Mercedes in mass recall of late models.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Winds me up how consumer law is so weak this side of the pond.

Stateside, any company affected by a recall will go out their way to publicise and make things as easy as possible.

Here's a VIN lookup on the MBUSA site, telling you about every recall that might affect your vehicle. Does anything similar exist here? Of course not.
https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/recall

Maclaren (buggy, not supercar people) had dangerous hinges a few years back which could trap kids fingers and resulted in amputations. In the US, Maclaren recalled all units and fixed/replaced. Over here refused to admit there was a problem, and then when pressed sent out a cheap half baked fix. And yes, they are a British company.

</rant>

I have emailed my dealer and asked them for a response asap. At least that way it's on record for my car.

I don't think UK owners should be worried about this recall. Modern cars start instantly. If they don't there is something wrong that needs fixing under warranty.

I don't think UK owners should be worried about this recall. Modern cars start instantly. If they don't there is something wrong that needs fixing under warranty.

Well they did stop making them on the 1st Feb 2017, so i guess they're not 'modern', Lol

I've never had a MB recall in 13 years of ownership, this could be my first then if the original list of cars came from a U.S. list, different engine sizes and cars are made in a different factory anyway.

With my Toyota car which single handedly had about 4 recalls, Toyota sent out a letter, and they cleaned the car (standard anyway), but gave a bottle of champagne and a tank of fuel.

If anyone acquires a confirmed list of cars, please post here

A brief informal survey might??? indicate that the starters involved are made by Denso [ an Italian company]and may be only found on petrol engined cars ??? By good luck ---diesel engined cars may have more robust/ heavier duty starters made by Bosch.* Altho the US recall has been issued it won't be actioned till parts are available- likely around July in the states.

* don't take as gospel just extrapolated from part nos on EPC :dk:

A brief informal survey might??? indicate that the starters involved are made by Denso [ an Italian company]and may be only found on petrol engined cars ??? By good luck ---diesel engined cars may have more robust/ heavier duty starters made by Bosch.* Altho the US recall has been issued it won't be actioned till parts are available- likely around July in the states.

* don't take as gospel just extrapolated from part nos on EPC :dk:

I always though that Denso were Japanese! (Nippon-Denso)

You are correct of course. The parent company is Japanese. I believe the starter motors in question are manufactured by Denso Europe in Italy - hence the confusion.:eek:
e.g.

https://picclick.co.uk/Mercedes-Ben...-W176-A6459060800-16-Petrol-262634430537.html

Mercedes-Benz-A-Class-Starter-Motor-W176-A6459060800-16-Petrol-_1.jpg

They are headquartered in Kariya, Aichi Prefecture, Japan but they have many subsidiaries throughout the world EU is in headquartered in the Netherlands

Looks as if it might include our new C43....

But really, who would try to start any vehicle where the engine is locked solid? Or does this 64 year old petrol head expect too much of the modern owner?

Are you going to wait for your dealer to contact you or make the first move yourself?

I'm happy to wait. If it catches fire and burns to the ground, I'll have my money back and buy an XE-S instead. If they get round to fixing it before that, fine.

I'm happy to wait. If it catches fire and burns to the ground, I'll have my money back and buy an XE-S instead. If they get round to fixing it before that, fine.

Spoke to my dealer who said ''They have not officially heard from MB HO as to if/how many cars in the UK this will affect'' they also said the motoring press have over exaggerated this issue. Not sure I would agree with that as wouldn't fancy my wife and children being in the car alone should this happen!!

By over exaggerated they probably mean the risk of fire is extremely low and only possible in the very unusual circumstance of a seized engine or locked transmission. That is what MB have been reported as saying and if it's correct a fire is entirely avoidable. If it fails to crank don't keep trying.

If it was me I'd be more worried about why an engine should size or a transmission lock.

By over exaggerated they probably mean the risk of fire is extremely low and only possible in the very unusual circumstance of a seized engine or locked transmission. That is what MB have been reported as saying and if it's correct a fire is entirely avoidable. If it fails to crank don't keep trying.

If it was me I'd be more worried about why an engine should size or a transmission lock.
The trouble is for me their credibility is shot due to constantly denying/playing down the seriousness of the crabbing issue and other problems found with the GLC.

Who knows whether they are being straight with this issue or they playing this down as well.

The trouble is for me their credibility is shot due to constantly denying/playing down the seriousness of the crabbing issue and other problems found with the GLC.

Who knows whether they are being straight with this issue or they playing this down as well.

Spoke to my dealer about this and he said that someone who posted details of their crabbing on the Honest John site is being sued by MB for fraudulent misrepresentation of this problem!! Anyone else heard about this or is it just another ploy by MB to divert attention away from the issue?

Spoke to my dealer about this and he said that someone who posted details of their crabbing on the Honest John site is being sued by MB for fraudulent misrepresentation of this problem!! Anyone else heard about this or is it just another ploy by MB to divert attention away from the issue?
Wow, this is going from bad to worse for Mercedes... I haven't seen anything posted anywhere that I haven't experienced myself. Any ideas what post it was?

Ooh, it's like watching an American drama, the small guy against the evil heartless corporation, the plot thickens...

Wow, this is going from bad to worse for Mercedes... I haven't seen anything posted anywhere that I haven't experienced myself. Any ideas what post it was?

Ooh, it's like watching an American drama, the small guy against the evil heartless corporation, the plot thickens...

No specific details but it's irrelevant anyway because clearly there is an issue that needs sorting for many owners and there's nothing fraudulent about that. LOL.

No specific details but it's irrelevant anyway because clearly there is an issue that needs sorting for many owners and there's nothing fraudulent about that. LOL.
I suspect that Mercedes aren't acting in the right way. How can a Member of a third party that sells Mercedes cars be aware of the intent of MBUK in a court case, i'm not a lawyer, but it doesn't sound right to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom