Mercedes new engines.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Very interesting. I would have thought the I6 would pose a design issue for fitting 6 clyinder engines to C class models and Vans, which is why they moved to a Vee design.

Perhaps, this spells the end of 6pot engines in the van ranges as well as the c class cars.

Perhaps, this spells the end of 6pot engines in the van ranges as well as the c class cars.

Could well do. The race for power output might well be coming to an abrupt end as emission regulations tighten.

Could well do. The race for power output might well be coming to an abrupt end as emission regulations tighten.

Or we've hit the point where modern cars deliver more performance than we ever need or want.

An E250cdi will outperform an E270cdi and match the old E320cdi I6 for power and torque and return the same, if not better MPG. An E350cdi is a bit of a rocketship now with pretty much 210 E430 performance.

In the C class segment, you'd really have to want a 6pot to justify it over a 4pot given the speeds the C250cdi can do.

Call me spoiled, but I just like 6 clyinder engines for smoothness. The 4's will never match that however being 100kg lighter, the thought of less spring rate, and a less nose heavy car also appeal.

If BMW have anything to do with mercedes engines then say good bye to reliability!

new turbo every 30-40K!

Steve, a E350 CDi will kill an E430, more or less same bhp but the Torque on the CDi is more than some AMG V8's!

I reckon a Brabus D6 E/C350 CDi will beat a stock C43 AMG!

I reckon a Brabus D6 E/C350 CDi will beat a stock C43 AMG!

I think a 350 Cdi will give an E/C55 a run for it's money anywhere but a dyno or track and even then a N/a 55 would be in trouble.

Acceleration no chance. mid range id say maybe your right it would give them a good run for a couple of gears before the CDi runs out of puff..

on track the CDi don't work, runs out of revs too quickly, C55 would run rings round it even a W210 E55 i'd say.

The C55 managed the same time as an E46 M3 round the ring.

Call me spoiled, but I just like 6 clyinder engines for smoothness.

I nearly bought a C220 but ended up with a C270 instead and I soooo love the engine. I'm minded to keep it for as long as possible as I'm much more likely to go down to a 4cyl next than up to a 6.

I nearly bought a C220 but ended up with a C270 instead and I soooo love the engine. I'm minded to keep it for as long as possible as I'm much more likely to go down to a 4cyl next than up to a 6.

I thought you toying with the idea of an ML?

Mind you the new model could well end up having the 250cdi engine as an option?

I thought you toying with the idea of an ML?

Mind you the new model could well end up having the 250cdi engine as an option?

Yes, I just don't think I could live with the MPG from a 6cyl ML as I really only use my car for long journeys. There is a 4 cyl slated for the new model.

I haven't heard back from the dealership anyway so now I'll have to make a fuss if I chase them, which then puts pressure on me. To be honest, I'm not sure about the ML at all, even some die-hard MB fans don't rate them, and I'm not even one of those.

I like the sound of small V8's, they tend to rev quite well........:)

Or we've hit the point where modern cars deliver more performance than we ever need or want.

An E250cdi will outperform an E270cdi and match the old E320cdi I6 for power and torque and return the same, if not better MPG. An E350cdi is a bit of a rocketship now with pretty much 210 E430 performance.

In the C class segment, you'd really have to want a 6pot to justify it over a 4pot given the speeds the C250cdi can do.

Call me spoiled, but I just like 6 clyinder engines for smoothness. The 4's will never match that however being 100kg lighter, the thought of less spring rate, and a less nose heavy car also appeal.
I am pleased to join in with your love of a smooth six.

I am pleased to join in with your love of a smooth six.

The 6pots are so smooth, mine is a smooth engine full stop, not "just smooth for a diesel". Power really is immense, it absolutely flies and never makes me want for more. Well, you can always want more, but this really is more than enough.

Reading that link of Graemes is most interesting as Renault/Nissan will be building Mercedes 4 pot engines from 2014. Petrol and diesel. A straight 6 would be easy to develop from an inline 4 and probably for the new C class and vans, a 6pot diesel won't be offered so the more compact Vee configuration won't be needed. The V6 was designed to fit in vans. So we have a car with a van engine. Those lucky van drivers, but they pay for it with rust.

A 3000cc inline 6 will fit in the E class, S class, and ML segement cars. It should be an "easier" engine to engineer and design and hopefully give better reliability as well as performance. The current 642 engine has been around since 2005 so if its axed in 2014 along with the Renault Nissan alliance engines (and being a derivative thereof) I won't be surprised

The 6pots are so smooth, mine is a smooth engine full stop, not "just smooth for a diesel". Power really is immense, it absolutely flies and never makes me want for more. Well, you can always want more, but this really is more than enough.

Agreed. My V6 slug is beautifully refined.

My wife's 6 pot 2.5L Z4 is way better than the 2.3L 4 pot lump she had in her SLK (I used to call it the tractor).

That said back in my biking days there was a certain something about a big thumpy twin over a 4 cylinder UJM.

Agreed. My V6 slug is beautifully refined.

My wife's 6 pot 2.5L Z4 is way better than the 2.3L 4 pot lump she had in her SLK (I used to call it the tractor).

That said back in my biking days there was a certain something about a big thumpy twin over a 4 cylinder UJM.

Even the diesel MB V6 is smooth, no vibrations. Very cultured at low to medium revs, at high revs it sounds like a hushed van engine but you barely hear it, windows up or down.

I've owned a 3litre straight 6 BMW petrol, that was a lovely lovely engine. My cousin had the 2.2 I6 in a Z4, seemed rapid and very smooth if a tad harsher than the 3litre.

4pot engines are very workman like. Only driven two I liked the sound, one was a Subaru Impreza boxer 4, and the other was Shudes C230k. Driven Golf GTi, quiet, strong and effiecient yes, but I prefer my V6CDi for sounds etc. Makes a very harsh sound.

The future for luxury engines that are downsized are five pots. Cultured, smooth and interesting sounds, but still suitable small to confer decent handling and fitment into a smallish car, and still small enough not to have the losses that occur in larger engines.

I read with dismay that Volvo are discontinuing their 5pot engines. The were very smooth (driven a D5 V70 - nearly up there with the V6CDi) and frugal and never harsh like a 4pot.

They do a spendid 5pot in the RS3 and TT-S. Like a mini V10....

It was commonly regarded that the 270cdi was the best engine to have in a 211 and 203 for economy/power/refinement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom