Mercedes Hire Car / Europcar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aquiss

Morning all,

Last week my 18 month E-Class was recovered from my home, arranged by Mercedes, which turned out to be a major coolant leak. The car ended up being in the workshop for 4 days (originally expected to be a same day thing).

Mercedes therefore decided to provide me with a C Class hire car in case of emergencies, which they arranged for me. This turned out to be via Europcar.

That car was delivered by Europcar to my house, where it sat on my drive for 4 days (never moved). The car was delivered to me, with 75% fuel in tank. On the morning I was advised to pick up the car, I drove the hire car, the 10 miles to the dealer, but popped in £5 worth of fuel, taking it above what they supplied to me.

This morning, I woken up to an invoice, from Europcar for £20.16, claiming I've driven 54 miles and used 14 litres of fuel. :dk:

It appears I've picked up the tab for filling the car back too 100% tank (even though I was told to return to the level I had received it) but the 54 miles driven is the bizarre thing. Have they included the miles from where they brought the car from and again I've picked up that tab too?

I know it's only £20, but is this practice a little wrong? Thoughts?

A case of bolting the stable but ALWAYS when leaving your car with MB for work or taking charge of a loan or hire car, take lots of photos….instrument readings, wheels & tyres, bodywork, skirts and valences, engine sump etc. There can be no argument about mysterious additional mileage, lost fuel or suspicious damage.

A case of bolting the stable but ALWAYS when leaving your car with MB for work or taking charge of a loan or hire car, take lots of photos….instrument readings, wheels & tyres, bodywork, skirts and valences, engine sump etc. There can be no argument about mysterious additional mileage, lost fuel or suspicious damage.

I can't figure out whether this is serious or a joke.

I had a similar experience when hiring a C4 Cactus (please do not laugh, I had not arranged it personally) from Avis in Frankfurt at the end of last year: the contract clearly said that I was supposed to return the car with the same amount of fuel, or pay the difference.
Now, I do not remember the exact figures, but just to give you an idea, I had used no more than one third of the tank, which I clearly pointed out to the Avis clerk when returning the car. It was therefore a big surprise when I got the invoice two days later for the whole tank of fuel.
Allegedly there was a small print somewhere according to which if the customer had returned the car with less fuel than originally present at the time of collection, then he would have had to repay the full tank.
I immediately called Avis.de and challenged them to produce a copy of the contract in English showing that particular clause. I had been told more or less that I was wrong, but as a "gesture of goodwill" they would have been happy to reduce my fuel bill to € 10, which by the way was definitely much less of what I was supposed (and would have been more than willing) to pay anyway.

I was charged, via my credit card, for extra fuel after I returned a rental car to the French side of Geneva airport.

Before returning a car I always take a photo of the fuel gauge using my phone so I was able to show that I returned it full and eventually I was re-reimbursed.

When my CLS suspension went MB provided me with a free E220 cab last year it was via europacar. lt came with a full tank used 1/4 tank and i didn't top it back up and i never got a bill. How have they got your card details/billing address?

I can't figure out whether this is serious or a joke.

Quite serious. Why would it not be?…...

I was charged, via my credit card, for extra fuel after I returned a rental car to the French side of Geneva airport.

Before returning a car I always take a photo of the fuel gauge using my phone so I was able to show that I returned it full and eventually I was re-reimbursed.

Last edited:
Car hire companies love to try it on. I once returned a rental car to Madeira airport having filled it to the brim, I got a refuelling charge billed to my credit card.

Fortunately, I had a receipt showing that I'd filled the car 10 minutes before I dropped it off - cue an apology and instant refund. It makes me wonder how many times they get away with it, though..

Cheers,

Gaz

Quite serious. Why would it not be?…...

OK, it's your car and your way of life but I find it a bit neurotic, especially crawling under the car to take photos of the sump.

Like I said it's your call but, personally, I simply wouldn't leave my car with a garage that I distrusted that much. It reminds me a bit of the guys that review their dashcams after having a service - a n a l.

OK, it's your car and your way of life but I find it a bit neurotic, especially crawling under the car to take photos of the sump.

Like I said it's your call but, personally, I simply wouldn't leave my car with a garage that I distrusted that much. It reminds me a bit of the guys that review their dashcams after having a service - a n a l.

Having read the other posts on this thread relating to people being ripped off by hire companies and how a simple photo saved lots any argument, I will continue because it clearly works. Over the top or just careful; it's a matter of perspective really.

Last edited:
Having read the other posts on this thread relating to people being ripped off by hire companies and how a simple photo saved lots any argument, I will continue without your blessing because it clearly works. Additionally, unlike you, I live and let live without going out of my way to be argumentative, insulting and antagonistic.
But thanks for your input; never helpful and always critical but, rest assured, I will strive to be as perfect as you in the future.

Ta!

Ah, too slow on the edit?

I've asked a few friends and not one takes photos of the sump, or any other part of their
car, before a service.

So, out of a hundred, how many do you think do that?

I reckon one, maybe two.

Car hire companies love to try it on. I once returned a rental car to Madeira airport having filled it to the brim, I got a refuelling charge billed to my credit card.

Fortunately, I had a receipt showing that I'd filled the car 10 minutes before I dropped it off - cue an apology and instant refund. It makes me wonder how many times they get away with it, though..

Cheers,

Gaz

Had similar from Hertz in Florida. Was a bit peeved as the charge was so high that the tank would have to have been virtually empty. Take photo of fuel gauge now, with mileage on view, and receipt for the full tank also.

Ah, too slow on the edit?

I've asked a few friends and not one takes photos of the sump, or any other part of their
car, before a service.

So, out of a hundred, how many do you think do that?

I reckon one, maybe two.

Deliberately ignoring the other part of the post relating to hire cars and all the other posts relating to the associated problems. Well done you.
I did edit my original post because it is nice to be polite and make allowances for those who are not but your pointless rejoinder only proves I was correct in the first place; you were/are being unnecessarily unhelpful, antagonistic, insulting and argumentative as always.

Have they included the miles from where they brought the car from and again I've picked up that tab too?

Sounds like that could have happened.

Some of the reactions and tales in the thread are a bit strange, and irrelevant.

I wouldn't form an opinion until I'd asked them. Could just be a genuine mistake.

Sounds like that could have happened.

Some of the reactions and tales in the thread are a bit strange, and irrelevant.

I wouldn't form an opinion until I'd asked them. Could just be a genuine mistake.

And I know that at least some of the hire companies make the hirer responsible for fuel from the depot when delivering cars...

I had issues with Europcar also when I had a loan car from them which was FOC to me at part of mobilo.

Speak to them and they will sort it, probably just a simple error.

The last thing Europcar will want is MB customers complaining to the dealer/ MB UK about the sercive they received from their hire car supplier!

I fell victim to this twice..once in Germany, Eurocar, MB B Class and once in California, Avis, Ford Crown Victoria. Similar circumstances both times..single traveller, OAP, hot, tired, ancient back playing up, in a hurry to catch flight, just want to get home, cost me about 30 Euros and $50 respectively. Will be more careful in the future. Although I may be getting too old (77) to rent..anyone experienced this? I know travel insurance is astronomical regardless of what the TV ads say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom