Mercedes M157 5.5TT AMG - Oil Pump failure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mbzclk

Car
An AMG
Hi guys,

I’ve just seen the on Facebook, is there preventative measures that should be taken on the M157?

Given the failure that E55BOF suffered too surely there must be things to proactively replace under a particular age / mileage.

You’ll see the thread on the AMG UK Facebook page or screenshot below.

1163562E-4DB7-45BD-8E8F-44A72AD3044C.jpeg

^ I agree. Oil pumps should not fail, and MB should be fitting a pressure gauge in all cars IMO.

I know the failure numbers are small. But on that group alone there are 3 at least that have suffered the failure; furthermore we know about the fate of one on here that needed 11.5k of repairs (different issue I know)

but surely fitting a replacement engine won’t prevent this from failing again, so what’s the preventative.

It must be better to carry out some preemptive part replacement (I understand loads of parts could be at play) rather than a repair or replacement engine.

I wonder how much an oil pump costs?

Had one go on my work van ford Transit. Was a known issue on certain year frame I was unaware. This exact time last year. Cost near on 5k to have my van back on the road. Loss of work for that period. Dread to think what the cost would be on an AMG. Poxy oil pump £80.00 the uprated pump would have cost. :wallbash:

Had one go on my work van ford Transit. Was a known issue on certain year frame I was unaware. This exact time last year. Cost near on 5k to have my van back on the road. Loss of work for that period. Dread to think what the cost would be on an AMG. Poxy oil pump £80.00 the uprated pump would have cost. :wallbash:

is there preventative measures that should be taken on the M157?
That would depend upon what the failure mode for the oil pump was. Did the pump drive fail, the housing fail, bearings collapse, pressure relief valve stuck open? Does anyone know?

Not a clue personally. But I think at about a grand all in to replace the pump and save possible catastrophic failure it’s well worth it.

One would expect that a High performance engine would have an equally high performance uprated and Reliable oil pump assembly fitted to it, if not why not?

Let's keep this thread alive.
Are M157 owners having that little doubt in there minds now? :eek:

I have and i drive a m113k which is why i tested the Oil pressure myself ;) Its daft that they dont fit a Oil pressure gauge in these cars

None at all Tom. Engine failures happen on many other platforms, even the "bulletproof" M113 isn't infallable
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

.......... and I'm saying nothing more on the M156 known issues, of which there are plenty of Youtube videos too
It seems the M157 failures I've read about were mainly were on cars with a substantial increase in power applied, some on engines with higher mileages. One of those on Facebook had obviously had a very poor tune.
Oil pump failures should be unacceptable on any platform but as s13tphil mentioned, it would be good to know why, and which particular part failed to destroy an engine.

None at all Tom. Engine failures happen on many other platforms, even the "bulletproof" M113 isn't infallable

.......... and I'm saying nothing more on the M156 known issues, of which there are plenty of Youtube videos too
It seems the M157 failures I've read about were mainly were on cars with a substantial increase in power applied, some on engines with higher mileages. One of those on Facebook had obviously had a very poor tune.
Oil pump failures should be unacceptable on any platform but as s13tphil mentioned, it would be good to know why, and which particular part failed to destroy an engine.

Ifs buts and maybes!

The facts are, there are issues coming to light with the 157.

The facts are, there are issues coming to light with the 157.

For once, I agree with you :eek:. It happens to every model of engine as they age, the miles rack up, and in the case of AMGs, as more owners muck about with them.

For once, I agree with you :eek:. It happens to every model of engine as they age, the miles rack up, and in the case of AMGs, as more owners muck about with them.

I'm celebrating tonight E55BOF has agreed with me. I'm getting a Moretti out the fridge lol :D:D:rock::thumb:

Nobody denies there aren't issues with the M157 Tom.
Wouldn't surprise me if issues with the M177 don't come to light in a few years.

Its difficult to think of a modern Mercedes AMG engine that hasn't had some kind of issue down the line.

Nobody denies there aren't issues with the M157 Tom.
Wouldn't surprise me if issues with the M177 don't come to light in a few years.

Its difficult to think of a modern Mercedes AMG engine that hasn't had some kind of issue down the line.
The N/A M113 seemed the best but I’ve seen several online references to bore scoring issues.

The N/A M113 seemed the best but I’ve seen several online references to bore scoring issues.

Yes. One member Grovsie had to get rid of his C55 as it was literally drinking oil and another I have read about recently is using too much oil. But I agree the 113 has had less reported problems compared to other engines.

I'm celebrating tonight E55BOF has agreed with me. I'm getting a Moretti out the fridge lol :D:D:rock::thumb:

I do love a chilled bottle of Moretti - 600ml mind!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom