Mercedes Nottingham - to wash or not to wash?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks for the responses all. As it turns out, the snow was so bad last night that I couldn't move the car off my drive to get to the dealership anyway lol But will be making sure it doesn't get touched when I go on the 10th Feb :)

I work at a car dealership, and all I will say, is that your car will only have a very quick wash and vac, as its only a courtesy was.

Thanks for the responses all. As it turns out, the snow was so bad last night that I couldn't move the car off my drive to get to the dealership anyway lol But will be making sure it doesn't get touched when I go on the 10th Feb :)
At the very least, if you don't get the chance to give her a proper wash before the 10th, wash the wings - many workshops put 'protectors' over them when working on the engine, but they move slightly as the mechanic leans in and out. Fine until you realise the protector has been put on top of dirt containing grit which then ends up scratching your paint - so clean wings is an absolute must.

Like there are good and bad dealers around the UK, there are good and bad car wash guys that work there. I'm sure some of them actually do care for the job they are doing on your car.
I watched MB Poole car wash operating and decided I'd leave a note asking them not to wash it after my last service. I also told the service manager and he made a note on the work sheet.

I would never let Nottingham wash my car or even service it. I assume that your car is out of warrant, if so I would recommend The MB Centre on Little Tennis Street. 01159506050. Speak to Gary they do all my cars that are out of warrant (5) If still in warranty I use MB Chesterfield. No connection with MB Centre other than a satisfied customer.

I would never let Nottingham wash my car or even service it. I assume that your car is out of warrant, if so I would recommend The MB Centre on Little Tennis Street. 01159506050. Speak to Gary they do all my cars that are out of warrant (5) If still in warranty I use MB Chesterfield. No connection with MB Centre other than a satisfied customer.

Care to elaborate on why you think I should avoid MB Nottingham? Did your car get damaged during a service or a valet? If so when was that? Difficult for me to justify using an indy currently since i've just forked out for a 3 year service plan....

In an unexpected bought of compassion....

To be fair to the washers, they will probably be paid on a piece rate or are instructed to do X washer per hour or a set time per wash e.g. 7 minutes or some other wholly inadequate quota. The only thing they can do in this time is throw a bucket of water on it and rub in the grit.

Don't blame the washers; it's Dealership/Group management that understand that most people they see don't give a hoot about their car, probably because it is company provided or lease, and therefore a shed load of surface scratching and marring doesn't hit anyone in the pocket at car return time. Everyone else is probably a minor part of their business model (turnover wise), and therefore a minor consideration.
An accurate observation. Car enthusiasts whose lives are lived around their cars are a pain to companies needing to make a living. Just like the car anorak prowling car showrooms asking endless questions & showing off their knowledge, even trying to catch out the salesperson who just wants to make a sale to a buyer not a fantasying time-wasting hobbyist. I know, been there & suffered accordingly

Must say my (Lexus) dealership always asks if they should wash the car after servicing and I've said yes, if the car was dirty. It's always been returned spotlessly clean and not a mark anywhere. Even inside, I'd love to know how they get the rear screen so clean!
Yes Lexus dealers are the same on both sides of the pond.
Its the Toyota Way! From cars to trucks to forklifts, only one way, Toyota way . Ah so!
Tuercas Viejas

Care to elaborate on why you think I should avoid MB Nottingham? Did your car get damaged during a service or a valet? If so when was that? Difficult for me to justify using an indy currently since i've just forked out for a 3 year service plan....
Isn’t MB derby closer For you? MB Nottingham are decent in my experience..

Isn’t MB derby closer For you? MB Nottingham are decent in my experience..
Actually both dealers are more or less the same distance from me, good to hear Notts aren't horrendous - can always switch if I need to I suppose. Course, if this snow doesn't f**k off i'll be going nowhere again on Wednesday lol

For anyone who's interested, got my car serviced and MOT'd at MB (Inchcape) Notts yesterday, have to say, service was fabulous - had a few other bits done too (Satnav maps, aircon recharge etc) and everything was done very quick and with no fuss. Even got a GLB220d courtesy car which wasn't bad at all.

The only thing that is outstanding now is a diff oil change which was missed by the previous owner so on this occasion isn't covered under the service plan, they didn't have time to do it yesterday so its booked in again next month. Overall 10/10 to be fair to them!

Didn't have it washed or vacuumed though :)

I vouch for this, wouldn't let them service car let alone wash it... Absolutely ruined my old 507 when it went in for warranty work.

I vouch for this, wouldn't let them service car let alone wash it... Absolutely ruined my old 507 when it went in for warranty work.
When was that if you don’t mind me asking? I can’t honestly complain about the level of service I received yesterday.

When was that if you don’t mind me asking? I can’t honestly complain about the level of service I received yesterday.
Hi, I would never let them touch it. They haven’t got a clue on how to safely wash a car.

I personally don’t let any dealers wash my cars. Not one. If you decide to do the same then leave a note inside in a prominent position, don’t rely on the service advisor and technician passing on the message.
Dealers across the board, (I think), have changed. They used to do a lot of stuff in house. They had their own body shops some had jigs and all kinds of things,
Never forget having my car serviced a few years back and looking at it on return - it had the tell tale signs of a car wash.

I always ensure that my cars go in clean and make sure that the service attendant writes down DO NOT WASH. However. Wouldn’t take my car into MB Nottingham for a start. All my cars that are in manufactures warranty go to MB Chesterfield, those out of warranty go to the MB Centre onLittle Tennis Street Colwick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom