Mercedes Oil cost

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think it's dead simple really. The sticker in my engine bay says Mercedes recommends Mobil 1. So I make sure that's what my indie uses. It's not stupid expensive and oil is the lifeblood of your motor.

I think it's dead simple really. The sticker in my engine bay says Mercedes recommends Mobil 1. So I make sure that's what my indie uses. It's not stupid expensive and oil is the lifeblood of your motor.
This is fine, but this only applied to AMG cars from a certain era.

For the majority of MB cars, MB simply provides the oil spec but they make no recommendation regarding a preferred brand.

I'm pretty sure that Mercedes Benz does not make oil. Just by a known brand (Castrol / Mobil / Shell / Chevron etc) diesel rated oil and you'll be fine.
As far as I know the MB-Branded oil is manufactured by Petronas.

However, it is not possible to tell if the MB oil is the same as some of the Petronas-branded oils, or perhaps MB specified their preferred oil blend and additives pack and so the MB-branded oil is custom-made by Petronas for MB.

A quick Internet search shows that at least on some oil containers MB actually mention Petronas:

img_6278_fb02850b4099f8d1774f726b97e7a201761f4ea5.jpg

Screenshot-20190605-000243-Chrome.jpg

I get 229.51 for my diesel from MB Bridgend for £3/L (20l =£60 delivered)

However, it is not possible to tell if the MB oil is the same as some of the Petronas-branded oils, or perhaps MB specified their preferred oil blend and additives pack and so the MB-branded oil is custom-made by Petronas for MB.

I'm 99.999999999999999999999% sure that it does not matter and that the price is for the packaging. Any modern branded oil will meet the specification for that required viscosity. In the US, oils are rated by the American Petroleum Institute to indicate whether they meet the standards listed no the bottle. I suspect that there is a similar standard in the UK or EU. Example for Mobil 1 0w40 from their website:

Specifications and Approvals

Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 meets or exceeds the requirements of:
API SN, SM, SL, SJ
ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4
FIAT 9.55535-M2

Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 has the following builder approvals:
MB-Approval 229.3
MB-Approval 229.5
VW 502 00/505 00
PORSCHE A40
Nissan Genuine Performances

According to ExxonMobil, Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 is of the following quality:
API CF
VW 503 01
FIAT 9.55535-M2

In the US, Amazon has started selling fully synthetic 0w40 engine oil @ $25 for 5 quarts delivered. It has the highest API rating. I've not used it yet because Walmart sells 5 quarts of Mobil 1 for $23 when on sale and I have maybe 6 jugs to get through before I need to.

You'd be wiser to save the money and change the oil more often then the recommended service intervals.

In the US, Amazon has started selling fully synthetic 0w40 engine oil @ $25 for 5 quarts delivered. It has the highest API rating. .

Do you have a link to the above please? (My search only brings up UK available products).
API CK-4? Yes?

Item does not ship to the uk.

Even if it did it's still more expensive than genuine MB oil delivered free off ebay.

It's puzzling that this thread has dragged on when the genuine MB product is available so cheaply. The only reason to look elsewhere is if you think other oils are better. While that's certainly possible it would be a hard thing for the layman to quantify.

Even if it did it's still more expensive than genuine MB oil delivered free off ebay.

It's puzzling that this thread has dragged on when the genuine MB product is available so cheaply. The only reason to look elsewhere is if you think other oils are better. While that's certainly possible it would be a hard thing for the layman to quantify.

I use the mb oil in all my cars . And any future cars also will be getting it poured in.

I'm like that but with VW oil .

Yes the Pd oil is a good offering also and takes a good beating.

Just wait till the new iOil is launched. You'll all be using that.

I wouldn't buy the iOil, it will need to be updated every few weeks.

Here's an oldie:

If Microsoft Made Cars

EDIT: Just re-read it, some of it has already happened.. and applies to modern cars.

i knew someone who worked at mb they was buying oil in bulk for a £1 a litre then selling for £12-£15 a litre he said highway robbery

Quite.
When the oil is API- CK-4 rated but only has MB228.31 approval when MB229.5 is stipulated and can be met by API- CF but yet gives demonstrably better performance in service.
Best call the marketing men in, do what's been done for decades (sponsor racing cars), and cash in (selling oils with a spec from 1992 (API-CF)).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom