Mercedes GLC Clonking and juddering on near full steering lock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
No PCP and with all due respect, it's bizarre to suggest Mercedes would prefer to replace customers they've scared off with new customers. The customers the've scared off then scare off other perspective MB customers and it travels around the internet like the crabbing issue. I'd assume they want all customers, the more the better, whilst they lose some customers and their troublesome GLC's there will still be many GLC owners that remain and continue to fight the cause to achieve a correct and final resolution. Your analogy suggests MB would be happy to lose customers and money whilst still having the headache of remaining GLC customers fighting the crabbing issue.

GLC's ending up at auctions and back street car lots...:crazy::doh:

Mercedes are happy when their customers are happy.........maybe so.

Mercedes do not give a d@mn about the customers that complain about whatever at all. Yes, anything at all.

Fobbing off the customer is what they do well. People love Mercedes and they know it.

I would advise anyone who has previously been rebuffed by MB to resubmit their complaint in writing [ email or post] aways! always ! in writing[/B]
referencing the following- which should speed up action on your complaint
Vehicle model type
sales/financial agreement reference
supplying dealer
registration number/date
vin number
service record if applicable
the nature of your complaint- description of symptoms and how long they have occured for. [Remember to confine this purely to the phenomenon at hand as described in the official MB communique]
Copies of the official MB communications concerning the problem posted on here
Give them a reasonable time to respond [5 working days?] after which you be copying this to MB UK Customer service complaints.

However one slight note of caution- implicit in the acceptance of Mercedes' tyre offer may be acceptance of their explanation of the phenomenon meaning action at a later date on related issues [other than issues that would be covered by the 3 year warranty ] might prove more difficult- that's one for the lawyers!

No PCP and with all due respect, it's bizarre to suggest Mercedes would prefer to replace customers they've scared off with new customers. The customers the've scared off then scare off other perspective MB customers and it travels around the internet like the crabbing issue. I'd assume they want all customers, the more the better, whilst they lose some customers and their troublesome GLC's there will still be many GLC owners that remain and continue to fight the cause to achieve a correct and final resolution. Your analogy suggests MB would be happy to lose customers and money whilst still having the headache of remaining GLC customers fighting the crabbing issue.

GLC's ending up at auctions and back street car lots...:crazy::doh:

I think there's a lot of scaremongering around residual values of GLC/C's etc.. In reality any number of used cars on any MB forecourt probably suffer from crabbing to a certain extent and this certainly hasn't affected the sticker price. In reality a very small number of owners are complaining about this which obviously doesn't make it any more tolerable but to MB and the rest of the motoring world it's a small issue and in the passage of time will become one of the 47,000 Google entries on general car crabbing. My C Class 4Matic doesn't suffer too badly from crabbing but that's because I don't engage full-lock regularly and therefore in my tiny head I believe that if it isn't cluncking/crabbing then it shouldn't be causing stress to certain mechanical components so all should be well. However, if my tyres start to show uneven/excessive wear then I will be taking appropriate action. All of this is subject to change as time goes by of course. To close what I have always maintained is that if owners had minor judder and nothing else then most probably wouldn't complain but its the flaming grinding/cluncking of metal that needs to be addressed.

Last edited:
This is purely a thought, in light if the tyre replacement not being a final repair which is actually the best option, allow the crabbing to continue releasing the forces generated during full lock manoeuvres potentially wearing tyres quicker or accept the all season tyre offer and the crabbing disappears but the forces are stored within the various steering mechanisms wearing these components quicker. Is it cheaper to replace tyres or a steering rack etc. My GLC will be going before 3 years if this isn't sorted correctly...

I reckon that's virtually impossible to establish as if there's no crabbing then all the mechanical components should be working correctly as is the case with any other car, should they not? On the subject of steering racks', should I decide to keep my car after it's 3rd birthday I will definitely be getting an extended warranty. I would do this regardless as HOPEFULLY any problems that may be brought on by the crabbing issue will be covered.:thumb:

Last edited:
I think there's a lot of scaremongering around residual values of GLC/C's etc.. In reality any number of used cars on any MB forecourt probably suffer from crabbing to a certain extent and this certainly hasn't affected the sticker price.

There is NOT another car in the MB range that drives as badly as the GLC does at low speed.

Reality check - If you go to buy either new or second-hand GLC today, the salesperson must tell you it has the crabbing / juddering characteristic - this is dictated from MB UK. The salesperson will then say, but don't worry this characteristic can be reduced by fitting all-season tyres, which MB UK will supply free of charge. Would the alarm bells not be sounding?

Not scaremongering, reality

There is NOT another car in the MB range that drives as badly as the GLC does at low speed.

Reality check - If you go to buy either new or second-hand GLC today, the salesperson must tell you it has the crabbing / juddering characteristic - this is dictated from MB UK. The salesperson will then say, but don't worry this characteristic can be reduced by fitting all-season tyres, which MB UK will supply free of charge. Would the alarm bells not be sounding?

I think you will find in 2-3 years time when this model starts to hit the forecourts in larger numbers the crabbing issue will not be as big an issue as it is today. Remember this thread was primarily directed at residual prices and I believe they will not be hit significantly 2-3 years down the road.

Last edited:
I think you will find in 2-3 years time when this model starts to hit the forecourts in larger numbers the crabbing issue will not be as big an issue as it is today. Remember this thread was primarily directed at residual prices and I believe they will not be hit significantly 2-3 years down the road.

I do agree, but just another thought - Imagine when these cars are out of warranty, for example someone buys a 3 year old GLC C43 AMG performance car with all the bells and whistles + 21" wheels, which is most likely. When they fit sporty low profile performance tyres their car is going to drive like a Bag of Frogs :(

They may just accept the characteristic because it's a second hand car - time will tell??

Last edited:
I do agree, but just another thought - Imagine when these cars are out of warranty, for example someone buys a 3 year old GLC C43 AMG performance car with all the bell and whistles + 21" wheels, which is most likely. When they fit sporty low profile performance tyres their car is going to drive like a Bag of Frogs :(

Will they then complain??

What's interesting about this scenario is that those buying their used cars during the summer will be smitten with it as the crabbing will be under control. However, their friendly MB dealer will advise them that come winter -unless they fit all weather tyres which incidentally MB may supply for cars upto 3 years old as part of the deal- then their pride and joy may suffer from the judder's. I reckon this will not put many people off and they will still continue with the purchase. As for cars being out of warranty I think in 3 years time there will be a different view of this problem but don't forget if you buy a used car from a main MB dealer you should be getting some kind of warranty anyway. It will be interesting to see how MB deal with that side of it.

Last edited:
Have just had a customer come in with a GLC which has the 21" AMG wheels. His car does exhibit the issue and he has been offered new tyres next week.

Have just had a customer come in with a GLC which has the 21" AMG wheels. His car does exhibit the issue and he has been offered new tyres next week.

What size as didn't think All Weather 21's were available yet?

The customer may have to drop to 20" wheels as the MB UK statement confirms they cannot get 21" All Season tyres.
• For GLC 43 AMG customers who have cars with 21” tyres, a 21” All Season tyre is not currently available. We will offer these customers the option of taking 20” wheels and All Season tyres, or waiting for 21” All Season tyre availability

MB are sourcing a special batch of tyres for all wheel sizes, so it's going to be a while before anyone gets to test whether they make a difference.

Tony

Of course it would, even for those that are not mechanically minded. I know for instance my good woman wouldn't put up with it. After all she would have more important things on here mind than concerning herself about whether a car is safe to drive. ;)

Then there will be the scenario where the car is four years old and for sale at some used car emporium and the crabbing issue rears it's head on a test drive. Not good for all concerned. And there won't be free new all seasons tyres on offer either at the drop of hat.

Plus there will used buyers who fit summer tyres when replacing the worn all seasons and the crabbing issue is exasperated, how's he or she going to feel about the car then. It certainly won't be positive.

Bottom line is, the crabbing issue can only have negative effect on the used car values. End of. Honest John by default has seen to that among other easily available online car reviews. Potential punters wouldn't search 'crapping', they'll search Merc GLC's.

Edit: That's presuming all season tyres mask the issue well enough at all ambient temperatures in the first place!

Last edited:
Of course it would, even for those that are not mechanically minded. I know for instance my good woman wouldn't put up with it. After all she would have more important things on here mind than concerning herself about whether a car is safe to drive. ;)

Then there will be the scenario where the car is four years old and for sale at some used car emporium and the crabbing issue rears it's head on a test drive. Not good for all concerned. And there won't be free new all seasons tyres on offer either at the drop of hat.

Plus there will used buyers who fit summer tyres when replacing the worn all seasons and the crabbing issue is exasperated, how's he or she going to feel about the car then. It certainly won't be positive.

Bottom line is, the crabbing issue can only have negative effect on the used car values. End of. Honest John by default has seen to that among other easily available online car reviews. Potential punters wouldn't search 'crapping', they'll search Merc GLC's.

Edit: That's presuming all season tyres mask the issue well enough at all ambient temperatures in the first place!

Try telling a Porsche dealer about their models that crab and see if you get a discount......

Try telling a Porsche dealer about their models that crab and see if you get a discount......

Thought you might point at the Porsche again :)

We test drove an almost new Macan 3.0 TDS on 20" wheels last week - not a hint of crabbing. If you put your foot down and accelerate in the wet, out of a junction / driveway, then yes there was a slight wheel skip / spin - Nothing like the problem being felt on the GLC.

You have been fooled into believing this is normal behaviour by the sports enthusiasts - this is a very different characteristic on the GLC

Tony

Look just say you disagree with me, dislike my post or whatever. Ride a coach and horses through it if you like. Honestly, I'd have no objections but please don't expect me to start comparing apples and oranges especially when I don't know and have little interest in the oranges.

Maybe, start a new thread on Porsches crabbing...:rolleyes: :D

Look just say you disagree with me, dislike my post or whatever. Ride a coach and horses through it if you like. Honestly, I'd have no objections but please don't expect me to start comparing apples and oranges especially when I don't know and have little interest in the oranges.

Maybe, start a new thread on Porsches crabbing...:rolleyes: :D

I would if I still owned a Porsche but I don't. But this discussion was what impact crabbing might have on a used GLC and my point is that is has had absolutely no impact on certain Porsche models and therefore may well be the same for the GLC. You and I can only hypothesis about it at this time.

Thought you might point at the Porsche again :)

We test drove an almost new Macan 3.0 TDS on 20" wheels last week - not a hint of crabbing. If you put your foot down and accelerate in the wet, out of a junction / driveway, then yes there was a slight wheel skip / spin - Nothing like the problem being felt on the GLC.

You have been fooled into believing this is normal behaviour by the sports enthusiasts - this is a very different characteristic on the GLC

Tony

Try telling that to new Panamera owners who have just paid over £80,000 for their new toy. But its all relative in the scheme of things though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom