Mercedes Me app 2020 - loss of functionality from previous app

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Monzie83

Car
C250 d
Hello all,

It’s my first post so please be gentle!

I have a 2016 C250 d.

I have recently downloaded the new Mercedes Me app 2020 on my iPhone. Upon logging in I can see my car details and all of the functionality found in the old app apart from trip information; “from start”/“from reset”.

In the old Mercedes Me app (which worked perfectly for me), I could see trip information “from start” such as distance, duration, consumption and average speed. In the new app I am limited to consumption only.

I have contacted the support team, who escalated it to their tech team. The response I received back is the vehicle module is only capable of sending the consumption information. Obviously, I have responded back with “it was working on the old app so I’m not buying that”. I am awaiting a response.

Has anyone else had this issue? If so, what did it take to get this sorted?

Any help and/or advice is greatly appreciated.

Mine doesn’t have average speed, but seems to have the others.
4ABCA55D-DCE6-45DA-93C7-14DB3EEF53BF.png4ABCA55D-DCE6-45DA-93C7-14DB3EEF53BF.png

Hi, it’s a 2017 slc :thumb: :thumb:

Thank you Ted. In the old app (if you had it), were you able to see more information in these screen when compared to the new app?

Does anyone else with a 2016 C-Class have this issue? Will be interested to hear your experiences.

Thank you

Hi, it’s a 2017 slc :thumb: :thumb:

Hi Monzie83

I have a 2016 C250d and I get all the info that Ted shows in his post.The problem
I have is I when I send destinations from the app to the car they do not pop up on the COMAND screen (NTG5*2) when I turn on the car. I have to go into COMAND and load up the very slow Mercedes app then download the destination. I contacted MB support and after 3 weeks got a reply saying have I turned on GPS in the car. Very odd as the sat nav worked fine. Gave up on help from the support team and reloaded the old Mercedes Me app and use that for destinations. lol up destination click send to car and it pops up on screen before I have pulled away.
the 2020 app adds little and takes away a lot for our age of car, this may not be true if you have a newer model.
As an aside the latest map update for NTG5*2 COMAND came out 9th November 2018 yet my £100 Tom Tom I take on holiday has twice yearly updates for life at no extra cost. After year 3 of our “free updates” it costs more than a decent portable sat nav. Rant over.

Thank you Farmer Boy,

I honestly just feel they rushed the new app and overlooked some functionality - hopefully it will be forthcoming in a future release.

Regarding your issue of sending directions to your car, it’s not something I use so cannot comment. If you would like me to, I can try to see if this works for me on the new app.

Interestingly, I re-downloaded the old app today and I now have the same issue on both apps. I am 100% certain I did not have these issues before on the old app, as I would review this information after a long trip.

I am due a service soon so will bring this up with the dealer as well, if I can’t get any further with support. I am still awaiting a reply...

Hi Monzie83

I have a 2016 C250d and I get all the info that Ted shows in his post.The problem
I have is I when I send destinations from the app to the car they do not pop up on the COMAND screen (NTG5*2) when I turn on the car. I have to go into COMAND and load up the very slow Mercedes app then download the destination. I contacted MB support and after 3 weeks got a reply saying have I turned on GPS in the car. Very odd as the sat nav worked fine. Gave up on help from the support team and reloaded the old Mercedes Me app and use that for destinations. lol up destination click send to car and it pops up on screen before I have pulled away.
the 2020 app adds little and takes away a lot for our age of car, this may not be true if you have a newer model.
As an aside the latest map update for NTG5*2 COMAND came out 9th November 2018 yet my £100 Tom Tom I take on holiday has twice yearly updates for life at no extra cost. After year 3 of our “free updates” it costs more than a decent portable sat nav. Rant over.

Hi @Monzie83 - I still have the old app, and it still gives the trip information.
As Farmer Boy says, I haven’t been able to send a destination to the head unit (audio 20 btw) from the new app, but it was sketchy with the old app - I’ve always thought it was because mobile coverage is poor to non existent where I am.
Not that I used it directly from the app, but indirectly using Google maps.AAD2A9DA-5084-4D94-B214-4F78BA9708E2.png
13333630-6C39-4A27-9E9F-8DEFC9B9992F.pngAAD2A9DA-5084-4D94-B214-4F78BA9708E2.png

The NTG5*2 map update V14 for 2020 was released last Wednesday (17/06/20). It is possible to purchase the map data on a USB ( data is 41.29GB so a long download) plus the unlock code on line. The unlock code is specific to the map version and is linked to the cars VIN and can only be used with one vehicle.

Merc have had my GLC for 4 days over the last 2 weeks, trying to install the latest map version, mine is the V11 version currently, it gets to certain points, in the upgrade, highest was 50% apparently and then hangs. seems to be related to the type of USB the dealer is using and now they say there is a STAR issue. I'm getting very frustrated with how this 3 year free updates is supposed to ever work!

I/we have had a 2016 C250d (S205) since 2017. It has COMAND NTG 5*2 with v13 maps. Mercedes Me originally worked well.

We are now using Mercedes Me 2020 and get the same Trip Computer information as posted above by @Ted. I tried get the older version of Merceds Me this morning, but it's no longer on the App Store.

Recently however, I have noticed that while my wife does get notifications from the system on her phone, I now do not even though I did in the past. 'Your vehicle is unlocked' is perhaps the most useful feature of Mercedes Me. Both of us use iPhone Xr. Phone, Mercedes Me app and general notification settings are the same on both.

This morning, the missus got a notification of a 'Successful' update, indicating that some services had now been discontinued... WTF? It didn't say which services we have lost. The notification has now evaporated from her history.

I did have a play with the system last week when it was pointed out that the onboard web browser had been disabled, which I found to indeed be the case on ours.

So this morning, we both tried to send a trip destination to the car from our phones whilst sat in the house. The app reported that the data had been sent to the car. Didn't work.

Sitting in the car with my phone paired, I can successfully send a trip destination to the system, which is bl00dy marvellous isn't it! So much easier to muck about with a clunky app on my phone prior to driving off than it is to use the inbuilt Sat Nav functions.... :( Anyway I suspect the data is transferring via Bluetooth. Need to switch off Bluetooth on the phone and try again to check again if it can be transferred via the internet.

We can both see vehicle status in Mercedes Me and remotely lock and unlock the car. Only the missus gets a notification when the car is unlocked.

I am somewhat peeved that MB are arbitrarily disabling functionality in our car. This may well be within their rights under the T&Cs, but this functionality was part and parcel of the original offering when we purchased the car. In this case it's more of an annoyance than a problem, but it is annoying.

Last edited:
@GeeJayW, don’t forget you don’t need to send your destination directly from the app.
you can use google maps and send it indirectly from there.

Attachments

• 3134E45B-983B-4734-8C8F-E12805514FEA.jpeg
    3134E45B-983B-4734-8C8F-E12805514FEA.jpeg
    184.8 KB · Views: 5
@GeeJayW, don’t forget you don’t need to send your destination directly from the app.
you can use google maps and send it indirectly from there.
Thanks.

Just tried that and it doesn't work via the internet. I think MB have disabled user interaction via the web. So at least for a vintage car such as ours, it's now only COMAND Online for MB and not us the owners of the car! I am somewhat less than impressed. Presumably, new(er) models fair better, for now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ted
I’ve noticed that the trip history has disappeared, I can only see the most recent trip. I could have sworn that the history was in there before - I may be mistaken though.

Thanks.

Just tried that and it doesn't work via the internet. I think MB have disabled user interaction via the web. So at least for a vintage car such as ours, it's now only COMAND Online for MB and not us the owners of the car! I am somewhat less than impressed. Presumably, new(er) models fair better, for now.
I think you’re right, I think they’ve disabled user web services. Maybe to disable or downgrade the data requirements on the SIM.

We are now using Mercedes Me 2020 and get the same Trip Computer information as posted above by @Ted. I tried get the older version of Merceds Me this morning, but it's no longer on the App Store.
I didn’t uninstall the old app, but it has been disabled - when you open the app there’s a splash screen asking that you download and install the new app.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom