Mercedes Naming System?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
-- and my W205 is shown on the door pillar, and the V5C as a type W204 !

It's marketing and you have it admit it makes sense in marketing terms when forced induction is involved to provide several different power and torque outputs from the same capacity engine.

By comparison I would suggest Ford got it wrong trying to market a Mondeo 1.0 eco boost. That's a substantially bigger car than a C class with a 1.0 Litre engine. I wonder how many more they would sell if they hid the fact that the engine was that small.

Because times move on?!?!

When times are, that a naming convention works for your engine size range works, what do you do when you can make twice that power with half the cylinder size...?

You're being silly, it's obvious, just grow up, seriously.

I honestly don't understand why you're struggling with this, times move on. My 3L V6 makes twice the power one 15 years before makes. It makes half the power one of today does.

Try reading one of his other (many, many) posts.................

Because times move on?!?!

When times are, that a naming convention works for your engine size range works, what do you do when you can make twice that power with half the cylinder size...?

You're being silly, it's obvious, just grow up, seriously.

I honestly don't understand why you're struggling with this, times move on. My 3L V6 makes twice the power one 15 years before makes. It makes half the power one of today does.

LOL I was reading your thread where you were arguing with Ricky... seems you just look for trouble :doh:

Don't fell compelled to reply.. if you dont have anything nice to say don't say anything at all...

Last edited:
I think I just tend to step in dog **** a lot. :dk: :thumb:

I look for trouble? I'm not the one who got himself banned after many warnings.

Oh and don't tell me how to fell, and wouldn't it be good if people only ever communicated nice things? Hey, why not just drop all the negative and derogatory words from the dictionary!! :bannana:

Last edited:
By comparison I would suggest Ford got it wrong trying to market a Mondeo 1.0 eco boost. That's a substantially bigger car than a C class with a 1.0 Litre engine. I wonder how many more they would sell if they hid the fact that the engine was that small.

Yep, big marketing blunder. "Look how small the engine is!" isn't something the general public are going to be enthused about. They should have just talked about how much power it has and how efficient it is.

A lot of cars are coming without any engine size suggestions on the back at all now, and the ones that still do tend to just refer to a hierarchy of power rathe than engine size.

I think I just tend to step in dog **** a lot. :dk: :thumb:

I look for trouble? I'm not the one who got himself banned after many warnings.

Oh and don't tell me how to fell, and wouldn't it be good if people only ever communicated nice things? Hey, why not just drop all the negative and derogatory words from the dictionary!! :bannana:

Don't get me wrong... You are entitled to your opinion, I'd just rather we all kept on good terms, to keep this place as friendly as possible?

Italian cars are called Giulietta, Aurelia, Flavia, Chroma, Aregenta, Fulvia.....

German cars are called 'Gelandewagen G Fünf Hundert'.... what's not to understand? :D

Just to rub it in, the new face lift S500 is no longer a 4.7 V8 but a 3.0 straight six.
The Yanks are going to be disappointed with their 560 when they open the bonnet (hood)

In the end it all boils down to commonality of parts. Let's go back a few years and look at, say the BMW (wash my mouth with soap) 3 series. You had the 316 (which was a 4 cylinder 1.6) 320 (6 cylinder 2 litre) and 323 (6 cylinder 2.3 litre). Then along came the 318, 325, 328, etc. etc., all with different displacements and needing different parts to assemble.

Scroll forwards to today, and due to modern engine management systems, the equivalent car can be offered in half a dozen different varieties with only 2 engine builds - 2 litre 4 cylinder and 3 litre 6 cylinder. OK, there might be marginal differences in ancillaries - a turbo here, an exhaust configuration there - but the base engine is pretty much the same which offers the manufacturers huge economies of scale. Build 'em all the same, bolt on a few extras, blow a map into the ECU and bob's your uncle. Next..

The difference in nomenclature basically boils down to marketing BS. For the reasons above, there probably isn't that much difference in manufacturing cost between the top and bottom specs for any given engine, but the thinking is if you've paid a couple of grand more for that extra 50 BHP you're going to want the badge to prove it. Personally, I don't give a toss (hence why my AMG is debadged), but that's not how marketing men think..

Cheers,

Gaz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom