Mercedes Me Adapter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beardz

Car
Merc E220 (S212) CDi SE Exec Estate & Merc CLK320 Cabrio A209
Morning all,

Sorry if this has cropped up in threads before, but I have this morning received an email from Mercedes offering me a Mercedes Me Adapter. At no point does it mention what the cost will be, but I find myself intrigued with whether it will be of any benefit to me to have one fitted.

I would appreciate it if anyone could let me know if they have had it retro fitted, what the costs are likely to be and there experiences with it before I contact my Merc Dealer and get the hard press to have it done.

Many thanks

It's a nice gimmick (mine came with it as standard) but I wouldn't pay for it.

The comprehensive answer is that it is a totally and utterly useless gimick that no real Mercedes Benz enthusiast can go without ;)

I paid £35 online from MB's website for mine, and activated it with the Mercedes Me helpdesk over the phone.

My understanding is that some dealers offer it for anything from free to £12 if you book a service (or sometimes even if you just visit the dealership in person, presumably in the hope that they can get you to book a service or sell you a service care plan).

This basically, though more up to date ones may have other bits and bobs. You can also look up destinations on it and ping the address to Comand so you don't have to do it in the vehicle.

On the last trips gizmo, it'll also tell you your average speed, MPG and mileage.

upload_2018-3-14_11-59-45.png

Last edited:
In the latest version of the App "You can have your driving style analysed with the Driver Score. Your braking and acceleration behaviour is evaluated to provide you with a clear assessment - for improved ride comfort, safety and lower costs." Their words.

Interesting!

Ha! I've just moved the car over on the drive, as my daughter is coming with her toddler and its handy for her to be nearer the front door.

The App scored my driving skills at 74% ! Where did I lose 26%? I didn't get above 2mph and didn't brake hard. I think its a hard task master!

I've had a look for this, but I can't find it. Which section is it under? Android or Apple etc?

Its in the Google Play store for Android. Not sure about Apple.

This basically, though more up to date ones may have other bits and bobs. You can also look up destinations on it and ping the address to Comand so you don't have to do it in the vehicle.

On the last trips gizmo, it'll also tell you your average speed, MPG and mileage.

View attachment 75352

Your app looks like the 'Mercedes me' app:

Mercedes me on the App Store
Mercedes me – Android Apps on Google Play

And not the 'Mercedes me Adapter' app:

Mercedes me Adapter on the App Store
Mercedes me Adapter – Android Apps on Google Play

The difference is that the 'Mercedes me' app communicates with the car using a GSM KOM module (i.e. Vodafone simcard built-in to the car, fitted from around July 2013 onwards to new cars with the COMAND Online option), while the 'Mercedes me Adapter' app is for cars that do not have the KOM module (e.g. older models, or those not fitted with the COMAND Online option), but can be fitted with an adapter that plugs into the OBDII port allowing the car to communicate with your mobile phone via Bluetooth.

For this reason, the 'Mercedes me Adapter' app, apart from having very limited services and options compared to the 'Mercedes me' app, can only communicate with the car when your mobile phone is inside or near the vehicle, thus no prospect of remote access to the vehicle while you are away from it.

And you can not send destinations to the car's SatNav with the 'Mercedes me Adapter' app (you can still send destinations to the car from a PC using HERE WeGo, if the car is equipped with COMAND Online, but this has nothing to do with the Mercedes me Adapter or app).

Its in the Google Play store for Android. Not sure about Apple.

Sorry - I wasn't clear. I've got the Mercedes Me Android app on my phone, but I can't find Driver Score anywhere. Which section of the app is it in?

Its in Settings, My Trips, Show Driver Score. I think this version only came out yesterday.

Sorry - I wasn't clear. I've got the Mercedes Me Android app on my phone, but I can't find Driver Score anywhere. Which section of the app is it in?

Its in Settings, My Trips, Show Driver Score. I think this version only came out yesterday.

Make sure you have the latest app v2.8.50:
Mercedes me Adapter – Android Apps on Google Play
Mercedes me Adapter on the App Store

From the menu button at the top right-hand corner of the screen, choose 'Settings'.

In the second section under 'Vehicle', the last option is 'Cockpit. Choose that.

Carry-out the 'Check availability now' check - this needs to be in the car with the ignition on.

Click on one of the positions ('Position 1' to 'Position 6') and choose 'Driver Score'.

u2IYfwDvc4sitdfpL4mXWGGmbYiDr0ANGkexk0DQiAUnjvPePYCUkuZlMqLl_EEE9so

Thanks. I've got Version 2.9.0 - and I still can't find it!

Last edited:
Thanks. I've got Version 2.9.0 - and I still can't find it!

Version 2.9.0 is the 'Mercedes me' app.... not the 'Mercedes me Adapter' app... see my post above

When I bought my latest I was told by the dealer that I could use the Mercedes Me app straight away. Well I couldn’t, as I needed the adapter, which they fitted foc to my 214(?). It took more phone calls and visits for them to figure out I needed to pair it with the phone. Fast forward a few weeks and I figured out it was a waste of time, and deleted the app from my Android phone. It would only tell me how long my car had been parked up, great help that was. Perhaps later versions are better, but life is too short to faff about with ineffective stuff.

Mercedes retro-fitted a Me adapter free of charge a few months ago to my 2014 c63 after I discovered I couldn't update my live traffic update (very useful IMO) after the manufacturers warranty expired

Being cynical and highly suspicious of anything that anyone in sales offers to give you for 'free' - I suspected they were doing the old gillette razor/playstation model where you get the initial bit at a low price (in this case 'free') and the manufacturer makes money in the long run from the overpriced 'fillers' - in my case the money-for-old-rope annual subscription charges.

Well that was that, until I stumbled upon this article : How connected car tech is eroding personal privacy

I work in tech and think I'm fairly savvy when it comes to giving away my data - so now I suspect there is way more to the module than I first thought.

I might be being a bit paranoid, but when you own an AMG you don't tend to willingly elect to install a telemetrics module. Also who knows whatever other information might be being transmitted and stored indefinitely to unknown servers/agencies around the world to be sold on or used for nefarious data collectors without your knowledge.

As has been said its a gimmick at the best of times so I'm going to (try) to remove it the next time my car goes back to the dealer.

Mercedes gives the adapter free and gets a lot of car data for free. They are able to collect a lot of info, that otherwise would be unknown to manufacturer. You only see what's available in the app interface, but you don't know what's collected in the background. You can remove adapter at any time.

When you decide to get a brand new car, you will discover, that you are monitored at all times. Cars have EDR systems and hidden sim cards.

And two weeks ago we had: Deactivating Mercedes Me?

Last edited:
This is correct, the Mercedes me Adapter allows MB to collect data, the details of which can be found in the Privacy Policy link im the app.

But you are getting ahead of yourselves.... for MB, collecting data from your car is only the icing on the cake.

The main benefit to MB is that in order to use Mercedes me services you need to register online....... so they give you a free adapter, but even if you unplug it, they already have your personal details and VIN number.

For any manufacturer, the holy grail is to have the names, addresses, contact details, and personal preferences of each and every consumer who use their products.

Did anyone mention Facebook.....?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom