Mercedes GLC Clonking and juddering on near full steering lock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Don't take that because I didn't by my car for how steering/suspension works, for not understanding technical solutions, impact to value of car or anything else.

Don't worry about this just keep abreast of what's going on via this forum and act accordingly.:thumb:

dejongj: Hey man you're quiet tonight any movement with your situation?:thumb:

Last edited:
i have just had the call from Mercedes Headoffice offering me free all weather tyres and giving me the option to keep my current tyres as spares,for a fee hahaha, when asked how much he could not give me an answer.

i am undecided as to the fact this will make a difference, Will wait for a call from Newcastle to discuss further.

i have just had the call from Mercedes Headoffice offering me free all weather tyres and giving me the option to keep my current tyres as spares,for a fee hahaha, when asked how much he could not give me an answer.

i am undecided as to the fact this will make a difference, Will wait for a call from Newcastle to discuss further.

Yes the practicalities of changing/storing tyres has it's own problems. I guessed MB would charge for storage. Perhaps would be better to try and keep your tyres until worn out and then ask MB if you can have the same tyres again fitted FOC and forget about all weather's all together? But obviously that will not address the problem and what's more important you will not be able to judge for yourself if AW's make any difference which is crucial at this stage of the game. Keep us posted.:thumb:

Last edited:
http://tools.mercedes-benz.co.uk/current/owners-area/brochures/WinterTyres.pdf

Mercedes dealers offer a service to store your winter/summer tyres/ wheels in keeping with the seasons demand. For a fee obviously! ;) probably to be negotiated locally with whichever dealer you normally use- hence no quote from head office? This would stem from countries where Mercedes owners must change their tyres to winter spec for certain months of the year by law- so they provide the service if needed. Nothing to stop you taking them home and storing them at the back of the garage of course - easy to lash up a wooden rack if you have the space .:dk:

they are not offering to store my old tyres!!! They are saying i can buy them for £££ if i wish. Guess they have to cover the cost of all these new tyres somehow,

I am curious to know how much they want to fleece me for my scorpions that have covered 2k

even more curious to know what brand they are going to use as replacement

they are not offering to store my old tyres!!! They are saying i can buy them for £££ if i wish. Guess they have to cover the cost of all these new tyres somehow,

I am curious to know how much they want to fleece me for my scorpions that have covered 2k

Sorry but can you explain what you mean by them saying you can buy your tyres. Surely they are going to give and fit new AW tyres and if you cannot store your current tyres they will do so for a fee!! No?

I understand that this subject is frustrating for those affected, but what I don't understand is why there needs to be tensions between members.

Members with views which differ from those affected are helping the cause - it's generated 30 pages of noise (unwanted attention from MBUK's perspective) on this thread alone. Without those views this thread would have fizzled out sooner.

Actually having thought about this I think what MB are trying to do is offer AW tyres in place of the current summer tyres but that's it they have no intention of storing/letting you keep your summer tyre's in the same way as if your car was fitted with AW when taking delivery during the winter months MB would not automatically and FOC provide summer tyres come the summer. This is crazy man or am I getting paranoid?

I understand that this subject is frustrating for those affected, but what I don't understand is why there needs to be tensions between members.

Members with views which differ from those affected are helping the cause - it's generated 30 pages of noise (unwanted attention from MBUK's perspective) on this thread alone. Without those views this thread would have fizzled out sooner.

Well said Bobby D :)

Comments from sreknaw like
You wouldn't be alone if this thread is an example. ;)
who add nothing positive or constructive and Just post to wind others up, it's hard not to react.

Sorry

Tony

I had a call today from MB UK offering the tyre option to see if this fixes the problem, but also saying I could keep my original tyres at no cost. When I said they had done 9k miles and looked pretty worn they said the dealer could also get rid of them if required.

Tony

For the uninitiated,could someone explain what 'compass' is, as mentioned in the statement.

I was the 2nd poster on the original thread in the general section. I asked my dealer to look into it, they agreed it was there, and also that it was on another GLC that they tested for comparison. Was told it was just something that happened with Merc 4x4s.

This was back in Jan 16.

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/2236865-post36.html

I'm wondering given that I raised it with my dealer and they investigated, should I look about a set of tyres. Although my car is around 15 months old, I've only done around 8k.

Last edited:
For the uninitiated,could someone explain what 'compass' is, as mentioned in the statement.

I was the 2nd poster on the original thread in the general section. I asked my dealer to look into it, they agreed it was there, and also that it was on another GLC that they tested for comparison. Was told it was just something that happened with Merc 4x4s.

This was back in Jan 16.

I'm wondering given that I raised it with my dealer and they investigated, should I look about a set of tyres. Although my car is around 15 months old, I've only done around 8k.
I had the same inadequate response from both the local Mercedes retailer and MBUK in May 16 and ever since, until the recent escalation in coverage of the problem, I will be pursuing Mercedes for this.

I'm guessing that compass is their complaints handling system? Someone here should be able to confirm.

From the context in that communication which was destined for Mercedes agents and not customers I would surmise that these "compass complaints" are complaints that have already been escalated to MB UK customer complaint services level - thus they will be able to contact said customers directly. That's my guess anyway.:dk:

Last edited:
From the context in that communication which was destined for Mercedes agents and not customers I would surmise that these "compass complaints" are complaints that have already been escalated to MB UK customer complaint services level - thus they will be able to contact said customers directly.
If it is then I will have a further grievance with MBUK, who when I tried to escalate and make a complaint, I was basically stonewalled and told I could not as there was no problems with my car.

- That was the same manager who told me (I will never forget this) we are aware of problems with the cars we produce, but we never tell you the customer.

Might also explain why I am so angry and frustrated with Mercedes. [emoji51]

If it is then I will have a further grievance with MBUK, who when I tried to escalate and make a complaint, I was basically stonewalled and told I could not as there was no problems with my car.

- That was the same manager who told me (I will never forget this) we are aware of problems with the cars we produce, but we never tell you the customer.

Might also explain why I am so angry and frustrated with Mercedes. [emoji51]

Have you ordered the Jag or Porsche yet? ;)

I doubt many owners contributing to this will end up driving a GLC/C Class 4Matic older than the warranty.

I agree, if Mercedes don't sort this properly mine will be going before the 3 years is up and back to Audi I go.

This is purely a thought, in light if the tyre replacement not being a final repair which is actually the best option, allow the crabbing to continue releasing the forces generated during full lock manoeuvres potentially wearing tyres quicker or accept the all season tyre offer and the crabbing disappears but the forces are stored within the various steering mechanisms wearing these components quicker. Is it cheaper to replace tyres or a steering rack etc. My GLC will be going before 3 years if this isn't sorted correctly...

I agree, if Mercedes don't sort this properly mine will be going before the 3 years is up and back to Audi I go.

With all due respect, isn't this exactly what Mercedes wants ,you to go away and take your troublesome car with you ?
The car and I'm guessing is on PCP or lease, so the finance/lease company don't want it, Audi won't want it so it's sent to auction and ends up on a back street car lot for a while , the warranty runs out and Mercedes wins.:dk:
Mercedes don't care if you go elsewhere, for every customer they loose there's another to take their place:dk:
On the other hand if it was my car I couldn't live with it and would have to get rid of it!
But I wouldn't kid myself that Mercedes cared what I did !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom