Mercedes Me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mercedes Me updates have so far required you to opt out if you don’t give consent, ie doing nothing results in continuation of service.

However today I have received an email notifying of an update whereby the reverse is true, services are terminated if you don’t consent.

This got my attention as it’s the opposite of what’s gone before so could be phishy, but generally looks legitimate, quotes my full name, etc.

Anyone else received it?
I got it, and noticed the difference in wording as well. My wife received it as well for her car.

Ah an IT veteran of 28 years here too, sometimes I wonder where I went wrong in life :D (although I shouldn't complain as it's afforded me a pretty good living thus far!).
32 years here and still going, but I do mostly still enjoy the implementations :D
And it pay the bills, plus a few nice holidays each year too

Last year I paid for 12 month term.
Remote Package (inc Geofencing, Tracker, Remote Locking, Parked Location) cost £37.95
Navigation Package (Live Traffic) cost £65.45
So, I paid one off charge £103.40 incl vat in total.

Today they have advised that they have dropped the two packages above and I have to renew with the ‘Excellence Package’ (exactly the same 5 functions) at a cost to me of £251.10 incl vat.

Seems extortionate to me (and that’s a mild comment).

Hi , yet another message from Mercedes me regarding more alterations to the ME contract.

Followed instructions by App informed me that car was all ready registered.

Will have to phone Holland tomorrow and enquire how to sort the problem out.

2016 C220 Estate "Vehicle Remote Control Deactivated"
Reply from MercMe

"Unfortunately, I can confirm that the main reason why the Mercedes me connect services for your vehicle can no longer be purchased or be extended is the shutdown of 2G and 3G networks in various countries, certain Mercedes me services can no longer be offered for technical and quality reasons.

Without 3G mobile network coverage, the communication module loses the ability to send data such as remote commands or any other vehicle-related data to our backend.

We regret that in the future we will no longer be able to provide Mercedes me connect services to you and your vehicle, but unfortunately we cannot influence the availability of different generations of mobile networks and/or their changes in specific markets."

Real shame as it was a useful feature. The app still responds as to whether the vehicle is locked or not.

Reply from MercMe: "...unfortunately we cannot influence the availability of different generations of mobile networks"

Eh..eh... that's not really the point, though.

The real issue here is that MB have been fitting old tech to their cars for years now, at least when it comes to the infotainment system.

The first MB 'connected cars' were introduced in mid-2013, that's a good 4 years after the start of the 4G LTE rollout in Europe, and yet these cars were equipped with a 3G modem - 3G was first introduced 10 years earlier, in 2003. MB only started equipping their cars with 4G modems in 2017, i.e. when the tech was already nearly a decade old.

Last I checked, MB were still offering new cars with 4G modems, and that's 5 years after the introduction of 5G. I can see the same issue arising again in future, when the 4G network will eventually and inevitably reach the end of its natural life.

With a bit more foresight, MB would have fitted current-generation modems to their cars. Not sure if the issue here is very slow R&D cycles, or just penny-pinching.

Eh..eh... that's not really the point, though.

The real issue here is that MB have been fitting old tech to their cars for years now, at least when it comes to the infotainment system.

The first MB 'connected cars' were introduced in mid-2013, that's a good 4 years after the start of the 4G LTE rollout in Europe, and yet these cars were equipped with a 3G modem - 3G was first introduced 10 years earlier, in 2003. MB only started equipping their cars with 4G modems in 2017, i.e. when the tech was already nearly a decade old.

Last I checked, MB were still offering new cars with 4G modems, and that's 5 years after the introduction of 5G. I can see the same issue arising again in future, when the 4G network will eventually and inevitably reach the end of its natural life.

With a bit more foresight, MB would have fitted current-generation modems to their cars. Not sure if the issue here is very slow R&D cycles, or just penny-pinching.
After humans picking up a virus as a result of the launch of 5g, Mercedes are perhaps just paying safe so that their cars don’t pick it up too 😁

Hi , what happens when 6G arrives ?

The luddites will burn down the masts....?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom