Mercedes launched New diesel engine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mercedes lover

Car
Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI 2003
I noticed the other day that mercedes has launched the C200CDI engine in the c class, I new they had it in france and probably the rest of europe, but woundered why they did't launch it here. In france they do it in the E-class as well but they haven't done it here.
I might be wrong but think it could be because there's more of a call for diesel with the new company car tax. I cant believe how many new mercedes I see that are diesel. There didn't seem to be many diesels at one know they seem to be everywhere

mercedes lover said:
I noticed the other day that mercedes has launched the C200CDI engine in the c class, I new they had it in france and probably the rest of europe, but woundered why they did't launch it here. In france they do it in the E-class as well but they haven't done it here.
I might be wrong but think it could be because there's more of a call for diesel with the new company car tax. I cant believe how many new mercedes I see that are diesel. There didn't seem to be many diesels at one know they seem to be everywhere

When I ordered mine Diesels were at a premium. Two-thirds of all new cars ordered were Diesels. :cool:

As the engine is what you order and dictates the leadtime then the waiting list gets lenghty. :confused:

mercedes lover said:
I think it's also to do with how much better diesel engines and fuel are now. They're no longer the sluggish won't work if it's below 5degreesC motors that they used to be. The price of fuel and emmissions checks also mean people have to look for engines that can do the deal. My hubby loves his Voyager with a MB CRD engine - shifts like nothing on earth - for that kind of vehicle, and gives reasonable mileage - and is much better than the petrol version. Found the same when we compared the petrol V diesel PT Cruiser too:D

The emissions thing is a joke though, because now Diesels are being blamed for global warming again! The carbon-soot put out by diesels has slightly darkened the snow at the ice caps and this means they reflect less of the suns heat radiation back off the earth, the ice at the poles soaks more heat up than ever.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3333493.stm

"They believe soot is twice as potent as carbon dioxide, a main greenhouse gas, in raising surface air temperatures."

"Its concentrations vary in time and place, but they are often high over China and India, where coal and organic fuels are used domestically, and over Europe and North America, where the main source is diesel oil."

See? Diesel is evil after all! :rolleyes:

I would happily use Bio Diesel if it was readily available, I would be willing to pay more in order to show support for my farmer friends (I used to be a farmer!)

The only way I can get it is to buy a nminimum 1000 Litres at a time, I have the storage facilities, I just dont like the idea of paying out that much in one hit.

I agree the emissions thing is stupid because the government basically said diesel polute so made the road tax more for diesels than similar petrol, then they make the company emmisions tax the other way round, maybe there trying to tell us they want to polute us to death, only kidding. ( i'm not anti diesel, i drive diesel van at work)
But in all honesty could we expect this government to do something any less stupid they mess everything up that they do.
Diesel have come along way but i'm not sure if I would buy one or not next car!

Did anyone see top gear where they showed that you can run a diesel on sun flower oil mixed with white spirit or something like that cant remember what it was, but you could fuel your car cheaper with super markets own brand oil. But its illegal if you dont pay the duty.
Has anyone tried it? ;)

loads of people are running there cars on veggie oil. Most older 123 diesels run perfectly. Theyre mad about it on the 123 forum! I swear if the police traced some of these people theyd be in real trouble.

Jay

one funny thing I saw on one programme about it was that they said builders were getting the old oil from the fish and chips shop, filtering it and running their vans on it. So they said the police were cracking down on it, stopping vans that smelt of fish and chips. They were serious as well.

Stupid question I guess, but why is it illegal? Are the emissions seriously bad?

It Tax Free!

UKEvo said:
Stupid question I guess, but why is it illegal? Are the emissions seriously bad?

You don't pay duty on cooking oil, so its rather cheap! and all road fuel is taxed.

When I was a lad and my family had a farm we used to pour red diesel through kitty litter to remove the dye! Also very naughty.

I wonder if you get more BHP if you use Extra Virgin Olive oil instead of Sunflower Oil ;-p

Andy

Last edited:
It begs the question when MB is going to bring out their first petrol/electric hybrid. They are 6 years behind Toyota in the technology that minimises carbon dioxide and doesn't create soot.

I get 60 mpg around town with my Prius (also green like my W124) but it doesn't run on cooking oil !

At least two years ago there was a programme on BBC 1 about veggie oil in cars. One thought from the farmers was that they could produce rape seed in the feilds that they were being susidised by the EC to use as fuel in cars. There are no bad side effects from running this type or any other type of oil.
I think it was John Prescott who said in the same programme, that in July of last year Bio deisel would be readily available and the tax would be reduced ( they were talking around 40p/ltr) . I have only ever seen one garage that sold it and that was in Ellistown, Leicestershire.

The problem of people buying ordinary oil from the supermarket became that bad in South Wales that stores would only sell about 2 litres in any one purchase. Some car owners were buying 40 or 50 litres in one go.
My mate from Neath was telling me also a friend of his who had a diesel but used cooking oil was taking a contractor to look at a job, it was in a remote area, when they got out of the car the contractor said his men must be nearby because he could smell chips cooking.

I did look in the owners manual of my C220 CDI (silver) it does say that you should not attemp to run it on biodeisel without expensive modifications that can only be carried bu MB trained technicains, or words to that effect.

Dave

The older Turbo Diesels run very well on a mix of 50% diesel - 50% vegetable oil. ;)

Performance is better, economy is better and they run quieter. There is a noticable smell but not of fish and chips, probably would if you used old, used vegetable oil. I noticed a horrible, acidic smell that was quite nasty.

Makro used to sell it in big 25L drums for 18p/L so there were big savings to be made. More environmentally friendly too, rapeseed oil when burnt releases the same amount of CO2 as the plant uses when growing. :)

Since my 'friend' had his car chipped he no longer uses it. ;)

What is it you mix with the vegatable oil to run on only vergatable oil plus mix is it white spirit? I wouldn't put used vegatable oil through my van so i'm almost certain no one here would put it through there mercedes. That is seriously funny that in south wales they wouldn't sell more than 2 litres!

mercedes lover said:

More importantly why don't we get the E400Cdi!

I don't think its just the emmisions thing that has led to the increase in diesels, they often drive much better. I've driven a E240 petrol which is a similar price to mine and it felt very sluggish. I'm sure Bryan's performs much better than the E320 petrol too. The better fuel ecconomy is just an added bonus. :bannana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom