Mercedes in mass recall of late models.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonecho

Car
W205 C200 petrol
Mercedes-Benz to recall one million vehicles worldwide over fire risk - ITV News
One million Mercedes-Benz vehicles are being recalled worldwide because of a fire risk.
Motor company Daimler AG announced the move after 51 fires related to newer versions of Mercedes vehicles were reported.
The Germany firm said that no injuries or deaths had occurred as a result of the incidents.
The recall covers certain C-class, E-class and CLA cars and GLA and GLC SUVs, all from 2015 through 2017.
Of the million vehicles to be recalled, 307,629 are in the United States, which - along with Germany and China - is among the biggest markets for Mercedes-Benz.
There was no immediate indication from which other countries the cars are set to be recalled.
The summons affects newer models of Mercedes-Benz, including those from the year 2017.
Of the 51 fires, 30 were reported in the US, according to a company spokesman.

With this on their plate, it's no wonder they haven't been too interested in the crabbing issue.

I'd like to know more detail on the root cause of the fires.

I believe it is a characteristic, and you may be required to sign a waiver to this effect.

Sarky bugger I am :)

Mwahahaha!

Crafty Germans are destroying the evidence of crabbing...

REUTERS.

A fix has been implemented in the production of new vehicles and vehicles on dealers lots will be fixed before they are sold, the company said. The issue relates to a potentially faulty fuse.

"Any affected vehicles in inventory will not be sold until they can be outfitted with the additional fuse," said a Mercedes-Benz spokesman.

It's to do with the starter motor overheating on cars that won't start. The bottom line is if your car won't start don't keep trying to start it.

SPX
That's spooky, you pulled that thought right out of my mind!

BMW used a similar tactic years ago to cover their timing chains dropping off and turbos popping by making them unbelievably easy to steal!

Overheating only occurs when the starter is completely stalled i.e. the engine is locked solid and will not crank at all. I suppose it's down to huge battery's and starters with a very high stall current. You'd have to be dumb to repeatedly attempt to start an engine that won't turn. The lights would be dimming at every attempt.

They are going to put a fuse, a very big fuse, in the starter circuit.

Hi,
This is the list of models affected :-

Mercedes-Benz C 300, C300 4Matic, C300 4Matic Coupe, C 300 4Matic Cabrio, C 300 Coupe, C 350e, C 450 4Matic AMG Sport, CLA 250, CLA 250 4Matic, CLA 45 AMG, E 300, E 300 4Matic, E 300 4Matic Wagon, E 43 AMG 4Matic, GLA 250, GLA 250 4Matic, GLC 300, GLC 300 4Matic, GLC 300 4Matic Coupe.
All of these vehicles were produced between February 1, 2014, and February 1, 2017

Cheers
Steve

Looks as if it might include our new C43....

But really, who would try to start any vehicle where the engine is locked solid? Or does this 64 year old petrol head expect too much of the modern owner?

Looks like my C200 is good to crank.

With underpar batteries or aged starter motors I do see people repeatedly crank their cars in winter until the battery is nearly drained, lights go dim when starting, and the starter noise is but a whimper.

BMW used a similar tactic years ago to cover their timing chains dropping off and turbos popping by making them unbelievably easy to steal!
I think that's what's happening with my GLC, Mercedes are trying to get it nicked by remotely opening my boot.... [emoji33]

So to start the fire you have to be:
So stupid you drive into a 6 foot pond and hydro lock the engine.
So stupid you keep cranking it mindlessly until it burns out.

Darwinism?

Hi,
This is the list of models affected :-

Mercedes-Benz C 300, C300 4Matic, C300 4Matic Coupe, C 300 4Matic Cabrio, C 300 Coupe, C 350e, C 450 4Matic AMG Sport, CLA 250, CLA 250 4Matic, CLA 45 AMG, E 300, E 300 4Matic, E 300 4Matic Wagon, E 43 AMG 4Matic, GLA 250, GLA 250 4Matic, GLC 300, GLC 300 4Matic, GLC 300 4Matic Coupe.
All of these vehicles were produced between February 1, 2014, and February 1, 2017

Cheers
Steve
Isn't that a US list? Pretty sure they never sold sold the C450 here and the C300 is a coupe only.
C200 here is the same as the US C300 (just de-tuned) so maybe that's also affected.

Mine goes in for a B service next week. Will see if they have a list of affected VINs yet.

Does anyone know if there is an equivalent list for the UK? I tried to find one before when looking for more info on the charge socket issue on the C350e but it seems MB only make information public if the local laws absolutely demand it. Not really good enough IMO if true.

Just for people's info, there has been no official recall issued to U.K. Dealerships yet. This mornings news article was the first we've heard of it. No UK cars have been recalled yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom