Mercedes in a bog - time for a new one!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Timster

Car
Currently Merc' Less.
So driving home from our holiday in Orkney yesterday. 30 miles south of john o groats. The car didn't go the same direction as the road and we ended up in a bog!

Three of us in the car - my pregnant wife (driving) my 3 year old son and me (and the dog). High speed (approx 55mph) skid. 360 spin then impact with a fence the came to a stop in a bog and not a scratch on us.

If you're going to crash - do it in a merc. That's my philosophy and that of the police who stopped to help and anyone else I've spoken to.

Pretty sure the car will be a write off so in the market for another e class diesel - let me know if you've got one.

About to get a taxi to Inverness to pick up rental car then back up north for family, belongings and dog before returning home.

So glad we are all ok. M
Gutted about my car - but can't fault it one bit. It served me best when it needed to!

Attachments

• image-3658636206.jpg
    image-3658636206.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 278
  • image-3510560135.jpg
    image-3510560135.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 271
Oops - glad to hear you are all ok.

That must have been a frightening experience but what a relief when nobody was hurt. Really glad to hear that you are all OK and that the Merc proved its worth.

As Neil says, it doesn't look that bad and the W210 were tough old horses (apart from the rust in some!)

Glad you are unscathed. Looking at the pics, car does not look that bad?. I have pulled cars out of worse places in my youth, and driven them home.

Neil
Main thing is every one ok.
Looks like if she hadn't lost momentum it would have made it back to the road!

If they dont pull any bits off it when towing it out it will probably be ok, prob just a few scrapes and dings and refit the rear bumper.

Local farmer with a big 4WD tractor would make short work of extracting your car from its predicament [ for a small cash in hand adjustment ;)] to where a standard vehicle recovery rig could get it to wherever you wanted. You might even be able to drive it to the nearest garage after a quick safety inspection

I've seen worse on eBay.....

Your wife lost it on the corner? Or was there something else which contributed to the off road experience?

Thanks for all the comments.

Damage to car:
Extensive bodywork - needs respray.
Drivers wing mirror gone
Suspension damage - not sure what
Chassis damage too -

Awaiting for final decision but sounds like a write off.

Time to start the search for a new one.

Post on that to follow later.

Nope. I think it was entry speed into the corner!!

And a poor camber. We were the 5th accident there in 2014.

See email from roads agency to lady who lives above the corner who was very kind to us:

As you can see action is being taken on the bad bit of road so that's all good. I hope you got home ok and recover from your ordeal. It was lovely to meet you and your son Jacob.

Dee & Hughie

----- Forwarded Message -----
To: "'[email protected]'" <[email protected]>
Sent: Monday, 1 December 2014, 9:25
Subject: FW: New BEAR Enquiry

Hello Denise

My manager John Smith has said that you have witnessed yet another incident near to your property over the weekend.

Following your last email I did try to reply. We did have problems with our external emails around that time and did get an undeliverable receipt so tried again. Im assuming you never received my second attempt. Apologies for this.

See below regarding my last reply.

I will progress the update from our road surface experts and emphasise the urgency.
Im also preparing a report for Transport Scotland with a time line of events and will keep you informed of progress.

I would be grateful if you could continue to let us know of any incidents in the locality as the information is much appreciated.

Regards

Stephen Urquhart, MCIHT

Engineer |Traffic and Road Safety
BEAR Scotland | North West Unit
Bridgepoint House
23a Longman Drive
INVERNESS
IV1 1SU
Direct Line: 03300080559 | Fax: 01463 238318
Email: [email protected]

Visit us @ www.bearscot.com

Please consider the environment before printing this email

Sent: 17 November 2014 17:02
To: '[email protected]'

This was returned. Ill try again

Sent: 14 November 2014 15:10
To: '[email protected]'

Hello Denise

Thank you for your email enquiry earlier today regarding another incident involving a vehicle leaving the road at Borgue.
It has been passed to myself to reply.

To introduce myself, I spoke to your husband, Hugh, several weeks ago about a previous query you had regarding your house access and my manager John Smith has been in contact with yourself since.
I don&rsquo;t have a phone number for yourself to call and only have your husband&rsquo;s mobile number and reluctant to call him as I know he works away from home, hence the email.

I was passed your query of 22nd October, relating to an incident on the 19th October when a car left the road. (I think the picture that is attached to your email of today is the vehicle of 19th)

Following on from this I had instigated a check on the road surface condition using a portable grip tester.
This is a machine, the size of a small trailer, which is pulled behind a vehicle which tests the grip of the road surface and gives a reading.

The test was done on 5th November but I believe there was another incident on the 31st October, fortunately with no injuries and yet another one this morning, all involving a southbound vehicle.

Im still awaiting the final results of the grip tester but these should be available to me in the next few days. When these are available I should be in a position to see what the next step will be.

In the meantime, Im arranging to get our Dunbeath depot to put out some temporary warning signs as an interim measure.

Once again thanks for your information provided and I will be back in touch with an update.

If you have any queries in the meantime, please feel free to contact me.

Regards

Stephen Urquhart, MCIHT

Engineer |Traffic and Road Safety
BEAR Scotland | North West Unit
Bridgepoint House
23a Longman Drive
INVERNESS
IV1 1SU
Direct Line: 03300080559 | Fax: 01463 238318
Email: [email protected]

Visit us @ www.bearscot.com

Please consider the environment before printing this email

Sent: 14 November 2014 11:54
To: Stephen Urquhart

John Smith MCIHT
Road Safety Manager
North West Unit
BEAR Scotland Ltd
Bridgepoint House
23a Longman Drive
Inverness
IV1 1SU
Telephone &ndash; 03300080513 (Direct Line) 07876 825 855 (Mobile)
Visit our web-site at www.bearscot.com
P Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail

Sent: 14 November 2014 11:43
To: John Smith

There are two parts to this enquiry regarding the safety issue at Berredale
Jan

Sent: 14 November 2014 11:29
To: NW-RoadSpace
Subject: New BEAR Enquiry

Dear User,

A new e-mail enquiry has been sent by DENISE MACLEOD ([email protected]).

You have been deemed most suitable to deal with this enquiry.

Click the subject to view the e-mail: Fw A9 AT BORGUE, BERRIEDALE, CAITHNESS

Click here to complete the task and give a brief description of the work done.

Please DO NOT reply to this e-mail

This electronic message contains information from Bear Scotland Ltd and its contents are private and confidential. If you have received this
message in error, please notify us and remove it from your system. Any views expressed in this e-mail that do not relate to Bear Scotland Ltd
official business may not reflect the views of the company. No contract may be concluded on behalf of the company by means of e-mail communication.

Bear Scotland Ltd
Registered Office: Bear House, Inveralmond Road, Perth, PH1 3TW
Registered in Scotland No. SC206139

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom