Tonbridge - when someone put a rotary polisher on the car and covered the previously completely flat paintwork in swirls - and once by Autoglass on our driveway, where he cut through the paint and galvanising at the top nearside of the screen and hid the damage under the rubber seal. A couple of years later and the paint is bubbling, cost me about £300 to have the screen removed, paint sorted and screen replaced (by a reputable bodyshop).

IMHO it's luck of the draw with the fitter you get - and as above I'm pretty sure most/all main dealers would use a "professional" like Autoglas rather than doing it themselves. The advantage of having it done at your premises is that you can watch and comment as the job is done!

I had my windscreen replaced at a MB dealership. Primary reason for choosing them was that Autoglass refused to use an original MB screen despite my insurers confirming that they were happy to pay for it.
The big difference I noticed using the dealer is that they weren’t prepared to allow me to drive the car for a full 6 hours (it was around that length of time but may have been a bit more or less). They confirmed the TUV approval was only if the “glue” had set before use i.e. the drive off in half an hour doesn’t work for them. Now of course this could have been a load of nonsense but maybe not ...l

@John The windscreen on my C class was changed by the supplying dealer prior to when I picked it up, and they did a very good job (with new OEM glass), especially since I've got the Driving Assistance Pack and the cameras on the windscreen need to be calibrated with a road test once the screen is fitted, and some installers don't do that properly or don't do it at all!

Dealers will nearly always call their approved fitter, it won't be the tech's that service your car. So no real difference in getting the main dealer or a 3rd party to do it.

Any 3rd party should either re-calibrate the sensors or get it done at the dealers as part of the replacement.

I had mine changed via Autoglass last year after a chip turned into long crack. My insurers wouldn't change allow an OEM version and I had to have Autoglass version. The first one had a slight ripple in it which the fitter noticed then changed it for another one when it came into stock. All was good and the fitter knew his stuff.

I spoke to my local dealer who priced up an OEM screen but wouldn't fit it and referred me to Autoglass. I don't remember the exact price but could see why my insurers wouldn't dig deep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom