Mercedes hard clear coat - safe to use polish?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Djcheshire

Car
E250
My 2012 black E250 coupe arrived last week and I've slowly been purchasing detailing products to give her a good clean.

I had planned to use Meguiar's Ultra Compound with a Sonus SFX hand pad as I don't have access to a DA, nor the skill!

However as I understand the Mercedes use a very hard clear coat, "ceramiclear" and it's advisable not to use overly harsh polishing compounds.

Is anyone familiar with this?

What's safe to use by hand to remove light swirls and scratches?

Thanks

there will be other opinions, but a good stating point is meguiars ultimate compound, or auto finesse triple, then you can use wax and sealer of your choice. the meguiars carnauba liquid wax is good, as is auto finesse illusion, and as a pre winter wax, I use colinite - although that is very hard work ! these are all done by hand, with micro fibre cloths. I just done trust a da polisher to do the job as well as I can...and I have 2 of them !

My 2012 black E250 coupe arrived last week and I've slowly been purchasing detailing products to give her a good clean.

I had planned to use Meguiar's Ultra Compound with a Sonus SFX hand pad as I don't have access to a DA, nor the skill!

However as I understand the Mercedes use a very hard clear coat, "ceramiclear" and it's advisable not to use overly harsh polishing compounds.

Is anyone familiar with this?

What's safe to use by hand to remove light swirls and scratches?

Thanks

I haven't heard that one before. I have heard that being so hard a finish, it takes a lot of effort to muck the finish up because it is so hard! Seriously though, several detailing guys on here have said that a DA will work on this finish but it will take time compared to a professional polishing machine.
It is good practice when using a machine to start low and work up in polishing compounds in relation to hardness until you find the optimal level or your experience allows you to pick the level.
As for doing it by hand, you'll get a workout for sure!
Don't be scared of the circa £70 DA because you would have to work quite hard to damage your surface; it is that hard…have a look at some YouTube vids; it really is that easy.

Doing it by hand!!, god you will be at it for months man.
A DA such as the Megs G220 etc, is fine for removing swirls and very light scratches, but it has its limitations due to its power and speed.
These low power DAs cannot break down coarse polishing compounds properly, so you end up with a not so satisfactory finish on your paint.
If your not after " full paint correction" then these low power polishing machines will suit you well using medium cut and below polish compounds.
Used correctly they are safe to use on all paint types hard or soft, and for the average detailing guy they provide a good acceptable finish.
A word of warning too!, you have more chance of going through your clear coat by using a coarse compound polish and microfibre cloth than using a DA, simply because you are applying too much pressure and " focus " in one area, if that makes sense?
I have seen this many times, especially on soft, thin Japanese paints!!!

Yeah the plan is to keep an eye out for a DA polisher, not sure I can be bothered doing it by hand. Just spent two days sorting out the wheels, covered in so much tar!

Menzerna apparently compliments the Mercedes paint, so I've ordered a couple of different bottles. Once I've grabbed a DA I can give it a go.

Slightly off topic-£19 for a bucket with a grit guard on that site-unbelievable

Was hoping to get a second hand one a little cheaper. Otherwise one can get carrier away with the polish, pads, sealant etc...

Unbelievably good or bad?

It was so cheap I bought 20 and hope to sell them on ebay for a song:thumb:

Anyway I really did a bucket at the princely sum of £1.49.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom