Mercedes Gang Arrested

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jeremytaylor

MB Enthusiast
Car
E280CDI Sport Est., CLK 200k Cab., VW T5 174, Citroen C8, and a 2CV!
Over 3 pages of todays London Evening Standard is a report that Police yesterday arrested 7 people in a Stratford scrap-yard, ending a reported£1,000,000/year racket. Up to 120 pre-1996 E-class Mercs (i.e. W124) cars would be stolen per month mostly in London and stripped for parts in just 3 hours, with the shell being crushed and the parts shipped to Africa.

The photos seem identical to a previous stolen-cars-to-Africa racket I recall seeing on TV a few years ago, and the 'trade' is bound to start again once the arrested abscond on bail, as they undoubtedly will.

So keep on keeping an eye on your W124s, everyone.

Just seen that on the news. The scum should get long prison sentences, but don't have much faith that they will :rolleyes:

Just seen this on BBC Lunchtime news.
Edit:- Flyer types faster than me......

Wonder if they have got a couple of white w124 front wings they want to have a deal on ? ;)

I wonder if Plodd could get a message to them for me ? :devil:

I saw it on the BBC news at lunchtime too.

Thought it was hilarious that as the reporter was saying that the cars were carefully dismantled, footage was showing a car on its side having the engine levered out with a length of scaffolding!

Just seen it on the one o clock news - they want their hands chopping off (like in Saudi) - they wouldn't do it again!! As you say - absolute scum!:mad:

jeremytaylor said:
The photos seem identical to a previous stolen-cars-to-Africa racket I recall seeing on TV a few years ago, and the 'trade' is bound to start again once the arrested abscond on bail, as they undoubtedly will.
Crazy.. I wonder if this lot are the same one's that were arrested a while back.

Arrest, bail, court, slap wrist, back out on the streets to carry on stealing again. Arrest, bail, court, back on the streets again. Arrest, bail, court, back on the streets again.

Tough on crime tough on the causes of crime :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :) :D What an absolute joke.

John

glojo said:
Tough on crime tough on the causes of crime :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :) :D What an absolute joke.

John

Just as funny as most of his promises:mad:

mercs600 said:
Just seen it on the one o clock news - they want their hands chopping off (like in Saudi) - they wouldn't do it again!! As you say - absolute scum!:mad:

What about people who speed? Cut their feet off?

How very enlightened of you.

I wonder how many forum members will be looking for the dates of the next police auctions? ;)

GazCaff said:
I wonder how many forum members will be looking for the dates of the next police auctions? ;)
Oooh, interesting..... post details if anyone knows.
I feel a group buy of W124 bits coming on...

janner said:
Oooh, interesting..... post details if anyone knows.
I feel a group buy of W124 bits coming on...
:D :D :D As soon as I saw the word 'auction', I thought of one person........ Now who could that have been? ;) ;)

Good luck finding the location,
John and

mercs600 said:
Hang them: that would make them think twice about doing it again!:)

This is possibily why after I gave my old 230te to my dad and he registered it, he had a letter from the police saying that there were alot of w124's being stolen for parts and to be on the look out and keep the vehicle secure at all times!:eek:

I wander if they have a boot handle in bornite! lol

'Sky Cops' on BBC1 tonight covered in detail this Police operation to arrest the gang stealing & dismantling Mercs in London. Much of the evidence was gathered without the gang knowing from police helicopters taking video over the yard from a height where they would not be noticed!
The final police raid to catch them was also directed from a police helicopter which spotted the gang leader escaping, unnoticed by the ground cops, in a Merc.
Worth catching when they repeat the series.

Amazingly I chose to watch Sky Cops yesterday (never watch general telly these days) and wondered if it may be featured on here :).

I watched that and thought it does make the Police look very amateurish.

They'd sat around for 8 hrs waiting for the boss to come back and then got stuck in traffic going to the raid. Then the boss nearly drove away!!

It also seems amazing that out of 3 choppers only one works (and that broke down for a time). They're spending £15M buying 3 new choppers - each arrest it assists with must cost an absolute fortune, and then the perp generally probably gets 50hrs community service.

And there's no way they'd allow British Police to ride on the skids and abseil down ropes to the ground, as they showed in Germany. Our Police officers aren't allowed to chase people in many circumstances now in case they hurt themselves.

Rory said:
Our Police officers aren't allowed to chase people in many circumstances now in case they hurt themselves.

Best laugh today. Thanks Rory

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom