Mercedes kompressor c180 coupe 56 plate won't start??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cjay1983

Car
Mercedes Benz C180 Kompressor Sports Edition Coupe'
Hi all, my first plea for help. I'm not a mechanic of any sort so please forgive me. I've had no issues with my car at all except for the fact that my radio is in constant mute mode. Tried about everything to get it out with no luck so I just accepted I'd drive in the realms of being quiet which is hard as I'm in the forces and up and down the country all the time and it's been like that for about 18 months now... No drama!

Anyway, no issues at all, the other day I parked the car removed the fob from the ignition and no interior lights came which was reinforced by the fact it was 1900 and pitch black and I could jack. I then proceeded to put the fob back in to put the electrics back on and .... Nothing! The fob wouldn't even turn! No electrics no lights no nothing! I was at a loss with the fact the key fob wouldn't
Move! I'm at a bit of a loss in general... Must be an electrics issue, Possibly battery related???

Any help would be massively appreciated as I obviously travel a lot and would like to get home at the weekend. Many thanks

Were the external lights (headlights/sidelights) working ok when you parked up?
Do the sidelights work?
Do the hazard lights work?
Do the interior lights work when switched on manually?

Hi, thanks for reply mike. When I was parking everything was working fine. As soon as I turned the car engine off everything went dead. As of now nothing will go on no hazards, side lights or interior lights even when switches on manually. In fact I can't even lock the car. The key fob light led still flashes when I press the key which indicates to me the key fob is ok, but the car does nothing

Thanks again

Chris

First thing is to check the battery terminals and earth strap to the inner wing are all tight. Battery is located passengers side underneath the cabin air filter, next to the bulkhead.
It's the oblong plastic cover in this picture, there are three clips along the back which you need to lift up, then the filter can be removed to access the battery. (Just visible in the picture) (Ignore the yellow ring, I added that for another query). The body earth strap is just to the right of that yellow circle, next to the suspension mounting.

If they are tight, ideally get the battery checked with a voltage multimeter.

Firstly check the battery. Check that the Contacts are secure and corrosion free. Then check the voltage across the terminals.

Then check the fuses in both fuse boxes - the one behind the dash on the side of the steering wheel, and the one in the engine compartment just ahead of the steering wheel.

Thanks both, will have a check in the morning and get a voltmeter on the battery and wi post an update as soon as I've completed both actions.

Thanks for advice and help

Keep you posted

Chris

If its the battery then something must have flattened it. Its possible your alternator isn't charging??? If its connections then obviously check the battery terminals and the earth strap. Check the fuses as suggested but if there no power getting to the main fusebox check if you car has a set of fuseable links on the positive battery lead they could also be a source of a problem.

Chris

Problem removing the radio... if you feel up to the challenge here's how to remove it. Assuming you have the standard original Audio 20 and not an aftermarket one.

Seems strange that it's stuck in mute though. Is it like it in both/all options (radio & CD)?

[YOUTUBE]watch?v=pyDm3S2hnEU[/YOUTUBE]

Problem rectified gents. I had a look at the battery terminals this morning and removed the cover. Cleaned and tightened everything up and was able to start the car. Thanks for
Your help it is greatly appreciated. Hopefully I won't get this problem again.

Cheers

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom