Mercedes GLC Clonking and juddering on near full steering lock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This thread is for the knocking and clonking on the GLC. I've had that since Nov 2015, and reported on the 2nd post in a thread in the general section here:-
https://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/general-discussion/201420-knocking-steering-new-glc.html

This thread wasn't created until a couple of weeks later, and as it relates specifically to an issue in my car, I've read all 700+ posts on this thread as they were posted.

I was responding to his latest specific issue relating to his tyre order.

He has lost faith in his dealership due to various issues. Knowing that, he didn't bother to double check that they had indeed received and acted on his email telling them they had received incorrect tyres. Rather he just *assumed* (still his word) they had acted on it. As per his message, he ended up with a wasted journey to his dealer.

I would not be going to a what I'd determined to be a lousy dealer for tyres until I phoned up and confirmed they had in stock the tyres I needed, and not the tyres they had told me they had received, which I knew to be incorrect.

As stated Listers replaced my MO tyres with MOE run flats shortly after purchasing my GLC new in January 2017 so they know the tyres sizes required. We had numerous conversation about the correct MOE tyre sizes for my 20" wheels which proved problematic as they weren't available resulting in the hassle of swapping my 20in wheels with 19in from a new demo GLC and refunding my wheel upgrade cost(please don't post your thoughts on run flats in this thread). Once the new 19in wheels and MOE tyres were fitted I confirmed they had updated the Mercedes database to reflect the change in wheel and tyres spec on my GLC to be informed it had been updated. With this in mind why then would Mercedes send the wrong spec tyres and 4 the same size when the AMG Line front/rear tyres are different sizes.

Listers replied to the Email in which I queried the tyre sizes with the appointment details for fitting the replacement tyres. The lack of a response to my tyre size query in that Email suggested they'd made a mistake with the tyre spec and all was OK hence the appointment booking.

It won't happen again. I've found that if you post a poor feedback one star review on their Facebook page you are invited for a meeting with the branch manager. I wonder if he's recovered from my last reaming yet, it certainly resulted in things being done. During our meeting I agreed to give Listers the benefit of the doubt and start fresh with out relationship, and now this. I wonder if he's looking forward to our next meeting......:mad::crazy:

It won't happen again. I've found that if you post a poor feedback one star review on their Facebook page you are invited for a meeting with the branch manager. I wonder if he's recovered from my last reaming yet, it certainly resulted in things being done. During our meeting I agreed to give Listers the benefit of the doubt and start fresh with out relationship, and now this. I wonder if he's looking forward to our next meeting......:mad::crazy:

Sigh

Listers replied to the Email in which I queried the tyre sizes with the appointment details for fitting the replacement tyres. The lack of a response to my tyre size query in that Email suggested they'd made a mistake with the tyre spec and all was OK hence the appointment booking.

I'll agree it suggested they'd made a mistake. Just not the one you assumed.

Have any C Class owners actually had concrete confirmation from their dealer that their car will be covered by the 'tyre change' program as when I recently spoke with MB CS they said that the C Class was not and I should contact my dealer which I have done and they said that they have not changed the tyres on any GLC or C Class cars!! Sounds very unlikely to me......

Have any C Class owners actually had concrete confirmation from their dealer that their car will be covered by the 'tyre change' program as when I recently spoke with MB CS they said that the C Class was not and I should contact my dealer which I have done and they said that they have not changed the tyres on any GLC or C Class cars!! Sounds very unlikely to me......
A Mercedes dealer not being straight with one of their customers, never experienced that....

Sent from my SM-T805 using Tapatalk

REf GLC, I took a follow-up call from MB yesterday, who was checking to see if my dealer had made contact etc.

Tell you what, why don't we just organise a mass demolition derby consisting of every single GLC ever sold in the UK , when its over we can then all get on with our lives. :rolleyes:

Tell you what, why don't we just organise a mass demolition derby consisting of every single GLC ever sold in the UK , when its over we can then all get on with our lives. :rolleyes:

Clearly not much happening in your world today are all the petrol stations closed in your area?:rolleyes:

Clearly not much happening in your world today are all the petrol stations closed in your area?:rolleyes:
You must admit this thread is getting a bit dull now, it appears a lot of people have spent a lot of money on a car that seems not fit for purpose....or accept "they all do that sir/madam"

I would think its run its course and has been instrumental in warning us all off ever buying one (new or used) unless willing to live with this 'clonking' trait.

REf GLC, I took a follow-up call from MB yesterday, who was checking to see if my dealer had made contact etc.
Must be a first, MB pro-actively contacting a customer

Sent from my SM-T805 using Tapatalk

Ok, apologies for not posting for a while. I thought it was best to get on with my life and monitor the situation.

I've now done about 1,000 miles on my replacement Continental SportContact 5 Star rated tyres for my 21" equipped GLC43. And despite a single little wobble, I am please to report we have had no issues whatsoever during that period.

The car makes no noise, in fact these Star rated vs the MO rated models are definitely quieter. But more importantly no crabbing. During that period we've have it all, hot weather, and very cold weather, rain and today even snow, and hail, and sunshine. They haven't missed a beat.

In addition another problem I had was the excessive tyre wear. Currently there is no such evidence of the car.

In fact it has been so smooth as I expect of a Mercedes and just like our GLS was. So no, not all Mercedes/4x4/sport cars etc do this :p

Seriously, to me this whole episode is starting to seem like a past bad dream. I'm also aware that a few who reject within the first 30 days have now received their refunds. But personally I'm content that this car can drive like a Mercedes.

Will there be long term damage? Who knows...I'll get rid way before then, and honestly can't be bothered spending my time worrying about what may happen in the future. The here and now is good, and this is now the fantastic car that I thought I bought in the first place.

...I've now done about 1,000 miles on my replacement Continental SportContact 5 Star rated tyres for my 21" equipped GLC43...

Are you referring to BMW-approved tyres?

Indeed :) The tyres are actually different, the star marked tyres have Contiseal technology, whilst the MO marked don't. Further more the EU sticker suggests they are quieter (they are to my ears), handle better in the rain as well.

My dealer told me all these marking are ********, to be honest I really don't know what to believe they said. But as I always exclaimed, I'm willing to give them the opportunity to rectify it. And to me it seems like it did. No complaints now.

Ok, apologies for not posting for a while. I thought it was best to get on with my life and monitor the situation.

I've now done about 1,000 miles on my replacement Continental SportContact 5 Star rated tyres for my 21" equipped GLC43. And despite a single little wobble, I am please to report we have had no issues whatsoever during that period.

The car makes no noise, in fact these Star rated vs the MO rated models are definitely quieter. But more importantly no crabbing. During that period we've have it all, hot weather, and very cold weather, rain and today even snow, and hail, and sunshine. They haven't missed a beat.

In addition another problem I had was the excessive tyre wear. Currently there is no such evidence of the car.

In fact it has been so smooth as I expect of a Mercedes and just like our GLS was. So no, not all Mercedes/4x4/sport cars etc do this :p

Seriously, to me this whole episode is starting to seem like a past bad dream. I'm also aware that a few who reject within the first 30 days have now received their refunds. But personally I'm content that this car can drive like a Mercedes.

Will there be long term damage? Who knows...I'll get rid way before then, and honestly can't be bothered spending my time worrying about what may happen in the future. The here and now is good, and this is now the fantastic car that I thought I bought in the first place.

Wow, that's quite a turnaround from your previous posts. I'm glad it's been sorted to your satisfaction :thumb:

Indeed :) The tyres are actually different, the star marked tyres have Contiseal technology, whilst the MO marked don't. Further more the EU sticker suggests they are quieter (they are to my ears), handle better in the rain as well.

My dealer told me all these marking are ********, to be honest I really don't know what to believe they said. But as I always exclaimed, I'm willing to give them the opportunity to rectify it. And to me it seems like it did. No complaints now.

I fully appreciate your elation after all the hassle with Mercedes over the crabbing you've experienced but did they rectify it, will it remain rectified on another brand and model of tyre like the LHS GLC. I also appreciate it will suffice until you change your GLC before the warranty expires but it's a hell of a state of affairs being hung out to dry like this by an alleged prestige company.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom