Mercedes GLC Clonking and juddering on near full steering lock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thought you might point at the Porsche again :)

We test drove an almost new Macan 3.0 TDS on 20" wheels last week - not a hint of crabbing. If you put your foot down and accelerate in the wet, out of a junction / driveway, then yes there was a slight wheel skip / spin - Nothing like the problem being felt on the GLC.

You have been fooled into believing this is normal behaviour by the sports enthusiasts - this is a very different characteristic on the GLC

Tony

The thing with a Macan is that Porsche are having a number of customers 'backing' the cars because in order to pull out of a junction you have to stamp on the accelerator pedal. Its a huge issue. One customer of ours bought a brand new one at nearly £80,000 and returned it because it was frightening to use pulling away.

What I dont know though is if the turning circle of a Macan is as good as a GLC or not.

A few questions to change the subject slightly:

1) I've just noticed on my car that when parked with the steering straight, the driver's side front wheel appears to be pointing a little to the left when the passenger side wheel is pointing straight ahead. What is the quickest/dirtiest/cheapest method to confirm before engaging a proper alignment test? I have a photo but the iPhone didn't do a good job..

2) Getting fed up with all the little mysterious things my car does that Mercedes instantly dismisses, so time to capture these mysterious things on video. So what's the best value for money video recorder device that can be mounted somewhere behind the driver position whilst not damaging the car? A Go Pro?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GoPro is a good option. On the one I have you can set it to loop record which is great for an intermittent event as you can leave it running pretty much indefinitely and then just hit the stop button on the remote to store the last few minutes of footage.

GoPro is a good option. On the one I have you can set it to loop record which is great for an intermittent event as you can leave it running pretty much indefinitely and then just hit the stop button on the remote to store the last few minutes of footage.

Thanks for the info, which one do you have and how did you mount it/feed power to it/etc ?

Last edited:
The thing with a Macan is that Porsche are having a number of customers 'backing' the cars because in order to pull out of a junction you have to stamp on the accelerator pedal. Its a huge issue. One customer of ours bought a brand new one at nearly £80,000 and returned it because it was frightening to use pulling away.

What I dont know though is if the turning circle of a Macan is as good as a GLC or not.

Given a choice think I would prefer juddering at least that's less likely to force my car to mount a pavement full of people. Lets see how much negative publicity Porsche gets on this suspect it will be lots.
Assume as Porsche are still releasing cars with this problem that it's not a straightforward fix. Where have we heard that before....... Haven't bothered to Google it but suspect its getting plenty of coverage.

Last edited:
Sorry but can you explain what you mean by them saying you can buy your tyres. Surely they are going to give and fit new AW tyres and if you cannot store your current tyres they will do so for a fee!! No?

In a nut shell i can have new all weather tyres fitted, but if i want to keep my scorpion ones i will have to pay for them :fail

I have not discussed cost for my current ones or accepted the offer of A/W ones, i will wait for my dealer to call me and have that discussion with them, but believe me i will be pushing to keep them free of charge

In a nut shell i can have new all weather tyres fitted, but if i want to keep my scorpion ones i will have to pay for them :fail

I have not discussed cost for my current ones or accepted the offer of A/W ones, i will wait for my dealer to call me and have that discussion with them, but believe me i will be pushing to keep them free of charge

Pay for your used tyres? Are MB mad?

Thanks for the info, which one do you have and how did you mount it/feed power to it/etc ?
I have a Hero 4 Silver and a variety of mounts. Without wishing to state the obvious, the most appropriate mounting solution will depend upon what you want the camera to be pointed at. For a general view in the car, a suction mount on the inside of the pano roof and a couple of adaptor arms can be quite good. For power I just use the standard rechargeable batteries which give a couple of hours recording time and saves messing about with flying leads.

There's a whole industry that's grown up around GoPro mounts, so my advice would be to visit a dealer who has a good selection and see what works best for you. You can control the GoPro from a smartphone, which is great because you can see a live view of what the GoPro is "seeing" to set it up, and then start/stop it at will. Once I've set the camera up I use the GoPro Smart Remote to control the camera when I'm in the car rather than my smartphone as it avoids any potential for getting a tug for using the phone while driving.

As an aside, we use them for diagnostic work on machinery at work as the combination of them being self powered and tiny means you can set them up under the guard line. We run them at a high frame rate in loop mode, and then just hit the stop button on the remote when the condition that we're wanting to diagnose has occurred. We then get some good quality slow-mo footage to help us work out what happened.

Markymarkf said:
In a nut shell i can have new all weather tyres fitted, but if i want to keep my scorpion ones i will have to pay for them :fail I have not discussed cost for my current ones or accepted the offer of A/W ones, i will wait for my dealer to call me and have that discussion with them, but believe me i will be pushing to keep them free of charge
My dealer has advised me to keep my tyres on until next winter then I can swop them for the AW ones FOC

Try telling that to new Panamera owners who have just paid over £80,000 for their new toy. But its all relative in the scheme of things though.

O.k, o.k..You win and I was wrong to suggest that the crabbing issue/online videos/Honest John and his ilk/waiver/all season tyres etc, etc will have any detrimental affect on used car valves. :thumb:

Last edited:
Try telling that to new Panamera owners who have just paid over £80,000 for their new toy. But its all relative in the scheme of things though.

Knowing Porsche they probably charge crabbing as an optional extra.

Knowing Porsche they probably charge crabbing as an optional extra.

I bet they'd charge extra to deliver the car with inflated tires :D

Has this thread run it's course now that members are arguing about effing Porsches..:dk:

Last edited by a moderator:
A few questions to change the subject slightly:

1) I've just noticed on my car that when parked with the steering straight, the driver's side front wheel appears to be pointing a little to the left when the passenger side wheel is pointing straight ahead. What is the quickest/dirtiest/cheapest method to confirm before engaging a proper alignment test? I have a photo but the iPhone didn't do a good job..

2) Getting fed up with all the little mysterious things my car does that Mercedes instantly dismisses, so time to capture these mysterious things on video. So what's the best value for money video recorder device that can be mounted somewhere behind the driver position whilst not damaging the car? A Go Pro?

sounds like toe out, tyres wearing ok? any potholes?

sounds like toe out, tyres wearing ok? any potholes?
Just came out of garage after accident repair, only done 30 miles, apparently no fault with car so bit surprised by what I saw.

I want to be certain before going back to garage.

Mercedes are happy when their customers are happy.........maybe so.

Mercedes do not give a d@mn about the customers that complain about whatever at all. Yes, anything at all.

Fobbing off the customer is what they do well. People love Mercedes and they know it.
Yes they are very good at that, 10/10

Surely, if you own the car and all that is attached to it, they are your tyres to keep, sell, discard as you like.

Many MB dealers seem to have built up a poor reputation, my local Listers proved problematic regarding issues with my new GLC purchased 3 weeks ago, they completely changed their attitude when made aware I'd recorded a few phone calls with them using my mobile phone proving they'd been economical with the truth, now they couldn't be nicer and more helpful. I'll be keeping those recordings for future reference if required, I think they'll be letting me keep my tyres after the all season tyres are fitted....

I'll suggest that it is likely that all and various dealers have a bad reputation at times. Can't recall ever finding one that was actually........amazing!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom