Mercedes Me - Remote heating UK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The VW 411 had a timed preheater nearly 50 years ago.
Mind you, that was a scary system to work on.

Scandinavian cars have had them for a while AFAIK.

Scandinavian cars have had them for a while AFAIK.

In Sweden ive seen an electrical socket on the front bumper of many cars, connected to a block heater, it looks after market

In Sweden they also leave their kids in cars with the engines running whilst they pop into shops, it’s different there!

Pre-entry climate control is very much a common feature on EVs (and hybrids) but the remote engine start thing is something we don't see here is it. Common enough on US vehicles.

Block heaters are a pretty common option elsewhere in the world too. I’ve fitted aftermarket ones to my ICE vehicles before now, even in the generally mild UK climate as so much of my driving is short trips, and having warm coolant to start with really helps economy in that situation. My Jeep has an option of a factory fit block heater for example.

Private land then?
Possibly, but then keep in mind that it's not the case that not all laws stop to exist on private land. So you'll need to check if this particular law is valid on private land or not.

Then, for a road on private land to be exempt from traffic laws, it needs to have a physical barrier blocking public access.

Otherwise it is considered private land with public access, and all traffic laws still apply (e.g. superstores' car parks).

1) That’s probably still not legal, and 2) Good luck with any insurance claim where the vehicle has been taken whilst unoccupied and left running :)
^^^^^^^
This

On my last BMW you could set the fans to come on via the app, the engine wouldn't start so it wouldn't heat or cool the car, just essentially move the air around. Not particularly useful but it was better than nothing.

In Sweden ive seen an electrical socket on the front bumper of many cars, connected to a block heater, it looks after market

In Sweden they also leave their kids in cars with the engines running whilst they pop into shops, it’s different there!

We used to leave them idling all night in Kazakstan :)

i have just had an E350 Coupe with AMG premium plus package and it has no remote start, before this car i had a Jaguar xf which had remote start which i used all the time in the winter, i e mailed Mercedes Benz and they replied with the below-

Ref: CMS 1-24355565098
Your contact person: Ondrej Kundrat

Dear Mr Masters,

Thank you for contacting Mercedes me connect

Unfortunately, I can confirm that the service Remote Engine Start is not available for your vehicle.

The Remote Engine Start is not available for whole Europe.

I am sorry for any inconvenience cause by this situation.

In case you have any further questions about this request, please do not hesitate to contact us with reference to CMS 1-24355565098.

Kind Regards,
Ondrej Kundrat
Mercedes me connect Support

Having had a Jag, the info system wipes the floor with the Mercedes, but the drive is far superior with the Merc .... ce la vie

What about the remote auxiliary heating. Is this legal to turn on when on driveway while not in the vehicle?

It's quite easy to tell the difference with JLR models and I am sure others.
The pre climate control is done via the app, it sounds like the engine is running but it's not. When you open the car, fob present, the engine comes to life when you depress the accelarator pedal. It's very noticeable the difference in the engine sound and only then does the dashboard start operating.

I have sent my Discovery Sport back due poor quality issues and have a GLLE 350 DE arriving on 1/9/21 so I am hoping the system works in a similar way :)>)

I don't know why MB restrict this to Electric or Phev only as the Discovery Sport (20 MY) has this and it was a diesel. If I was an MB diesel only owner I think I would be annoyed at the limitation.

With standard modern JLR cars you can pre heat or cool the car with the app.
It DOES start the engine to do this.

There is also an optional Webasto diesel unit available and if present then that is used to pre heat the car.
That has been been around for many years and used to be standard at one time.

Same with Volvos. Remote engine start works fine in the UK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom