Mercedes GLC Clonking and juddering on near full steering lock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Car returned with Goodyear Eagle Sport All Season MO Extended fitted.

The original fronts have 6mm centre and <2-3mm on the outside tread, I'm I right in believing that is uneven and excessive wear on a car with 6k.
Response from the garage:

Im afraid I am unable to pass judgement on the wear of your previous tyres, Mercedes Benz have acknowledged the crabbing issue and provided you with brand new tyres as a replacement, as ive previously stated Mercedes Benz stand by the statement that this is a comfort issue and not safety related, the alignment of the vehicle was slightly out which could be down to previous incidents or pothole damage, this has been rectified by us free of charge. *

WTF, the garage will not explain the wear!

WTF, the garage will not explain the wear!

Being realistic, they're never going to say it was excessive. And they're especially not going to say it in writing!

I contacted my dealer yesterday, the guy in service had no idea of the issue.

I contacted MB CS, told him my story, and he knew what I was chatting about, logged the issue and said he'd contact the dealer.

Head of after sales at my dealer phoned me the same day. His opening position was that he *thought* this wasn't an issue for early GLCs. I got mine in Nov 2015, and reported the issue in Dec. They took the car in in Jan 2016, confirmed the issue, took out a stock car and found it was similar, and told me it must be part of the car and all 4x4s do it.

Anyhow he phoned back today to ask what tyres are on my car. I've given him the tyre details and he is going to report back.

Ultimately at the time I was told there was nothing to be done and I accepted it. My car is 17 months old and I've done around 9K miles. But I reported the issue within a month of so of purchase, and they agreed it was there. Hearing now that there is a potential solution to stop this knocking, when original I was told nothing could be done, I feel justified in looking for the solution. I'll report back when I know more.

Last edited:
My Mercedes debacle continues. Last week I received an Email from Listers Service Manager saying Mercedes have supplied Vredestein Quatrac 5 225/50/19 extra load 107w tyres for my GLC, my Email response highlighted it actually has 255/50/19 rear and 235/55/19 front fitted. I get no response form the Service Manager to my Email and he books my car in for the tyres to be fitted so I assume the tyre size quoted is an error after all my GLC is on the MB database so they must know the tyre size. Today I take the car to Listers, after 30 mins sitting there assuming the tyres are being fitted the Service Manager walks over and says the tyres supplied by Mercedes are the wrong size. At this stage I'm completely gobsmacked and mention my Email highlighting the size difference the previous week and get no response. After a further hour I get the car back with the original tyres fitted, oh at least I got a freebee car wash.

To be honest this has completely destroyed what little confidence I had in Mercedes and Listers, I've had more crap from them in the two months I've owned the GLC than I had from Audi in 10 years, I really just wish I'd stayed with Audi and purchased the new model Q5.....

Last edited by a moderator:
My Mercedes debacle continues. Last week I received an Email from Listers Service Manager saying Mercedes have supplied Vredestein Quatrac 5 225/50/19 extra load 107w tyres for my GLC, my Email response highlighted it actually has 255/50/19 rear and 235/55/19 front fitted. I get no response form the Service Manager to my Email and he books my car in for the tyres to be fitted so I assume the tyre size quoted is an error after all my GLC is on the MB database so they must know the tyre size. Today I take the car to Listers, after 30 mins sitting there assuming the tyres are being fitted the Service Manager walks over and says the tyres supplied by Mercedes are the wrong size. At this stage I'm completely gobsmacked and mention my Email highlighting the size difference the previous week and get no response. After a further hour I get the car back with the original tyres fitted, oh at least I got a freebee car wash.

To be honest this has completely destroyed what little confidence I had in Mercedes and Listers, I've had more crap from them in the two months I've owned the GLC than I had from Audi in 10 years, I really just wish I'd stayed with Audi and purchased the new model Q5.....
I feel exactly the same mate.

My car went back to the garage that sold me the car on the premise that things would be investigated and resolved, they assured me they were independent from Mercedes and that they would do wonders..

Well it was all a farce, they did it for their own purposes, surprise surprise, nothing was found and they completely changed their story once they saw the car, as they had covered themselves...

On the crabbing issues, they ignored my advice on how to recreate not only the crabbing but also the tyres losing traction, when they 'found' absolutely nothing wrong with the car, did they call to ask for more information on how to recreate the problem, no of course not, they just wrote an email to tell me within 5 minutes of having the car that it was a comfort issue and the all season tyres would resolve it.
- they had refused to wait until a rainy day to collect the car so I could demonstrate to them where I know I can recreate.

When I dug a bit further I am told they tested the car on a lorry turning circle in torrential rain (even though it hadn't rained), I questioned their method and pointed out how to test, they just ignored and quoted the Mercedes stance and the DEKRA findings that it was just comfort.

When I got the car back with the old tyres in the boot, i found them very uneven/worn front tyres, I email dealership and state to them what's wrong with the tyres and that it clearly demonstrates an undiagnosed problem, they just quoted back 'no comment' and referred to Mercedes stance.

So yes, I'm absolutely mortified by the behaviour of Mercedes and the dealerships I have dealt with.

Oh, I was also told I was getting the car back with it fully valeted and I should be grateful that they examined it and i should be happy with the fact that they could be trusted that anything wrong with the car would be fixed as it has a warranty! (Oh yes the warranty that means didily squat if Mercedes don't recognise the problems reported!), I also got told I hadn't been inconvenienced at any time.

Well the car was absolutely filthy and the communications from the dealership were rude and condescending, I complained, guess what, no apology, just more self serving statements and nonsense.

For a premium brand, they just treat their customer, who don't forget are spending large amount of money on their product, like mugs

Last edited:
I find with the replacement all season tyres, that the ride is much much firmer, which is quite an issue for me due to my spinal arthritis. No point me complaining as it'll make no difference.

I feel exactly the same mate.

My car went back to the garage that sold me the car on the premise that things would be investigated and resolved, they assured me they were independent from Mercedes and that they would do wonders..

Well it was all a farce, they did it for their own purposes, surprise surprise, nothing was found and they completely changed their story once they saw the car, as they had covered themselves...

On the crabbing issues, they ignored my advice on how to recreate not only the crabbing but also the tyres losing traction, when they 'found' absolutely nothing wrong with the car, did they call to ask for more information on how to recreate the problem, no of course not, they just wrote an email to tell me within 5 minutes of having the car that it was a comfort issue and the all season tyres would resolve it.
- they had refused to wait until a rainy day to collect the car so I could demonstrate to them where I know I can recreate.

When I dug a bit further I am told they tested the car on a lorry turning circle in torrential rain (even though it hadn't rained), I questioned their method and pointed out how to test, they just ignored and quoted the Mercedes stance and the DEKRA findings that it was just comfort.

When I got the car back with the old tyres in the boot, i found them very uneven/worn front tyres, I email dealership and state to them what's wrong with the tyres and that it clearly demonstrates an undiagnosed problem, they just quoted back 'no comment' and referred to Mercedes stance.

So yes, I'm absolutely mortified by the behaviour of Mercedes and the dealerships I have dealt with.

Oh, I was also told I was getting the car back with it fully valeted and I should be grateful that they examined it and i should be happy with the fact that they could be trusted that anything wrong with the car would be fixed as it has a warranty! (Oh yes the warranty that means didily squat if Mercedes don't recognise the problems reported!), I also got told I hadn't been inconvenienced at any time.

Well the car was absolutely filthy and the communications from the dealership were rude and condescending, I complained, guess what, no apology, just more self serving statements and nonsense.

For a premium brand, they just treat their customer, who don't forget are spending large amount of money on their product, like mugs

Yes when I got home my freebee valet was only a half valet, the wheels had only received a cursory wipe leaving the black parts still dirty and the crap shiny black center dash was covered in dust but the floor had been hoovered. I forwarded my Email from last week back to Listers that had highlighted the all season tyre size error asking why they hadn't checked the new tyre sizes which would have saved me a wasted 1.5hr visit, I also mentioned the poor standard of the freebee valet. This is the reply I received from Listers "Thank you for your comments, I will ensure it gets passed onto our valeting company" no mention of why they hadn't confirmed the tyres sizes. Listers replaced my tyres shortly after purchase new two months ago due to a tyre spec misunderstanding on their behalf when they told me run flats would be fitted and they weren't so they do know my GLC tyre sizes yet they still didn't pick up Mercedes had sent the wrong size with this knowledge and my Email raising the error. I'm beginning to think they're taking the Micheal. Wish I hadn't left Audi, I made the mistake of thinking by moving to Mercedes I was moving to another prestige vehicle, what a mistake....:dk:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes when I got home my freebee valet was only a half valet, the wheels had only received a cursory wipe leaving the black parts still dirty and the crap shiny black center dash was covered in dust but the floor had been hoovered. I forwarded my Email from last week back to Listers that had highlighted the all season tyre size error asking why they hadn't checked the new tyre sizes which would have saved me a wasted 1.5hr visit, I also mentioned the poor standard of the freebee valet. This is the reply I received from Listers "Thank you for your comments, I will ensure it gets passed onto our valeting company" no mention of why they hadn't confirmed the tyres sizes. Listers replaced my tyres shortly after purchase new two months ago due to a tyre spec misunderstanding on their behalf when they told me run flats would be fitted and they weren't so they do know my GLC tyre sizes yet they still didn't pick up Mercedes had sent the wrong size with this knowledge and my Email raising the error. I'm beginning to think they're taking the Micheal. Wish I hadn't left Audi, I made the mistake of thinking by moving to Mercedes I was moving to another prestige vehicle, what a mistake....:dk:
My first at last Mercedes.

Not too railroad a very interesting thread - here.

Personally I would run a mile if any dealer offers to clean the car. I take this to the point of telling any garage/dealer that I "Do not want my car cleaned. Thank you".

Why? They employ teams of people who's sole qualification to clean your pride & joy, is their ownership of a 50million horsepower, diesel fueled Jet Washer. This will strip paint of the Forth Road Bridge at a distance of around 15 miles and has a recoil greater than a 22 inch Naval Gun. The Shampoo of choice (its really, really cheap) is Traffic Film Remover - TFR - which is used in the industry to clean trucks, including their engines.

The dealer will operate on the principle that should you find that most of your paint has now disappeared? It is your fault for allowing them to wash to car - or, you never stated you did not want It washed by them. Do not, under any circumstances expect the dealer to be sympathetic and reaching for their wallets.

Some of them also employ hoovers, that only hoover up expensive sunglasses, loose change, trinkets etc, whilst leaving any dust & dirt where it was before the process started. As above.... This is your fault and not the dealers.

You have been warned.

My Mercedes debacle continues. Last week I received an Email from Listers Service Manager saying Mercedes have supplied Vredestein Quatrac 5 225/50/19 extra load 107w tyres for my GLC, my Email response highlighted it actually has 255/50/19 rear and 235/55/19 front fitted. I get no response form the Service Manager to my Email and he books my car in for the tyres to be fitted so I assume the tyre size quoted is an error after all my GLC is on the MB database so they must know the tyre size.

Although I have a lot of sympathy with your situation, if I got such an email, replied to it and had no response, i'd be thinking that my response had not been delivered, or that it's significance had not been picked up. I definitely would not assume all was now good and go ahead with an appointment.

Although I have a lot of sympathy with your situation, if I got such an email, replied to it and had no response, i'd be thinking that my response had not been delivered, or that it's significance had not been picked up. I definitely would not assume all was now good and go ahead with an appointment.
I think its a culture thing, fleece the customer and then don't give two hoots.

Whether email, telephone calls or face to face, the experience is just the same.

There seem to be a lot of upset GLC owners here, why don't you all get together and sue Mercedes Benz ?

Also did none of you take a proper test drive before ordering your cars ?

Or do MB have a special batch of GLC that do not 'clonk' and are reserved just for test drives ?

I am not taking the Mick, I too would be properly peed' off if I were experiencing the same problems both with car AND dealer(s) that you are suffering.

Good luck

I think its a culture thing, fleece the customer and then don't give two hoots.

Whether email, telephone calls or face to face, the experience is just the same.

How does a MB dealer "cultural thing" explain a customer not ensuring that a query had been acted upon, when it's central to an upcoming visit ?

His dealer told him via email that tyres were ordered, and the customer picked up that the very specific information supplied in the email (Vredestein Quatrac 5 225/50/19 extra load 107w tyres) did not match what his vehicle needed. He advised them of this via email, but decided to just proceed to accept a subsequently received tyre-swap date as he *assumed* (his word) that the very specific information originally received was incorrect, on the basis he'd had no follow-up to his tyre query email.

If I had previous difficulties with a dealer, I'd not be making assumptions based on a lack of response to a query I made, especially when it involved me potentially wasting time on a dealer visit. When you are dealing with someone who has shaken your confidence in their dealings with you, you have to protect yourself as far as possible from further issues. It may not be your fault, but ultimately it's you that ends up with the heartache/frustration.

Last edited:
How does a MB dealer "cultural thing" explain a customer not ensuring that a query had been acted upon, when it's central to an upcoming visit ?

His dealer told him via email that tyres were ordered, and the customer picked up that the very specific information supplied in the email (Vredestein Quatrac 5 225/50/19 extra load 107w tyres) did not match what his vehicle needed. He advised them of this via email, but decided to just proceed to accept a subsequently received tyre-swap date as he *assumed* (his word) that the very specific information originally received was incorrect, on the basis he'd had no follow-up to his tyre query email.

If I had previous difficulties with a dealer, I'd not be making assumptions based on a lack of response to a query I made, especially when it involved me potentially wasting time on a dealer visit. When you are dealing with someone who has shaken your confidence in their dealings with you, you have to protect yourself as far as possible from further issues. It may not be your fault, but ultimately it's you that ends up with the heartache/frustration.
If you had bothered to read the whole conversation rather than select an individual element, you would get what was being said.

Sent from my SM-T805 using Tapatalk

hallra said:
If you had bothered to read the whole conversation rather than select an individual element, you would get what was being said. Sent from my SM-T805 using Tapatalk

He probably started reading it then got bored of you lot going on and on about it :)

If you had bothered to read the whole conversation rather than select an individual element, you would get what was being said.

Sent from my SM-T805 using Tapatalk

This thread is for the knocking and clonking on the GLC. I've had that since Nov 2015, and reported on the 2nd post in a thread in the general section here:-
https://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/general-discussion/201420-knocking-steering-new-glc.html

This thread wasn't created until a couple of weeks later, and as it relates specifically to an issue in my car, I've read all 700+ posts on this thread as they were posted.

I was responding to his latest specific issue relating to his tyre order.

He has lost faith in his dealership due to various issues. Knowing that, he didn't bother to double check that they had indeed received and acted on his email telling them they had received incorrect tyres. Rather he just *assumed* (still his word) they had acted on it. As per his message, he ended up with a wasted journey to his dealer.

I would not be going to a what I'd determined to be a lousy dealer for tyres until I phoned up and confirmed they had in stock the tyres I needed, and not the tyres they had told me they had received, which I knew to be incorrect.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom