Mercedes hybrid for the discerning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonthetourist

Car
SL 300-24
No not one of those Prius things.

I have previously had a C270cdi. Great engine, plenty of oomph, lasts for ever (it's from the Sprinter) and used to give me 44mpg.

Never had a 124, but you can't be a member on here and not hear positive things about them.

So my question is, would it be possible to combine the two, and create a powerful economical car that will last forever?

A whimsical notion.

Jon

jonthetourist said:
No not one of those Prius things.

I have previously had a C270cdi. Great engine, plenty of oomph, lasts for ever (it's from the Sprinter) and used to give me 44mpg.

Never had a 124, but you can't be a member on here and not hear positive things about them.

So my question is, would it be possible to combine the two, and create a powerful economical car that will last forever?

A whimsical notion.

Jon

Yes. Fit a 270 to a sound 124. Anything can be done

Yes. Fit a 270 to a sound 124. Anything can be done

Anything can be done indeed, but I wonder how big a job it would be? They come from different generations, so a lot of things may have changed.

I suppose a more open question might be. If you wanted to use a 124 as your daily driver for the foreseeable future, which modern engine would be the best bet to swap in for power and economy?

Jon

PS This forum does have at least one diesel SL, I know!

just get an OM606 engined W124? That will TRULY last forever and could be a real hybrid too ;-)

just get an OM606 engined W124? That will TRULY last forever and could be a real hybrid too ;-)

It would be lovely, but I can't see it giving 40+ mpg. If it is to be a "car for life" then mpg has to be a consideration, for me at least.

Jon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom