Mercedes gl420 cdi stuck in park

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chrislane

Car
Mercedes GL 420 cdi
It's me again (Chris Lane)
It never rains it pours!
As you can see I've not long posted a thread about a parasitic drain, this morning, I took the car to an auto electrician to see if they could solve the problem.

However, I got a call from them, saying they could not get the car into gear, a red error message comes up saying drive to garage without hanging gear.
It has happened before, but usually clears when I turn off the ignition and restart.

Sods law, its done it in the middle of their garage, but this time it won't cancel and won't come out of park!

When you use the fob to open the car, it sounds like a small motor starts up from underneath the car, towards the middle of the car, and stops after about 20 seconds, the car starts but a warning sound is heard and the error message in red comes on.
Reading up, it seems it could be the ISM module (intelligent servo module could be at fault🤔

Can anyone suggest any other reason and how to remedy, and any part numbers

Thanks chaps, and chapesses 🙂

I'm guessing the garage doesn't have a code reader?

Sounds like the ISM has failed. An icarsoft will be able to read the code if it is. You might have a bit of trouble moving it if the ISM has gone into emergency mode. If it has it may be locked in park. You will need to get it to an indie as the ISM needs to be coded to the car when replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom