Mercedes GLE W166 Bursts into Flames and Burns

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pmcgsmurf

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E55 AMG W211, E250 Sport W212, (and some Imps)
A friend has just sent me some pictures of his car, parked up then started burning from the front..

IMG_0186.jpg

IMG_0188.jpg

From memory I think he had a GLE.

Needless to say it's a write off and so is the van it was parked next to.

That is horrendous. Hopefully no one was nearby at the time?

Was it petrol or Diesel?

That is horrendous. Hopefully no one was nearby at the time?

His lad had parked it then tried to move it away when he seen it was on fire but thought better of it.

Was it petrol or Diesel?

Can't remember, will ask when I see them later in week.

Spoke to his wife who mentioned something about it not starting right away on the start button but would after a few more tries.

Blimey that looks nasty. Yes that’s a W166 GLE. Hand sanitiser (alcohol gel) is being linked to recent car fires - albeit on social media - I don’t suppose there was some in the car was there?

Blimey that looks nasty. Yes that’s a W166 GLE. Hand sanitiser (alcohol gel) is being linked to recent car fires - albeit on social media - I don’t suppose there was some in the car was there?

They said it started from under the bonnet.

Also:

... I better bring my bottle of hand sanitiser inside ;)

Also:

That one looks similar.

I'm no expert on automotive fires, but I have some experience of roast racing cars.
The most likely cause is a high pressure flammable liquid leak getting on something very hot (for example exhaust system)
These can include, but are not confined to:
Petrol or diesel
Brake fluid
Engine oil
Transmission oil or ATF
Rouge cans of sanitiser!

For those who have not set light to a WD40 spray (!) the result can be very dramatic!

In the case of the vehicle in the link, I wonder if the gear change issues just prior to the fire are a clue?

Last edited:
Apparently oil foam can escape in some conditions and ignite on some vehicles.

Also starter can overheat with repeated attempts to start vehicle.

Needles to say above car was written off without the engineer coming in person to look at it.

Sometimes if you park over something that is flammable , like long grass which has dried in the sun , hot components can cause a fire to start under the vehicle ...

The increase in fuel pressures used with modern CGI direct injection petrol systems would imply large volumes of finely atomised fuel escaping in the event of any leaks?

Reactions: 219

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom