Mercedes Naming System?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model S, Model 3 LR, Model X /// Previous: Jaguar XFR, Mercedes E320 CDI, C32 AMG, CLK 320
This used to be straight forward..

My CLK320 is a 3.2l engine, an E55 is a 5.5l...

Recently I have noted for example the C63 is a 4l bi-turbo?? Rather than say the 2012 ones which are the full fat 6.3l n/a

Confused?

No...it's been thus for years now. The last 320cdi was a 3litre...from 2006. BTW the E55 was a 5.4. the C63 was a 6.2.

Yep, years.

The 6.3 was 6.3 at one point. (It's 6.2 in the C63 before becoming the 4.0L BiT)

It's not just downsizing, my 280 is a 3.0.

My next E350 is a 3.0L too.

I've also been reading the CLS500 is in fact 5.5???

Surely it'd be more appealing to be CLS550 I'd definitely more likely buy it if was 5.5 rather than 5?

I've also been reading the CLS500 is in fact 5.5???

Surely it'd be more appealing to be CLS550 I'd definitely more likely buy it if was 5.5 rather than 5?

Those who know, know.

That's what they are called in the states cos they love big badge engineering.
SL550
CLS550
S550

etc ......

Saw a bright red cls550 on the M6 today left hand drive. Presume a US import.

Didn't they switch to the power and/or torque figure for a while? So my "350" is actually 350Nm of peak torque; it's not 350PS, that's for sure.

Rather confusingly, it is also 3500cc.

Didn't they switch to the power and/or torque figure for a while? So my "350" is actually 350Nm of peak torque; it's not 350PS, that's for sure.

Rather confusingly, it is also 3500cc.

Donno, what year is it? My 08 C280 is 300nm and 3.0L (2997cc)

My W204 C180 is not 1.8L (it's 1.6L).

The W204 C250 CGI however, is 1.8L.

The old W203 had the same 1.8L engine (with different state of tune) in the C180, C200, and C230.

Etc etc.

It was 1.8 (SC) until the facelift, when it downsized to 1.6T, but with almost identical power, but more torque throughout the range, and better economy.

It's just downsizing for efficiency.

1.6 Engines were introduced with the pre-facelift Kompressor models. From 2008 to 2010 the C180K BE had the 1.6 L engine with identical power and torque to the previous supercharged 1.8 L C180.

One difference which will have helped the improved economy with the 1.6 engine is the balance shafts were omitted for reduced internal friction. That's one length of chain and 3 sprockets not to have to worry about.

Bizarrely the first 1.6 turbo engined C180 in 2011 had slightly worse economy and emissions than the previous supercharged C180K BE. At least some of the difference may have been due to wider tyres.

Nahhhhh.

I was fairly sure I knew what I was talking about with that, as I've had both, by proxy...

It just doesn't make sense!

Whats the point of even having this naming system???

If the CLS500 doesn't have a 5L engine why would you call it a 500. Whats the pattern?

Oh well

Because times move on?!?!

When times are, that a naming convention works for your engine size range works, what do you do when you can make twice that power with half the cylinder size...?

You're being silly, it's obvious, just grow up, seriously.

I honestly don't understand why you're struggling with this, times move on. My 3L V6 makes twice the power one 15 years before makes. It makes half the power one of today does.

It just doesn't make sense!

Whats the point of even having this naming system???

If the CLS500 doesn't have a 5L engine why would you call it a 500. Whats the pattern?

Oh well

Marketing and advertising. If they followed the engine naming to the last cc, then by the time people got used to the old naming (e.g. SL500), MB would need to start again with the SL470. Just to change it again in a few (or couple of) years as engines don't follow the same cycle as chassis. In a way it's trying to keep things simpler for the average buyer. What's more, naturally higher means better in people's minds so again better chances of selling SL400 over 300. I understand this and still hate it with passion. Btw, my E55 is in fact a 5.6. I prefer to understate than to overstate when it comes to performance. ;)

This is similar to computer processors. They used to be labelled according to their clock speed but advances in design meant power was increased using other methods. The average non-informed prospective purchaser will easily understand a higher number means more power rather than having to understand the underlying technology.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom