Mercedes Me - Remote heating UK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Car
Mercedes
Hi,

What is the reason you can’t use the remote climate control and pre heating Mercedes me functionality in the UK?

It’s such a great feature - wasted because I won’t be able to use it!

Before I email MB and ask, thought someone on here could provide an intelligent andwer

Does it turn the engine on? If so, probably that. Don't think remote start is legal.

Does it turn the engine on? If so, probably that. Don't think remote start is legal.

I aren’t sure actually. That could be the reason! I’ve never seen it action. Hmm, I’ll youtube It.

Out of interest, why isn’t remote start legal in the UK?

How can it not be legal in the UK? My friend showed me it in his Jag a few weeks back

Don't see how it would get heat without the engine on?

A quick google should give you the relevant legislation.

Yeah, I’m with you on the heat. dumb from me intially.

I’ve just been googling the legislation. Seems rather grey in areas to be honest. It appears to be that it’s not legal due the security implications of having your car running.. however they wouldn’t be able to get into the car because it’s locked. Smashing a window wouldn’t be able to help as they don’t have the key/fob..

It’s does appear that Land Rover and Jaguar are doing this too.. as the chap said above so it is strange.

Interesting. Not really a huge issue. Nice to have feature though

Remote start is an option on my car (E Class 2019) I have used it and can park my car using my phone from outside the car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remote start is an option on my car (E Class 2019) I have used it and can park my car using my phone from outside the car

Whaaat? This is even more bizarre. Why can’t I do this with the new A Class then? The remote park bit might be an E class thing but surely remote start and heating shouldn’t be a limitation if the E class can

Hi,

What is the reason you can’t use the remote climate control and pre heating Mercedes me functionality in the UK?

It’s such a great feature - wasted because I won’t be able to use it!

Before I email MB and ask, thought someone on here could provide an intelligent andwer
The functionality in Mercedes Me for pre heat & climate is for plug-in’s only. The car doesn’t need to start - the pre heat / climate comes from the battery. It can be set remotely by giving it a departure time or just turned on using the app

If the Land Rover one is still the same as our discovery 4, the engine doesn’t start, there is a separate fuel burning heater under the bonnet that does it.

It’s very useful

Ah. This makes more sense. More a physical limitation with the A class rather than law. Oh well.

Like you I have it - we are lucky as it is now not available on any model. I wonder if when it comes to renew in the future it may no longer be a available. No doubt some H&S zealot or lawyer has created this

I did ask this question here a few years ago.

Remote park via fob is fine because it only works if you are near the car and therefore it satisfies the legal requirement of being 'in control' of the motor vehicle (even though you are not actually sitting in the driver's seat).

Apparently remote start is illegal in the UK because you could be far away from the car when starting the engine, and this does not satisfy the legal requirement of being 'in control' of the motor vehicle.

As other said, the issue is specifically remote start, and remote heating as such, because the car could have ways of heating the cabin without actually starting the engine (e.g. battery power on hybrids etc).

1) That’s probably still not legal, and 2) Good luck with any insurance claim where the vehicle has been taken whilst unoccupied and left running :)

Electric cars only?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom