Mercedes GLC Clonking and juddering on near full steering lock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The ongoing crabbing issue and now I hear on the news a number of Mercedes Models including the GLC are being recalled after 51 fires have occurred after starting. I wonder if I can use this to reject mine, I've had enough of all this.

Follow link below

Global recall of 1 million Mercedes cars over fire risk 'could include 75,000 in UK'

Which says

Owners of 75,000 Mercedes cars in the UK could be affected by a global recall of several models following reports of fires, according to reports.

An issue with some starter components in cars made between 2015 and 2017 is thought to cause them to overheat.

The fire risk has prompted Mercedes owner Daimler to recall around a million vehicles worldwide, covering certain A-Class, B-Class, C-Class, E-Class and CLA cars and GLA and GLC SUVs.

There have been reports of 51 fires, with about 30 in the US.

A Mercedes spokesman told Car Dealer magazine: "There are potentially 75,000 cars in the UK which will be affected by the recall. This is a recall which is yet to be issued."

The company said a fix has been implemented in the production of new vehicles and cars already with dealers will be fixed before they are sold.

The magazine said owners will be contacted in March.

Of the million vehicles to be recalled, 307,629 are in the United States, which is 40,000 units less than Mercedes-Benz reported to U.S. regulators.

The company did not immediately have a breakdown of where vehicles will be recalled outside of the United States.

The United States is among the three biggest markets for Mercedes-Benz, the others being China and Germany.

The ongoing crabbing issue and now I hear on the news a number of Mercedes Models including the GLC are being recalled after 51 fires have occurred after starting. I wonder if I can use this to reject mine, I've had enough of all this.

Follow link below

Global recall of 1 million Mercedes cars over fire risk 'could include 75,000 in UK'

Which says

Owners of 75,000 Mercedes cars in the UK could be affected by a global recall of several models following reports of fires, according to reports.

An issue with some starter components in cars made between 2015 and 2017 is thought to cause them to overheat.

The fire risk has prompted Mercedes owner Daimler to recall around a million vehicles worldwide, covering certain A-Class, B-Class, C-Class, E-Class and CLA cars and GLA and GLC SUVs.

There have been reports of 51 fires, with about 30 in the US.

A Mercedes spokesman told Car Dealer magazine: "There are potentially 75,000 cars in the UK which will be affected by the recall. This is a recall which is yet to be issued."

The company said a fix has been implemented in the production of new vehicles and cars already with dealers will be fixed before they are sold.

The magazine said owners will be contacted in March.

Of the million vehicles to be recalled, 307,629 are in the United States, which is 40,000 units less than Mercedes-Benz reported to U.S. regulators.

The company did not immediately have a breakdown of where vehicles will be recalled outside of the United States.

The United States is among the three biggest markets for Mercedes-Benz, the others being China and Germany.
I wonder if the fix is winter or all season tyres?

The Consumer Rights Act 2015

Product quality

As with the Sale of Goods Act, under the Consumer Rights Act all products must be of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose and as described. The rules also include digital content in this definition. So all products - whether physical or digital - must meet the following standards:

1. Satisfactory quality - Goods shouldn't be faulty or damaged when you receive them.

2. Fit for purpose - The goods should be fit for the purpose they are supplied for, as well as any specific purpose you made known to the retailer before you agreed to buy the goods.

3. As described - The goods supplied must match any description given to you, or any models or samples shown to you at the time of purchase.

With the crabbing issue and now the fire risk does the GLC meet the requirements above, is it satisfactory quality, fit for purpose and as described. I think not, If not it can be rejected within the first 30 days from new or Mercedes have a right for one repair attempt between 30 days and 6 months. The tyre change could be the one repair, if the crabbing remains the reject it under the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

I know this thread is for the crabbing/skipping issue but the fire SAFETY recall exacerbates the situation.

We're OK though because Mercedes says there's small risk to customers, that's made me feel better.....:eek:

redimp said:
The Consumer Rights Act 2015 Product quality As with the Sale of Goods Act, under the Consumer Rights Act all products must be of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose and as described. The rules also include digital content in this definition. So all products - whether physical or digital - must meet the following standards: 1. Satisfactory quality - Goods shouldn't be faulty or damaged when you receive them. 2. Fit for purpose - The goods should be fit for the purpose they are supplied for, as well as any specific purpose you made known to the retailer before you agreed to buy the goods. 3. As described - The goods supplied must match any description given to you, or any models or samples shown to you at the time of purchase. With the crabbing issue and now the fire risk does the GLC meet the requirements above, is it satisfactory quality, fit for purpose and as described. I think not, If not it can be rejected within the first 30 days from new or Mercedes have a right for one repair attempt between 30 days and 6 months. The tyre change could be the one repair, if the crabbing remains the reject it under the Consumer Rights Act 2015. I know this thread is for the crabbing/skipping issue but the fire SAFETY recall exacerbates the situation. We're OK though because Mercedes says there's small risk to customers, that's made me feel better.....:eek:

According to latest news, it doesn't seem to affect U.K.GLCs

I know this thread is for the crabbing/skipping issue but the fire SAFETY recall exacerbates the situation.
I think a reality check is in order here regarding the fire risk.

Your chances of rejecting the car under the Consumer Rights legislation based on that approximate to zero. Safety-related recalls for cars are not at all uncommon, which a court will know, and as the manufacturer is following accepted industry practice to rectify it, it's not a valid reason for rejection.

The crabbing/skipping issue may be arguable as a reason for rejection, but we already know that MB will fight it so if you go down that route you will end up having to fight it through the courts.

Barbecued crab... Nice!!

Maybe it's all part of the 'fix'....

You start your GLC up on a cold morning, and the small fire that builds up around the engine warms the front tyres, so no need for those elusive winters that no one can find.

Once up to full speed, the cold air extinguishers the fire, and you're on your way.....

I wonder if the fix is winter or all season tyres?

After reviewing the crabbing fault MB engineers have found the tyres work much better when warm. The permanent fix is to warm the car up a little, but looks like they've also got this wrong :)

MB are working on Fire Proof tyres that minimise and conteract the affect of a charred car :)

Tony

Last edited:
So today it is 11 degrees and I have brand new tyres and I'm virtually crab free. I still notice it but I can appreciate that some would think what the fuss is about.

Having received new tyres at just 4,500 miles is an interesting exercise as it allowed me to reset my experience. I assume I can still faintly notice it whilst other new owners can't is because of my size of wheel/tyres. I assume that it is so faint at the moment because my tyres are now brand new. I think that is probably why although I reported it on day two of ownership I didn't step up my complaint in full force with my dealer until month two.

I'm sure all season tyres will just mask it better than new tyres. And I wonder how soon they wear and it becomes noticeable again.

After reviewing the crabbing fault MB engineers have found the tyres work much better when warm. The permanent fix is to warm the car up a little, but looks like they've also got this wrong :)

MB are working on Fire Proof tyres that minimise and conteract the affect of a charred car :)

Tony
That's the trouble with the public, they look to you for help and guidance to resolve the naturally occurring 'characteristic' known as crabbing... Unfortunately some take your words too literally... It has been reported that some upon hearing the words the words cold crabbing need heat, thought that lighting a fire under the bonnet would cure it.

Last edited:
So today it is 11 degrees and I have brand new tyres and I'm virtually crab free. I still notice it but I can appreciate that some would think what the fuss is about.

Having received new tyres at just 4,500 miles is an interesting exercise as it allowed me to reset my experience. I assume I can still faintly notice it whilst other new owners can't is because of my size of wheel/tyres. I assume that it is so faint at the moment because my tyres are now brand new. I think that is probably why although I reported it on day two of ownership I didn't step up my complaint in full force with my dealer until month two.

I'm sure all season tyres will just mask it better than new tyres. And I wonder how soon they wear and it becomes noticeable again.
In my experience, dampness causes the same problem, so it will be interesting what happens as the weather bounces around.

Assume from around day 1 you experienced Crabbing which eventually turned into Cluncking after your tyres aged a little?

Might be an idea to measure your tread depth across the front tyres at this point. Posting the make and size of these new tyres might also be useful to other GLC owners?
Tyre tread depth gauges are readily available. This would help get a measure of wear if and when the phenomenon recurs.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tread-Depth-Gauge-PCL-Approved/dp/B003***KJO&tag=amazon0e9db-21
41OOFhqa36L._SX425_.jpg

Wonder if the excessive side wear caused by the crabbing will now go away so in theory your tyres should wear evenly so it will be hard to judge this?

It did it on day one. With Mercedes in the car ;). But yes I've got that depth gauge and will keep a log. There is only one tyre available for the 21" AMG. Continental Sport Contact.

It did it on day one. With Mercedes in the car ;). But yes I've got that depth gauge and will keep a log. There is only one tyre available for the 21" AMG. Continental Sport Contact.
You just reminded me, when I first reported the crabbing issue to my local dealer, both they and MBUK blamed me for picking large wheels on the car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom