Mercedes Me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mpc

Car
2018 S205 C250 AMG LINE PREMIUM D AUTO
Does the Mercedes Me app work with older Mercedes cars? I have a 2011 CD250 W204?

You need the mercedes me adapter app along with the plug in adapter

You need the mercedes me adapter app along with the plug in adapter

As above.

Note that there are two different types of app: The newer cars use the 'Mercedes me 2020' app, while older cars use the 'Mercedes me Adapter' app (which requires the Mercedes me Adapter OBDII dongle).

Your 2011 car will need the 'Mercedes me Adapter' app and the Mercedes me Adapter OBDII dongle.

I found it more nuisance than useful. Every time I’m walking past the garage my phone asking if I want to connect to adaptor. Every time I’m using the car my phone is asking if I want to start cockpit. Frequently having to re-pair/sync the adaptor with phone every time Mercedes me change “terms & conditions” or the obd port is used on a service. Additional and unnecessary battery drain if car not driven for a while can leave you with flat battery. Also found my phone battery drained much faster with the app installed. Additionally the obd port cover that is hinged and hangs down when the adaptor is plugged in would often rub on my leg causing distraction when driving. Needless to say the Mercedes Me adaptor is now gathering dust on a shelf.
Unable to give any positives for Mercedes Me adaptor, it’s just a gimmick as far as I can tell.
This is just my opinion, I’m sure others will find it the best thing since sliced bread

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been using the Mercedes me Adapter for over 3 years now, it permanently lives inside the dash and connects to the OBDII port via a spliter cable.

It gave me no grief whatsoever and it works every time. It connects seamlessly to my phone when I enter the car.

That said, ultimately it's a bit gimmicky. I find it useful that it logs all my journeys and all my refuelling stops, and I do like the cockpit display with the coolant temp and oil temp virtual gauges. But then when I drive my other car (Suzuki) that has no such thing, I never felt I was missing something like that...

I actually bought mine for £35 back in 2017, but my understanding is that MB are now giving them away for free?

thanks for the input, it sounds like its a bit gimmicky then? I wasn't sure what it did and was just curious.

Yes, as I said, gimmicky, but I hear they give it out for free now... and I do find it useful. Well, to some extent, anyway. So you've got nothing to lose.....

.......I find it useful that it logs all my journeys and all my refuelling stops
.......my understanding is that MB are now giving them away for free?

I didn’t find the logging of journeys on my phone useful but felt my privacy was more important as information is synced with your online account and I do not particularly like the notion of being tracked by systems that are not under my complete control.

Yes, I had the adaptor free so nothing lost except some wasted time determining the usefulness or otherwise of the adaptor.

I didn’t find the logging of journeys on my phone useful but felt my privacy was more important as information is synced with your online account and I do not particularly like the notion of being tracked by systems that are not under my complete control.

Yes, I had the adaptor free so nothing lost except some wasted time determining the usefulness or otherwise of the adaptor.

The information collected from the car stays on your phone and it is not synchronised with your online account. Your online account contains only the data that you entered into it on the web.

That said, in order to use the Mercedes me Adapter, you need to create an online account with Mercedes me and enter data about yourself. And I can see why some people might not like this.

Plus, some will obviously not trust MB and won't believe that they are not collecting personal data beyond what they say they do.

So ultimately it's down to choise. Personally, I have no issue with having the device in my car.

I could not get the Mercedes Me app to tell me anything about my car but when I spoke to their support team, it is working correctly. Apparently my car has the 'standard Mercedes Me' fitted which means no information is shared with the app.
Utterly useless

The only thing I found it useful for was seeing where I parked. But then I bought a GPS tracker and it's much better, so I disconnected the OBD thing.

It doesn't have 3G / 4G and/or GPS connectivity so it's really pretty useless. The person in the MB Dealer that convinced me to install it mistakenly thought that it could track the car (like in newer cars that have it built in). Newer cars allow you to see if the doors are locked, load data in the 'maps' for journeys, and things like that.

I could not get the Mercedes Me app to tell me anything about my car but when I spoke to their support team, it is working correctly. Apparently my car has the 'standard Mercedes Me' fitted which means no information is shared with the app.
Utterly useless

what were you expecting it to tell you?

I assume you are referring to the full fat Mercedes Me, not the Mercedes Me Adaptor for earlier cars?

I had seen a couple of videos that suggested I should get information about economy and other vehicle info on the app on my device. I know there are add-ons that you can buy such as go-fencing but I would expect there to be some base functionality. Why do I have to go through all the theatrics of 'activating' all the different features when literally nothing changes on the app?

Yes, the full fat Mercedes Me 2020 app with a 2017MY car

I can get a real time dashboard of temps, miles / hours driven as well as stuff like fuel / range left (which is not ad useless as it sounds given I use my car only every few weeks) on my adaptor version

it did take a while for my account to register and activate though

maybe stick with it a while longer

Reactions: hgb
I used the ME to see if the dealership were actually working on my car. I put a ringfence around the car at its location at the dealership using the ME app and set it to notify me if the car leaves the ringfence. The car sat in one spot for two days until it eventually moved so I knew what had been happening before I was fed crap.

I used the ME to see if the dealership were actually working on my car. I put a ringfence around the car at its location at the dealership using the ME app and set it to notify me if the car leaves the ringfence. The car sat in one spot for two days until it eventually moved so I knew what had been happening before I was fed crap.
Lol

I'd echo the comments of those with an adaptor set up, I've found nothing of value with it, and the obd cover dangling open is annoying.

The dangling cover is easily removed (and without breaking anything).

I had seen a couple of videos that suggested I should get information about economy and other vehicle info on the app on my device. I know there are add-ons that you can buy such as go-fencing but I would expect there to be some base functionality. Why do I have to go through all the theatrics of 'activating' all the different features when literally nothing changes on the app?

If I understand correctly, then the issue isn't that there are no features available, instead the issue is that there are no free features available? I.e. that unless you pay to activate the various Mercedes me services available for your car, the app is useless? While you were expecting that at least some of the features will be free?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom